It's never to early for Bracketology! | The Boneyard

It's never to early for Bracketology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Charlie Crème has UConn as the 1-seed in South Bend with ND the 2-seed: http://espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

The Louisville bracket has 1. Duke, 2.Tenn, 3. Louisville

The Nebraska bracket has 1. Maryland, 2. Kentucky, 3. Nebraska

The Palo Alto bracket has 1. Stanford 2. Cal, 3. LSU

If Charlie is correct, the FF run for UConn or ND will end this year, as will the FF drought for Tennessee or Duke. (I'm not a Louisville believer.)

I think ND earns a #1 seed, as Charlie always underestimates Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I think you are more than likely correct on Notre Dame as a #1 seed. The more likely scenario, in my opinion, would be if the committee punished Stanford for a relatively weak schedule, in which case I could see them as a #2 seed in Palo Alto with either Maryland, Duke or Tennessee (if they improve during the season) as the #1 seed. On the other hand, I think it is more likely that the committee places Tennessee in the same bracket with UConn than that they would place UConn and Notre Dame in the same bracket.

Jim

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA would love to have ND, UConn AND the LV in the final four along with, maybe, Louisville or Duke. That would be their best draw.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA would love to have ND, UConn AND the LV in the final four along with, maybe, Louisville or Duke. That would be their best draw.
I think you need a team for West coast audiences, so Stanford would need to be the 4th. Then I agree that ESPN would be thrilled!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think you are more than likely correct on Notre Dame as a #1 seed. The more likely scenario, in my opinion, would be if the committee punished Stanford for a relatively weak schedule, in which case I could see them as a #2 seed in Palo Alto with either Maryland, Duke or Tennessee (if they improve during the season) as the #1 seed. On the other hand, I think it is more likely that the committee places Tennessee in the same bracket with UConn than that they would place UConn and Notre Dame in the same bracket.

Jim
But is Stanford's schedule really that weak? As it stands presently, Stanford has OOC games against #1 UConn, #4 Tennessee, #18 Purdue, and #25 Gonzaga along with conference games against #10 Cal (twice) and #17 Colorado. If Stanford can finish the season with just one more loss, I'll bet they're rewarded with a #1 seed, especially since they are hosting a regional.

Reaction Score
I for one am not that sold on Stanford. I just cant go with a team that relies so much on one player. Just like last year, they lack both depth and balance so even though Chiney is really consistent, there are still too many variables which could derail them. Besides I believe Cal matches up really well with Stanford and might beat them twice this year taking first in the Pac 12. Cal is far better than they looked against Duke. Duke is just a really bad match up for them, best player Gen. Brandon wasn't game ready and Cal's key frosh will only get better as the season progresses.

Barring unforeseen collapses, probably the top two teams in the ACC will get #1 seeds. Who that will be is, however is up to speculation. As are a lot of the other rankings because the season has bearly started.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But is Stanford's schedule really that weak? As it stands presently, Stanford has OOC games against #1 UConn, #4 Tennessee, #18 Purdue, and #25 Gonzaga along with conference games against #10 Cal (twice) and #17 Colorado. If Stanford can finish the season with just one more loss, I'll bet they're rewarded with a #1 seed, especially since they are hosting a regional.
I agree. I think at times Stanford looked better than I anticipated, but the reality is that UCONN beat them soundly with limited contributions from KML or Breanna.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I for one am not that sold on Stanford. I just cant go with a team that relies so much on one player. Just like last year, they lack both depth and balance so even though Chiney is really consistent, there are still too many variables which could derail them. Besides I believe Cal matches up really well with Stanford and might beat them twice this year taking first in the Pac 12. Cal is far better than they looked against Duke. Duke is just a really bad match up for them, best player Gen. Brandon wasn't game ready and Cal's key frosh will only get better as the season progresses.

Barring unforeseen collapses, probably the top two teams in the ACC will get #1 seeds. Who that will be is, however is up to speculation. As are a lot of the other rankings because the season has bearly started.
Cal's key frosh will get better, but so will Stanford's higher-rated freshmen. I was impressed with Courtney Range's athleticism, but she may have the same problem as a lot of Cal's players in that she cannot shoot well (sample size is too small to conclusive obviously). In her first two games, Range has averaged 12 boards/game in 28 minutes/game, but she has shot 5/17, which is 29% and very low for a forward. Erica McCall (a UConn target) and Kailee Johnson are both top 20 prospects, so they should improve as the season progresses, and that can only help Stanford. I'll bet the 2 schools split their back-to-back home-and-home series this season.

Reaction Score
You are correct Choke it is too small a sample size. Range is actual a wing not a forward( she possesses guard skills ) she played forward out of necessity because Brandon was limited because of her not quite being back from her injuries. You take ratings much too seriously. A lot of that is based on exposure in as which AAU team that they play for. Some players purposefully limit their own exposure. Both Johnson and McCall are forwards/post players, while Stanford's depth problems are at guard. The Cal freshman are guards/perimeter players where they can make an immediate impact. As I stated before Cal is a bad match up for Stanford in that they will dominate their guards.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Cal yet, but not sure any team will dominate Stanford's guards in the next two years - Orrange was pretty impressive in Storrs and I know what Tara can do with a team in from Nov. - March. They have two legit stars and a lot of new material to work with. I think they are going to be very hard to knock off in the Pac this year and should be favored in the rest of their OOC schedule.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
We'll soon have a better measure of MD. They beat USF by 8, which isn't much, although we know that USF can play surprisingly tough. Friday will be a better measure, although still imperfect.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think where the records warrant it, the committee will try to award #1 seeds to the teams that are hosting a Regional. If there are close questions between two teams, the team hosting a regional will get the benefit of the doubt. This would eliminate the media firestorm that would happen when a #1 seed is sent to a regional where they have to play the #2 seeded team on their home court. If its obvious that a team hosting a regional should not get a #1 seed, then they won't get one. But if its a close call, they will get it.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The thing I would watch for Stanford is their defense.
They have given up 70+ points in their first two games.........very un-Stanford like.
If you look at the BC game, which I didn't see but looked at the stats, Stanford gave up 71 points and held BC scoreless for 10+ minutes in the first half. So in reality they gave up 71 points in just under 30 minutes, including 47 points in the second half.
Stanford didn't give up 70 points to anyone last year.
Both of Stanford's games this year the opponent averaged 39% shooting. Both opponents had stronger second halves then first halves shooting % wise.
2 games isn't a true sample size, but we should see how the Farm does in future games.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Early is a verb? I like to early from time to time...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The thing I would watch for Stanford is their defense.
They have given up 70+ points in their first two games.........very un-Stanford like.
If you look at the BC game, which I didn't see but looked at the stats, Stanford gave up 71 points and held BC scoreless for 10+ minutes in the first half. So in reality they gave up 71 points in just under 30 minutes, including 47 points in the second half.
Stanford didn't give up 70 points to anyone last year.
Both of Stanford's games this year the opponent averaged 39% shooting. Both opponents had stronger second halves then first halves shooting % wise.
2 games isn't a true sample size, but we should see how the Farm does in future games.
Good point but I think it points to a young team that can't make the adjustments that Tara would normally be able to make as teams adjust to Stanford's initial defense and also a product of the new rules making teams back off as fouls mount and definitely helping offensive players. I have been surprised by a lot of teams giving up lots of points in wins. It almost seems like a UNC approach to offense (with a little more control!) may be around the corner.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Willtalk what happened to Cal in the St Marys scrimmage, I heard you lost by 2? I don't think Cal is as good as last year, so we will see. I wish they were as it would have been the team to knock the cards of their perch. I think Clarendon was huge for Cal, calming when needed at point, scorer, end of game player, then Caldwell was also huge, in more ways than 1. She was their immovable player in the paint, they lack consistency in the paint this year. And don't forget Pierre, their pest, not so much a threat v the card but did so much in a lot of other games. I know they hope for Brandon to be back at full strength but she also needed to improve her game and the injury seems to have set her back in that regards also, so that is a big if and time will tell also. Its hard to go into a season from injury. I am interested to see how USC responds to CCoop.

Reaction Score
Too many days between now and mid March......I like UCONN to win both games this week and at Duke............I hear KML is practices her left hand hook shot.........

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
First, sorry, my response to the title is "Yes it is".

I watched the Duke / Cal game on the U and came to the same conclusion as after watching the Tenn / UNC game - it is way too early to form a solid opinion.

Stanford's schedule is solid, OOC wise. Not spectacular, but solid. IMHO, an awful lot of teams don't even reach "solid", although admittedly most of them are not contending for #1 seeds. In conference, it is way too early to form a solid opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom