It's amazing how quickly people have turned on Pasqualoni | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's amazing how quickly people have turned on Pasqualoni

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
two coaching decisions were instrumental in both losses

at Vandy with < 7 minutes left, trying to pass the ball when your QB is playing pitiful instead of running, then punting, then let your defense win the game. The pick 6 changed the game, coach admits he made the wrong decision.

vs ISU with about 6 minutes left, 3rd and about ten and your defense is winning the battle on the field by being aggressive. They decide to rush 3, the QB pitches a tent while waiting for his WR to get open 20 yards down field for a 1st down

in two games, they go away from what they do best at critical moments and the result is two plays that led to two defeats

that's scary

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Great post

Incredible. Though, really, given my experience on sports team based message boards, I should know this is how the horde behaves - totally reactionary, lacking perspective, demanding someone's - anyone's - head at the first sign of trouble. I'm the fool - assuming an entire message board of hundreds of posters could remain reasonable for a season, adjust their expectations, look for improvement, etc. But that was already out the door last week.

The vast majority of this board before the season was happy we got P, talking about his recruiting, his history, his personality, how he brought in an aggressive D coordinator. All of this was bandied about as reasons he was an upgrade even.

Now two close games with Edsall's players and he sucks. I hope some of you see the absurdity of that.

Reaction Score
Blue Dogs has it right. The team has got players and they can play. How a coach with these players can't find a way to beat Vandy or Iowa St. (or worse, look really bad in losing) leads me to think we have a problem on the sidelines.
Because the 60+yo coaches can't play? The execution has been terrible. RE was right about that much of the time. The qbs have made us look even worse than we really are because they are soooo predictable it's pathetic. When I can predict the next play sitting at home, you know others can too.

Reaction Score
Yes..Edsall called PP on the sideline last week and told him to pass on 3rd and long instead of running and then punting it so the defense, which had Vandy by the balls after the first quarter, could end the game.

Edsall also called his players on the sideline to confuse them vs Vandy so they were running on and off the field getting penalties and causing a TO to be called.

Edsall also is the reason our special teams suck because before he left he told his players that they couldn't do what he taught them so after he's gone Nick Williams is on his own this year.

To top it off Edsall called PP and said "I really didn't have any luck sticking with one QB for the past 5 years...I think you should play 3 every game...then go with the one who gives you continuity. Then go back to the others.

To blame Edsall just shows the pure hatred some had and don't want to see the obvious.

PP has shown nothing to get excited about. Please enlighten me on what he's done to say..."hmmmm..I think he's on to something" Don't give me that he's new crap. He's a former NFL coach...remember?
Coach PP is great talker and a very good transition coach. But look at the performance on the field after 3 games. It was poor. I had great hope for PP but his decision making and choices of OC and play calling destroy any confidence I had in him !!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no choice but to support him because he is the coach, but the first two legitimate games of the PP era have been a complete and utter disgrace.

The only thing that kept Rentschler from being a complete circus last night was that they don't sell cotton candy at the games.

If you are going to blame Edsall for the roster, at the same time you should be honest and admit that Edsall would be 3-0. Hell this staff has been a complete debacle across the board and still could have been 3-0.

F

fortebleedsblue

There is no choice but to support him because he is the coach, but the first two legitimate games of the PP era have been a complete and utter disgrace.

The only thing that kept Rentschler from being a complete circus last night was that they don't sell cotton candy at the games.

If you are going to blame Edsall for the roster, at the same time you should be honest and admit that Edsall would be 3-0. Hell this staff has been a complete debacle across the board and still could have been 3-0.

Its the play calling and the decisions. This staff knows what it has to work with ... instead of being leaders and making tough choices they are being indecisive. We are getting reports that its McCombs AND Shoemate for starter, or reports that DJ is healthy .. well actually he's not healthy yet. Where is the benefit in playing 3 different QB's in a single drive? Just because you have every play in the book and then some doesn't mean you need to use them all. Outside of the Don Brown here is no leadership nor consistency from the coaching side to bring this team to the level it should be at.

Reaction Score
Incredible. Though, really, given my experience on sports team based message boards, I should know this is how the horde behaves - totally reactionary, lacking perspective, demanding someone's - anyone's - head at the first sign of trouble. I'm the fool - assuming an entire message board of hundreds of posters could remain reasonable for a season, adjust their expectations, look for improvement, etc. But that was already out the door last week.

The vast majority of this board before the season was happy we got P, talking about his recruiting, his history, his personality, how he brought in an aggressive D coordinator. All of this was bandied about as reasons he was an upgrade even.

Now two close games with Edsall's players and he sucks. I hope some of you see the absurdity of that.
+1

Reaction Score
+1 its an accumulation of play calling(such as not going for it on 4th and 1 at home)... not picking a QB, and PICKING DELEONE as OC
Are you referring to when we tried to draw them offside on around the 35 yard line then punted ?? If so you are CLUELESS.

Reaction Score
How is it HCPP fault when we miss 2 FG and miss wide open receiver when we ran the fake wildcat - a sure TD ??

Reaction Score
You can't argue that the offensive execution has sucked. What you can question is whose fault it is and unless you are part of the team it is all speculation? Are these guys well prepared to execute and simply do not or are they ill prepared...The only bad decisions from last night IMO were throwing the ball on 2nd and 2, 3rd and 3 and 4th and 2 with 30 seconds left at the 38. They had three time out and they could have still mixed it up.

BUT, I have actually loved what I have seen for game plans the last couple weeks. The defense is exciting a super aggressive. The offense is as wide open as you can be going 5 wide regularly and working in the Wildcat. It would be great if we had ONE QB to manage this offense, but unfortunately we do not. It is funny hearing the same people who criticized Edsall for boring and conservative play calling now complain about PP's play calling. These are night and day schemes we are seeing and the same people are complaining about both. You can't have it both ways.

I do not blame coaching for throwing poor passes and letting up sacks. I don't blame coaching for having to play FR and a walk on QB's because there is no other experienced choice. We knew the defense would have to carry the team this year and unfortunately the offense is doing just enough to lose games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

This is total BS. If this were last year you would have been saying, "Be honest, you know that Edsall isn't losing to Temple."

Reaction Score
You can't argue that the offensive execution has sucked. What you can question is whose fault it is and unless you are part of the team it is all speculation? Are these guys well prepared to execute and simply do not or are they ill prepared...The only bad decisions from last night IMO were throwing the ball on 2nd and 2, 3rd and 3 and 4th and 2 with 30 seconds left at the 38. They had three time out and they could have still mixed it up.

BUT, I have actually loved what I have seen for game plans the last couple weeks. The defense is exciting a super aggressive. The offense is as wide open as you can be going 5 wide regularly and working in the Wildcat. It would be great if we had ONE QB to manage this offense, but unfortunately we do not. It is funny hearing the same people who criticized Edsall for boring and conservative play calling now complain about PP's play calling. These are night and day schemes we are seeing and the same people are complaining about both. You can't have it both ways.

I do not blame coaching for throwing poor passes and letting up sacks. I don't blame coaching for having to play FR and a walk on QB's because there is no other experienced choice. We knew the defense would have to carry the team this year and unfortunately the offense is doing just enough to lose games.
You are right on 100%.

Reaction Score
It's 3 games in to the Coach P era and we are "loyalists" simply because we don't break out the Jump to Conclusins mat already? Wow. Well, slap me with the loyalist tag, I guess.

I would hope it is abundantly clear, but it obviously isn't with all the folks lighting themselves on fire here - but it takes TIME for a new coach to come in and make his mark. Far, far more than 3 games. There ain't a coach out there who is going to have his schemes completely implemented 3 games in to the season. Everything is different. You've got a ton of kids who all have to unlearn their old responsibilities and learn their new responsibilities. If you think this should be implemented to perfection in 3 games you are crazy. Look, we all want the team to win, and we all can see that the offense is anemic. The staff is still in the process of seeing what works with the pieces they have, and (hopefully) getting a little bit better each week. I'm sure there are certain plays that could have been called better. But to completely write off what Coach P brings to the table after three games makes NO sense. At all.

Nice post. I wouldn't write off PP at all. Not one bit. It's ridiculous to think that we would not take a step back. We lost Todman. We have no one to replace him. We have no experience at QB. None. In fact, the only improved positions on offense are the Moores, both seniors. They should improve, after all. But at the most important position on the field, QB, we are terribly deficient. That is not the fault of the current coaching staff.

Reaction Score
It is 3 games into an new system both ways. When the D lines up correctly - we re pretty good. As we get a bit more talented -we will have more margin for error. Put it this way, if we even had Cody Endres- we wouldbe 3 and 0 and no one would be complaining(at least too loudly for a UCONN fan)!!
With the amount of times the QB's have been hit this year, I wonder how many fumbles he would have had. He had a bad habit of putting it on the ground. It is also amazing how his legend grows every week he is not here. Ten years from now people will be saying he was an all time great Husky. I don't remember him being the great QB others here do. I guess that goes with the theory that the best QB on a team is the one that's not playing.

Reaction Score
Had Cody Endres not screwed up, and if Jordan Todman decided to return, instead of being a 5th rd. choice, this team might be undefeated to this point

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I for one have not turned on PP, I never wanted him in the first place and said so on the old board. I wanted a younger, offensive minded coach, not a 62 year-old retread. We're dealing with quarterbacks who are learning how to play college ball, but also with a headcoach adjusting to being a headcoach again. Basically this season will be very forgetable. PP is not Paterno so I have to believe his age hurts recruiting given that he will be 66 when his first class graduates. Players likely won't come to UCONN when they know they will certainly have a new coach to deal with at some point in their college careers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it's not so amazing really, that people are turning on him. 2 winnable games that were lost due to offensive ineptitude. and i agree with people who said they never wanted a 60+ year old coach. in the long run that will be viewed as a huge mistake IMHO

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is total BS. If this were last year you would have been saying, "Be honest, you know that Edsall isn't losing to Temple."

I guess, they have played two of the sloppiest games I've ever seen and still should have won both of them. Any semblance of competence and they are 3-0.

Reaction Score
It was rare that you saw WTF games under Edsall. You could say we've seen 2
already this year.

Reaction Score
I for one have not turned on PP, I never wanted him in the first place and said so on the old board. I wanted a younger, offensive minded coach, not a 62 year-old retread. We're dealing with quarterbacks who are learning how to play college ball, but also with a headcoach adjusting to being a headcoach again. Basically this season will be very forgetable. PP is not Paterno so I have to believe his age hurts recruiting given that he will be 66 when his first class graduates. Players likely won't come to UCONN when they know they will certainly have a new coach to deal with at some point in their college careers.

Totally agree. Should have gone for young gun,offensive minded coach.

Reaction Score
his negativity on the sidelines and his 'woe is me' i find extremely annoying. i wasn't one to bash on the hiring but i'm certainly scratching my head after watching the first 3 games.

Reaction Score
There are many things in this world that are amazing.

College football fans turning on a coach after a loss is about as far away from amazing as anything I can think of. In fact, it is entirely predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom