"It's a Loss. It's not crushing us" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

"It's a Loss. It's not crushing us"

Reaction Score
You could also argue that it was a different situation because the players were much more likable. It's much easier to root for guys like BS, Diggs, Foley than it is to root for a kid who gets in an accident racing a scooter on the eve of the season and a bunch of guys whose names you can't even keep straight because 1/2 the team transferred out. Call me crazy, but I want to root for a team that is actually likable and gives effort, not a team with the attitude of national champions and the production of the local YMCA team

How many players on the football teams roster vs basketball? You could only pick 3? Nice ratio to be proud of. Pretty easy for me to root for Vital, Whaley, Diarra, Carlton, Polley not sure why it's tough for you.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How many players on the football teams roster vs basketball? You could only pick 3? Nice ratio to be proud of. Pretty easy for me to root for Vital, Whaley, Diarra, Carlton, Polley not sure why it's tough for you.
Because he is a hair away from blowing the “thug” dog whistle. There isn’t anything inherently unlikeable about this team. They seem like a decent bunch of kids

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I like the kids. I think they try hard. Unfortunately, the way they've been coached they're bringing knives to a gun fight. Offensively they looked much better last night. However, when they had the chance to put the game to bed their coach didn't give them an inbounds play to run.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Because he is a hair away from blowing the “thug” dog whistle. There isn’t anything inherently unlikeable about this team. They seem like a decent bunch of kids

LOL. I gave a very specific incident that points to my reasoning for the team being unlikeable in a) our team's leader not being a leader at all and b) a noticeable lack of effort. I countered that by pointing to three players from the football team who both showed great leadership--BS put his body on the line every day, Diggs went from being a homeless teenager to a great outside linebacker, and Foley anchored the defense. My argument has nothing to do with the coded racism that you're suggesting, which I'm not sure would even make sense because the bulk of the football team is black as well. The team is unlikeable in my opinion, but you can suggest whatever you'd like from that Mr West

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I find Adams pretty unlikeable.

I paricularly enjoyed the fancy handshake when they got up 4.

Maybe win a game before breaking those out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There isn’t anything inherently unlikeable about this team.

But nothing really likeable either. I've been a fan of many lousy teams over the years and usually can find a nugget or two to root for. Not this bunch.

Reaction Score

My opinion of him has gone down this year, with or without the scooter incident.

Playing for KO doesn't do him any favors, but he clearly doesn't do himself any favors either.

Reaction Score
My opinion of him has gone down this year, with or without the scooter incident.

Playing for KO doesn't do him any favors, but he clearly doesn't do himself any favors either.
Carfeul you almost didn't blame Ollie for everything. Real question for ya. If Gilbert doesn't get hurt is this team better? 2 points vs Tulsa better? 10points vs. WS better? I won't even ask about the others. Is Adams better with Gilbert or does he still do his thing(which doesn't involve his teammates much at all) I hear what you are saying about him not being like able I get that vibe a bit as well. I don't think he worked hard enough this off season(did he have an ankle injury or something?) I think he might stay next year because his stock is low right now but I do see alot of potential to be really good for him especially at the next level.

August_West

Reaction Score

You are reaching. And I said in the game thread “ don’t celebrate yet” but that is not grounds for being an unlikeable kid. Especially with so little to get pumped about this year.

For everyone else.
The other thing about Adams. If you claim you don’t like Adams but list Napier as a favorite player you are a front runner based solely on winning results as a personality judgement. Their personalities are eerily identical . In fact bazz may have been a touch more petulant. Just saying.

Reaction Score
You are reaching. And I said in the game thread “ don’t celebrate yet” but that is not grounds for being an unlikeable kid. Especially with so little to get pumped about this year.

For everyone else.
The other thing about Adams. If you claim you don’t like Adams but list Napier as a favorite player you are a front runner based solely on winning results as a personality judgement. Their personalities are eerily identical . In fact bazz may have been a touch more petulant. Just saying.

I like Bazz and Adams both very much. But I would be lying if I said Adams does not have traits that potentially make him less likeable. I think his upside (at least from a physical tools standpoint) is much higher than Bazz's. But Bazz's understanding of the game was and is through the roof.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

For everyone else.

I’ve never warmed up to Adams. I’m sure some of that is results based. But I like Vital and Cobb and I liked Vance Jackson so it’s it’s not just results.

I always liked Boat more than Napier.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For everyone else.
I've thought about this a lot. Like you, during the 2013-14 regular season I was down on Bazz at times for his inconsistent play (often the story of two different halves) and his petulance, and I really questioned whether he could play up to his potential consistently enough for us to go deep in the tourney--especially after that Louisville slaughter at the end of the season. We all know what happened.

I've chirped similarly about Jalen's attitude, but for the reason you state I have tried to withhold judgment until I can see more. And no question Jalen has a much weaker supporting cast.

That said, I have been watching him more closely of late, both on court and off, and agree with you that Bazz was more petulant; I think Jalen is just wired differently, so I disagree that they eerily identical. He's got a different motor than Bazz. Jalen has some physical advantages over Bazz, but I don't think he's as mentally strong, as smart or as able to shift gears as effectively as Bazz was. And he's not as good of a passer, shooter or ball handler either. I don't know this, but I suspect that Bazz has a stronger work ethic and focus on what he wants.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Are you sayin' or are you just sayin'? It doesn't matter. You're full of it either way. Adams can't touch Bazz as a player or a leader.

August_West

Reaction Score
Are you sayin' or are you just sayin'? It doesn't matter. You're full of it either way. Adams can't touch Bazz as a player or a leader.

Blind

Reaction Score
Bazz (at least on the College level) reminded me of guys like Nadav Henefeld and Larry Bird in that their court savvy enabled them to achieve far more than their athleticism would suggest.

Kemba is a different sort of player. His toughness, motor, resolve and body control are all off the charts.

Reaction Score
I've thought about this a lot. Like you, during the 2013-14 regular season I was down on Bazz at times for his inconsistent play (often the story of two different halves) and his petulance, and I really questioned whether he could play up to his potential consistently enough for us to go deep in the tourney--especially after that Louisville slaughter at the end of the season. We all know what happened.

I've chirped similarly about Jalen's attitude, but for the reason you state I have tried to withhold judgment until I can see more. And no question Jalen has a much weaker supporting cast.

That said, I have been watching him more closely of late, both on court and off, and agree with you that Bazz was more petulant; I think Jalen is just wired differently, so I disagree that they eerily identical. He's got a different motor than Bazz. Jalen has some physical advantages over Bazz, but I don't think he's as mentally strong, as smart or as able to shift gears as effectively as Bazz was. And he's not as good of a passer, shooter or ball handler either. I don't know this, but I suspect that Bazz has a stronger work ethic and focus on what he wants.
I think the real similarity in bazz and Adams personality is the difficulty in leadership role.(bazz really in his JR year but remember the awkward grab and throw of boat during the NC game) The look on teammates faces when adams is telling them what to do in huddles tells alot especially Larrier. I hope adams can figure it out and he does need another year in my opinion to work on this and his game. I think game wise Adams is far superior as a drive and finish guy, but not even close as a shooter or passer. So Adams might find more success in the NBA if he works hard enough on shooting and passing.
Bazz had Kemba and then Boat as a partner. Vital, Anderson come on! can't shine their shoes. We all miss Gilbert tremendously!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom