It Is Alabama | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It Is Alabama

Reaction Score
Last meeting vs Alabama was early last season in the PKI semis in Portland. Bama was ranked 18th, we were ranked 20th. UConn won 82-67 and we were just starting to realize how good a team we had.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
60lf6jad9i981.jpg

Reaction Score
Last meeting vs Alabama was early last season in the PKI semis in Portland. Bama was ranked 18th, we were ranked 20th. UConn won 82-67 and we were just starting to realize how good a team we had.

Yeah this game is so funny in retrospect, because we were probably the two best teams in the country and played each other and at that time nobody knew. If this game took place like 2 months later it would have been hyped out of control.

If Brandon Miller doesn't get hurt and try to play through it to the detriment to his team, there's a decent chance we play them in the title game.

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson could pose a lot of difficulties for Karaban. Thats what I am most worried about. Not sure they have an answer for DC, however.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Illinois would take their lunch money.

I think Illinois is better too, but Bama does shoot the 3 better.

I think most fans are a bit timid about a hot shooting 3 point team, me included.

But I agree overall, we are better than Illinois and Illinois is better than Bama.

I’m still nervous. But super happy for my guy Oats.

Reaction Score
Got the feeling that without Sears shooting unconscious from 3, Clemson may have won. As it was, Clemson missed a lot of clutch FT.

Take away Sears, take away a lot of their scoring. I like Castle on him and locking him down.
Bama also has a kid named Stevenson who hit 5 3s tonight. It could have been a one off.

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson could pose a lot of difficulties for Karaban. Thats what I am most worried about. Not sure they have an answer for DC, however.
yeah. Bama's guards are all 6'3 or shorter but they have lots of length in the frontcourt. Pringle is a traditional big so he's a favorable matchup for clingan, but Nelson has the length to bother Karban and he can also step out and hit the 3. Backups Stevenson and Walters are also both stretch bigs. Stevenson hit FIVE 3s tonight against clemson. Basically everyone can shoot from outside except for pringle so we really have to guard the 3 point line. i cant believe this is the same Bama team i saw play against grand Canyon last week.

Sears (6'1)
Estrada (6'3) -Wrightsell (6'3)
Griffen (6'6)
Nelson (6'11)-Walters (6'10)
Pringle (6'10)-Stevenson (6'11)

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson is the guy I was hyping UConn to get from the portal. Good player. Reminiscent of Keith Van Horn.

Reaction Score
According to Oats, their D has been a lot better this tournament than in the regular season. Didn’t watch them in the regular season much but wow, because they’ve been pretty awful defensively the games I’ve watched in the tournament.
It has, but it's basically the same as Illinois. They're both right around 100 for the season and exactly 51 for the tournament (I looked at Illinois pregame and Alabama now so they must have moved around)

caw

Reaction Score
He's a worse Boo Bouie. He and Diarra are going to be guarding him all night.

I wouldn't say worse but pretty similar. Both fantastic shooters and PGs who are on the smaller side. I think Sears is a tad faster/quicker and Bouie a bit stronger and a better defender.

Reaction Score
@Scrutiner Any thoughts on Nate Oats?
Not sure why you singled me out for a comment on Oates when NJ Hoops would surely have the insights you're after.
All I can offer is observations and intuition.

For example, Oates appears to be recruiting well but may be grabbing the shiny objects and not necessarily the mix of players you need to win. DH seems to be better at roster construction and player development.

Can't comment on his coaching staff construction but it would be hard to beat what DH has done.

Finally, culture. We know DH has built an unbelievable culture. He brings in players that work hard, are team players and care about each other, the team and the team's goals. That's rare and a couple things happened during the post game interview of Sears and Oates last night that raise questions.

While talking with Sears the interviewer praised the barrage of three's Sears made to put the game out of reach and followed up, when Oates joined them, by asking Oates what he thought of Sears' shooting. Oates seemed taken aback and groped for a response, finally saying something along the lines of "he" struggled earlier but shot well in the second half". Hardly a ringing endorsement and curious to say the least. And Oates didn't say Mark, he said "he".

Then there was the awkward hug Oates gave Sears. Sort of like you'd give your uncle you see once a year. No way close to the level of comfort you see in all the interactions between DH and his players.

There's no way to know how much the Alabama players respect their coaches nor how much the coaches really care about the players but I would bet DH cares more about his players and will do more to advance them in their careers and they know it and will run through brick walls for him.

Oates? All I have is conjecture based on the awkward interaction between Coach and Point Guard.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you singled me out for a comment on Oates when NJ Hoops would surely have the insights you're after.
All I can offer is observations and intuition.

For example, Oates appears to be recruiting well but may be grabbing the shiny objects and not necessarily the mix of players you need to win. DH seems to be better at roster construction and player development.

Can't comment on his coaching staff construction but it would be hard to beat what DH has done.

Finally, culture. We know DH has built an unbelievable culture. He brings in players that work hard, are team players and care about each other, the team and the team's goals. That's rare and a couple things happened during the post game interview of Sears and Oates last night that raise questions.

While talking with Sears the interviewer praised the barrage of three's Sears made to put the game out of reach and followed up, when Oates joined them, by asking Oates what he thought of Sears' shooting. Oates seemed taken aback and groped for a response, finally saying something along the lines of "he" struggled earlier but shot well in the second half". Hardly a ringing endorsement and curious to say the least. And Oates didn't say Mark, he said "he".

Then there was the awkward hug Oates gave Sears. Sort of like you'd give your uncle you see once a year. No way close to the level of comfort you see in all the interactions between DH and his players.

There's no way to know how much the Alabama players respect their coaches nor how much the coaches really care about the players but I would bet DH cares more about his players and will do more to advance them in their careers and they know it and will run through brick walls for him.

Oates? All I have is conjecture based on the awkward interaction between Coach and Point Guard.
Really interesting observations/insights. Will be watching closely for manifestation of that relationship or lack thereof.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Bama is going to be hucking up wild 3s over our 6’5 guards. There’s no other way this plays out. They don’t take midrange shots and we don’t allow anything in the paint.

Reaction Score
UConn vs Alabama football would be a closer game than this FF matchup. Take UConn (minus the points) and the Ovah!
That's a great line, but I think in football it would be more like 200-0 in favor of Alabama.

Reaction Score
It’s worth noting that the backcourt size difference between UConn and all three other teams is significant.
Also KenPom Defensive Efficiency:
4 UConn
16 Purdue
45 NC State
104 Ala--Bama (Marisa Tomei says hello.......)

And, after reading the recent articles about how demonstrative and focused on winning Cam Spencer is it's hard to imagine UConn not playing really aggressively on defense. Add in the secret sauce of SC on Sears (likely?) to top it off.

Reaction Score
Alabama knows they have to shoot even better from 3 against UConn. In a football stadium where depth perception gets tricky. While the 6'1" star against Duke is being covered by an elite 6'6" defensive wizard.

I predict Alabama will get their 3s up until the point comes when UConn buries them for 10 minutes and then Alabama finds they can't hit the side of a barn from then on...UConn 90 Ala 67.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine just messaged me. He said that both final four games and the championship game are going to be on TBS this year? Is that real?

Reaction Score
A friend of mine just messaged me. He said that both final four games and the championship game are going to be on TBS this year? Is that real?
Yes and so will the Championship game.
The plan is to keep any potential positive publicity for UConn and the Big East Conference to a minimum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom