OT: - Isaiah Wong threatens to leave Miami if he doesn't get a bigger Nil deal | The Boneyard

OT: Isaiah Wong threatens to leave Miami if he doesn't get a bigger Nil deal

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A bit of backtracking ...

"He and his representatives spoke with LifeWallet CEO John Ruiz to discuss their differences surrounding his current agreement, and both sides will continue their partnership moving forward."

There was also a prior article that said his quote/demands were made by someone not authorized to speak on his behalf, so there's that. ...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well.........the "other" shoe has finally fallen. I think we all saw this coming. Wong was just the first to express his displeasure with his NIL deal publicly. Expect others to follow. Several yarders have already proclaimed that college sports as we "knew" them will never be the same. That was an easy call. Low hanging fruit. That guy essentially is ready to quit on his team. :confused: Now player's agents are talking to the media on behalf of their clients instead of the players speaking for themselves. Wanna bet this type of conversation has not taken place behind closed doors between other athletes and their coaches/ADs ?

1651347306287.png

Isaiah Wong

Reaction Score
It’s pretty clear where this is going. Coaches will have to guaranty top recruits and current stars a certain amount of NIL $$ if they want a player to commit or stay with the school. Wealthy boosters will be the key to a team’s success.

1651347230691.gif

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Naïve kid shooting his mouth off before engaging brain? Possible.

Sleezebag agent trying to stir the pot? More than likely.

Both? Maybe.

Mr. Ruíz stating that (I paraphrase.)We have a contract. I don't re-negotiate. was the only clean aspect of this sordid episode.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It’s pretty clear where this is going. Coaches will have to guaranty top recruits and current stars a certain amount of NIL $$ if they want a player to commit or stay with the school. Wealthy boosters will be the key to a team’s success.

View attachment 76073

Just like they've ALWAYS been. Only now, they can do their business out in the open. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Is he gone yet?

He might as well be. This is horrible publicity for this young man. There's no way his handlers can clean this up to make him look presentable to the fans. What's the old saying.................it IS what it IS!!! :confused: Like a rose, greed by any other name is still g-r-e-e-d. ;)

Reaction Score
USC just getting torched on Twitter because the best wr in cfb ADdisson from Pitt is seeking transfer and according to reports USC will make him a multimillionare. Idk how to feel tbh, I want USC to be good, but is this how it's suppose to be? Just buying players? What happened to commodority and being a good teammate. Am sad this is where we are going in college sports.

Reaction Score
There will always be a handful that will try to mess up the system for the many of players that are happy about their NIL deals and going about the NIL process the right way.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Both? Maybe.

Mr. Ruíz stating that (I paraphrase.)We have a contract. I don't re-negotiate. was the only clean aspect of this sordid episode.
If that's the case Sifaka, who has more to lose here, the sleazebag agent or the athlete? :eek: You DON'T want to be THAT guy!!!
The local media will have a field day with this ALL season. Just as you can't put the genie back in the lamp, you can't walk this back and end up smelling like a rose.

Reaction Score
He might as well be. This is horrible publicity for this young man. There's no way his handlers can clean this up to make him look presentable to the fans. What's the old saying.................it IS what it IS!!! :confused: Like a rose, greed by any other name is still g-r-e-e-d. ;)
Nothing to get excited about. He needs to make whatever money he can now. He’ll probably be driving a truck in about 3 years.

Reaction Score
And a veritable choir of lawyers are so grateful. Keyboards silently chirping. Everything’s now for sale and everybody wants a piece. Ugh. Storrs as a live film ranch for shoots. Very young people thinking no more sacrafices, no more saying someday, no more heavy worries about money…or a new car…or plane tickets, boat rentals, entertainment costs, parking, fine dining. And lawyers.

Ugh again.

A lot to be said about the quarter century from Kerry Bascom through The Stewey Years. It’ll never be like that again. The era of all out commodification of everything is here. Or is it history repeating itself ?

Answers await !

Reaction Score
No one with two functioning brain cells should be surprised at this. And it is only going to get worse.

Reaction Score

Both? Maybe.

He's a billionaire. Pressuring a college kid.

That's clear as mud. Embarrassing and shameful.

This billionaire has a lot of time on his hands and needs to reconsider the priorities in his life.

Reaction Score
And the fans love the billionaire for driving a hard deal, because it brings players to their school, keeps them there locked tight, and helps them win!!

These fans should have a look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
USC just getting torched on Twitter because the best wr in cfb ADdisson from Pitt is seeking transfer and according to reports USC will make him a multimillionare. Idk how to feel tbh, I want USC to be good, but is this how it's suppose to be? Just buying players? What happened to commodority and being a good teammate. Am sad this is where we are going in college sports.
Don't worry! It's alive and well at Vanderbilt!

Reaction Score
I have no issue with college players being paid. But this system is absurd. So the schools can't pay players, they can't arrange deals for players, but players can arrange deals with boosters and pick a school or switch schools based on a deal they will get from boosters.

Reaction Score
Being unhappy with a NIL deal is one thing. This is totally cool. Voicing those complaints publicly and ransoming the local community is another thing. If college athletes want to be professionals (and they deserved to be) they are going to have to consider their public image.

Publicly complaining about $$ is a bit of a third rail for a professional athlete. Latrell Sprewell was a fabulous basketball player. An absolute winner. That's what I remember about Latrell, but the average fan only remembers choking some coach they can't remember and turning down ~$6mil while claiming "I got a family to feed".

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom