Isaiah Wong OV Thursday (9/6) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Wong OV Thursday (9/6)

Reaction Score
If Hurley is bringing in a guy on a September visit, that guy is getting the full OV experience, especially as this is the first one for the new staff. Recruits talk to each other, and hype is good. They may not be the favorite for Wong at the moment, but that can change. They’re not going to present him with a second-rate experience at this time of the year if he’s still considering them.

Reaction Score
Had heard a whisper about this OV which is why I asked in the other thread if anyone had heard anything. As Bfield clarified, I interpreted his post at the time to mean even being top 5 and maybe getting a visit that it's mostly moot.

Have to hope the staff can sell and use Gaffney on the calendar as leverage.

C

Chief00

If Hurley is bringing in a guy on a September visit, that guy is getting the full OV experience, especially as this is the first one for the new staff. Recruits talk to each other, and hype is good. They may not be the favorite for Wong at the moment, but that can change. They’re not going to present him with a second-rate experience at this time of the year if he’s still considering them.

Agree.

Reaction Score

The experience is the same. I'm more referring to getting in the NBA alum, Calhoun, and other big UConn names. There's only so many cards to pull so coaches save it for the really important visits.

The movies they play, film, who they stay with is basically the same with all OVs.

Reaction Score
Wong had to either visit this weekend, or wait until after Gaffney visits and risk us already having a PG commit by that point. Clearly he wanted to take the visit, which is nice to see.

But perhaps more importantly, I think this shows that the writing is on the wall with Gaffney. I don’t think that Wong would suddenly announce an OV the day before it happens unless there was a time squeeze on the situation.

Reaction Score
Wong's and Gaffney's skill sets are somewhat different; maybe Wong is a little craftier, but Gaffney is quicker, springier, faster. Both can shoot and both have strong floor games. I'm leaning towards Jalen Gaffney, but staff definitely has an interesting decision on their hands in how they handle all this. Both of these players are really good; I sure do hope we get one of them.

Reaction Score
Wong's and Gaffney's skill sets are somewhat different; maybe Wong is a little craftier, but Gaffney is quicker, springier, faster. Both can shoot and both have strong floor games. I'm leaning towards Jalen Gaffney, but staff definitely has an interesting decision on their hands in how they handle all this. Both of these players are really good; I sure do hope we get one of them.

Lets just go get both of them dam it

C

Chief00

Wong had to either visit this weekend, or wait until after Gaffney visits and risk us already having a PG commit by that point. Clearly he wanted to take the visit, which is nice to see.

But perhaps more importantly, I think this shows that the writing is on the wall with Gaffney. I don’t think that Wong would suddenly announce an OV the day before it happens unless there was a time squeeze on the situation.

Good analysis is all I can say.

C

Chief00

The experience is the same. I'm more referring to getting in the NBA alum, Calhoun, and other big UConn names. There's only so many cards to pull so coaches save it for the really important visits.

The movies they play, film, who they stay with is basically the same with all OVs.

Of course, due to pending issues, we need to be extra careful, about contact with NBA alum. It has to be incidental.

Reaction Score
We need to be careful, some other schools not so much. Totally trust Hurley and staff to do everything right and all that is possible to bring in his recruits which is hard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We need to be careful, some other schools not so much. Totally trust Hurley and staff to do everything right and all that is possible to bring in his recruits which is hard.
If Hurley brings decent number of the guys he's going after, he will, in one recruiting class have reestablished us as destination. This is, potentially, an enormous coup. Now all he has to do is land them.

#Doomed

Reaction Score

As of today, I don't think we're in a position to say no to either of them. If one of them wants to commit, and we believe it won't be rescinded, I would assume we take the commitment and go from there.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see if we would take both Wong and Gaffney, and if they would be OK committing with the other committed. Precious is no guarantee....and Bouknight can definitely play the 3 in college. Would think we would be able to make it work with 2 PG/CG types...which these guys both seem to be. Obviously this model has worked for us many times in the past. Then Akok and Kofi and call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The two headed monster has been a successful approach in the past with Kemba, Bazz, Boat having some overlaps.

At this point it would be one of these guys and Gilbert. Two of them plus Gilbert plus B. Adams is pretty crowded. We need a pure shooting guard.

Reaction Score
At this point it would be one of these guys and Gilbert. Two of them plus Gilbert plus B. Adams is pretty crowded. We need a pure shooting guard.
We simply can't afford to assume Gilbert will be healthy and playing at the level we expect/need. Take both if they both want to commit.

Reaction Score
We simply can't afford to assume Gilbert will be healthy and playing at the level we expect/need. Take both if they both want to commit.
Also don't know if Gilbert will play beyond graduation. We could have anywhere from 1-4 more years with the guy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom