2024 Recruiting: - Isaiah Abraham Commits to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Isaiah Abraham Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“I chose UConn because I love the program, I love the organization and obviously coach Hurley,” Abraham told 247Sports. “My relationship with Coach Hurley and Coach Murray is really good and they’ve been recruiting me for a while now. It started about a year and a half ago and ever since then I’ve felt good about the relationship. I also love the recruiting they’ve done from the DMV. Last year they had 2023 commits that I knew like Solo (Solomon Ball) and Jayden (Ross) so there was a connection of knowing the team a little there. It was just everything. Also being in the Big East, they just won the championship so I know they’re a winning program.”

Abraham is an ideal compliment to players like Karaban, Stewart, and Ross, because he can provide physicality, toughness, a high-motor, and two-way versatility.

That’s not to say he doesn’t have skill of his own, because he does. In fact, he’s shown an ability to be a mismatch scorer who can get downhill as a straight-line driver, take smaller defenders into the mid-post, and continues to gradually extend his shooting range.

Reaction Score
!!

1689356004459.gif

Reaction Score
It's great to bring in guys who are motivated by winning, and great to see that our championship is already paying dividends on the trail.

One question: why is this guy ranked #26 by on3 and #71 by 247? That's a pretty big difference.

It's not an exact science... pretty much all 4* players are similar. The difference between 25 and 100 is a single hot weekend in AAU sometimes (see: Akok).

Fit and mentality are what makes the biggest difference with 4* players, and that isn't going to be reflected i nthe ranking. It's why a Rahsool can look like a 2* player and Tyrese can have an NBA contract. The soft skills matter just as much as athleticism or ability to shoot in recruiting.

Abraham has the right mentality, is team first, and has always been a winner. Makes me think that #79 could look a lot more like #20 by the time he graduates.

Reaction Score
“I chose UConn because I love the program, I love the organization and obviously coach Hurley,” Abraham told 247Sports. “My relationship with Coach Hurley and Coach Murray is really good and they’ve been recruiting me for a while now. It started about a year and a half ago and ever since then I’ve felt good about the relationship. I also love the recruiting they’ve done from the DMV. Last year they had 2023 commits that I knew like Solo (Solomon Ball) and Jayden (Ross) so there was a connection of knowing the team a little there. It was just everything. Also being in the Big East, they just won the championship so I know they’re a winning program.”

Abraham is an ideal compliment to players like Karaban, Stewart, and Ross, because he can provide physicality, toughness, a high-motor, and two-way versatility.

That’s not to say he doesn’t have skill of his own, because he does. In fact, he’s shown an ability to be a mismatch scorer who can get downhill as a straight-line driver, take smaller defenders into the mid-post, and continues to gradually extend his shooting range.

Luke has been killing it the last two classes. Ross, Solo, now Abraham and possibly Ngongba. He's earning his $.

Reaction Score
After watching the highlights, I'd compare him to RIP with more athleticism. Strong all around game. Inside and outside. He seems to have a killer instinct to take it to the hole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love this commit. I like his strength and athleticism. I think we're going to need some of that and Hurley will now how to use him. Great get by the staff. Keep it rolling.

Reaction Score
High upside with this kid. Similar build to Andre, but more wired to score rather than distribute/play make. We eating good.
Yeah from the interview of his acceptance he sounded like Andre but glad you know he can score in more ways than him.

Reaction Score
Yeah from the interview of his acceptance he sounded like Andre but glad you know he can score in more ways than him.

I don't think he's more wired to score than Andre at the same age. He averaged half the points Andre did in AAU and HS. Though to be fair, Andre was playing on pretty bad teams in both so he had a different role.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think he's more wired to score than Andre at the same age. He averaged half the points Andre did in AAU and HS. Though to be fair, Andre was playing on pretty bad teams in both so he had a different role.
Does he have a better looking shot and does he have a mid-range jumper?

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
It's not an exact science... pretty much all 4* players are similar. The difference between 25 and 100 is a single hot weekend in AAU sometimes (see: Akok).

Fit and mentality are what makes the biggest difference with 4* players, and that isn't going to be reflected i nthe ranking. It's why a Rahsool can look like a 2* player and Tyrese can have an NBA contract. The soft skills matter just as much as athleticism or ability to shoot in recruiting.

Abraham has the right mentality, is team first, and has always been a winner. Makes me think that #79 could look a lot more like #20 by the time he graduates.
Excellent ranking analysis 429. You sound light years closer to the inside action than many of us. I'm seeing a pattern - good hard-working kids from stable two-parent housholds. Seems like it's at least a priority, maybe mandatory since our success trajectory. Staff would pass on a super talent with sketchy background. Am I making stuff up?

Reaction Score
Excellent ranking analysis 429. You sound light years closer to the inside action than many of us. I'm seeing a pattern - good hard-working kids from stable two-parent housholds. Seems like it's at least a priority, maybe mandatory since our success trajectory. Staff would pass on a super talent with sketchy background. Am I making stuff up?

I wouldn't call having a single parent a "sketchy background." But we are definitely recruiting family-first players with good character. Plenty of our players have non-nuclear families.

Reaction Score
Does he have a better looking shot and does he have a mid-range jumper?

Shot is much better looking structurally, but through high school and AAU, he's only shooting about 20%. Much better project to take on than a total rebuild like Andre, though. I can only recall him taking a couplefew mid-range shots.

Reaction Score
Not sure that is correct

Reaction Score
Can’t say it enough great quotes about 1) How confident he is in Hurleys ability to develop him & 2) the great job Luke did building a relationship with him.

Luke can’t get enough praise for his ability to help us expand our recruiting range & bring us back to a national stage.

Our assistants are A1
It really is a special staff, we need to really enjoy it while they're all still here. It's the perfect mix- 2 young studs in Kimani and Luke who will be guiding their own ships soon and Tom the veteran who has been though it all and who everyone loves. Tom will be here until he no longer wants to coach. Kimani and Luke will get their own programs to run soon enough and Hurley will make great hires but we need to appreciate this group of guys while they're still together.

Reaction Score
Shot is much better looking structurally, but through high school and AAU, he's only shooting about 20%. Much better project to take on than a total rebuild like Andre, though. I can only recall him taking a couplefew mid-range shots.
20% I hope is 3pt range? Not overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom