Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks

Reaction Score
Oh boy!! here we go again. There's a report that the Big 12 is recruiting UConn and of course, the carrot is money 30 million in revenue vs the 5 million we currently bring in...What do my fellow bone-yarders think. Personally, I'd prefer we stay in the Big East but can we sustain losing money? If we do move I'd prefer the ACC or SEC what are your thoughts ????
The Big East is a dying conference and does nothing for football. Definitely take the $30 million per year. Actually it’s not $30 million but closer to $35 million. The Big 12 also definitely helps the baseball program.

Reaction Score
From a purely WBB fan perspective, I really don't care. The OOC schedule makes UConn a "1 team" power conference all by itself. The move might be good for the men's side of basketball. However, I would hate to think UConn would get invited because some P5 needed a football punching bag. The eclectic independent football schedule is kind of fun. Plus, P5 schools can schedule UConn football OOC if they need a challenge :) (undefeated against ND football)

Money is the issue that trumps all other issues.

Reaction Score
A very wise person ( actually several ) said to me if the ONLY reason you take a job is the money, it's a big mistake. Would tend to agree with this situation also.

Reaction Score
My main concern selfishly (as only a Uconn wcbb fan) is being able to watch every single game they play each season. I for the most part enjoy the SNY crew which currently has carried most of the home games and have found a way to see those they haven't for quite some time.

In the process of moving back to Connecticut, I chose a cable provider and package first and foremost with an eye to continuing to have access to SNY, FS1&2, CBSport, ESPN's channels and of course the networks. With the promotional offerings to sign up and then leave FLO sports after various tournaments I've been able to see all the games while living in NY, and expect to continue to be able to do so in Connecticut.

As some have said, this isn't the old Big East (which was an incredible wcbb conference), so I wouldn't have a problem with a conference move, particularly if it provided the opportunity to have some higher level of completion for our women (which I know isn't even a factor for those deciding to move or not). My selfish caveat is my ability to see every game,

Reaction Score
I think there is much discussion of movement largely because the Power 5 conference designation doesn't mean the same thing anymore. It used to be 5 very strong conferences and Power 5 referred to the group of them as relatively equal members. With departures from two of those to create two super conferences, it is now two very clearly at the top, then a second tier of three conferences, then conferences like Big East and AAC and the best of the rest.

Now three former Power 5 conferences have to decide if they are fine with their new second tier status behind the top two, or if there will be some attempt to consolidate the best teams from those three plus some outsiders like Uconn into a third top tier super conference, while fearing that their conference could be on the other end, getting drained of top programs and be reduced even further.

I have no idea how it will play out, but fear the NIL influence has made getting into the best conference even more important. There is a great deal of exploratory talks probably going on and Uconn needs to be part of the discussion whether they do anything or not. Several conferences could see their status jump up or down significantly over the next few years.

As for Uconn the ACC would seem to be a better fit to me, but only if they stay near the top. If it winds up being a watered down conference, the Big East at least for basketball, could be a better conference, particularly if they got a castoff or two from the ACC.
Regardless Uconn is a very interesting bargaining chip on the basketball side, even if they are not on the football side.

Reaction Score
It's a no-brainer for the UConn administration. You have to take the money, especially if you're a state school. The football team won't survive otherwise. Also, NIL funding will be critical for recruiting going forward so again UConn needs to be able to fund NIL at a high level. The current BE is nothing like it was in the 80s and 90s on the men's side, so nostalgic reasons is no reason to stay. Travel will be a bit more, but a UCLA rivalry would be cool to see!

Reaction Score
A very wise person ( actually several ) said to me if the ONLY reason you take a job is the money, it's a big mistake. Would tend to agree with this situation also.
That implies you can get nearly the same elsewhere. Not the case here.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Since we don't print the money, we have to follow it. Only the feds think deficits aren't real.

How many times have we howled here for a P5 invite?

Reaction Score
Why would they go to the Big 12? That is quickly becoming nothing short of a Mid Major conference with no TV deals to speak of. If UCONN can get into the ACC, BIG Ten, or SEC it would make perfect sense. They would have the competition needed in their premier sports and they would get great money for football just be the money generated by other schools.

I would like to see UCONN move up to better competition but they should move very slowly. Like others have said, every move hasn't turned to best for the schools and I think a move to the Big 12 would be bad for almost any good athletic program.

Reaction Score
Why not take a breath and settle in where we are now…with bright prospects all across our horizon. Our AD deficits are disturbing but fixable.
We are at the forefront of a new era in the business of college sports. Perhaps, just perhaps, UConn can be an example of how to move forward without losing its identity, its bond with its people, and its money ! Yes, UConn.
And not be sucked into the black hole that is the ludicrous world of big-time football.
NIL is the absolute new paradigm and bidding wars, gambling, and corruption will be inevitable. And wherever resides the most money is where those problems are most pronounced.
Hope good decisions get made.

Reaction Score
I think there is much discussion of movement largely because the Power 5 conference designation doesn't mean the same thing anymore. It used to be 5 very strong conferences and Power 5 referred to the group of them as relatively equal members. With departures from two of those to create two super conferences, it is now two very clearly at the top, then a second tier of three conferences, then conferences like Big East and AAC and the best of the rest.

Now three former Power 5 conferences have to decide if they are fine with their new second tier status behind the top two, or if there will be some attempt to consolidate the best teams from those three plus some outsiders like Uconn into a third top tier super conference, while fearing that their conference could be on the other end, getting drained of top programs and be reduced even further.

I have no idea how it will play out, but fear the NIL influence has made getting into the best conference even more important. There is a great deal of exploratory talks probably going on and Uconn needs to be part of the discussion whether they do anything or not. Several conferences could see their status jump up or down significantly over the next few years.

As for Uconn the ACC would seem to be a better fit to me, but only if they stay near the top. If it winds up being a watered down conference, the Big East at least for basketball, could be a better conference, particularly if they got a castoff or two from the ACC.
Regardless Uconn is a very interesting bargaining chip on the basketball side, even if they are not on the football side.
The fact that every ACC school plays D1 football means “a castoff or two” are not joining The Big East. Football drives the bus, and those buses are definitely not driving to Seton Hall, St John’s, Providence or Villanova.

Reaction Score
UConn should take this opportunity (if indeed there)...While the natural fit of UConn is in the Big East and Mens basketball seems very competitive on the national stage, WBB is turning into UConn and the sisters of the poor with stars either graduating (Maddi S.) or transferring out to other conferences (The DePaul players, Park-Lane, The Freshmen of the year from Georgetown, etc.)

Reaction Score
Why would they go to the Big 12? That is quickly becoming nothing short of a Mid Major conference with no TV deals to speak of. If UCONN can get into the ACC, BIG Ten, or SEC it would make perfect sense. They would have the competition needed in their premier sports and they would get great money for football just be the money generated by other schools.

I would like to see UCONN move up to better competition but they should move very slowly. Like others have said, every move hasn't turned to best for the schools and I think a move to the Big 12 would be bad for almost any good athletic program.
They need to fund football and other sports now with $30-35 million a year, not 5 or 6 years from now. Cincinnati, UConn, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, KState, BYU, Houston and UCF is not my idea of a mid major conference. As I already said, UConn’s baseball program benefits immensely from membership in the Big 12, not just football and basketball. The Big East is going nowhere and is dying a slow death, there’s even talk of canceling many women’s programs at some Big East schools to save money.

Reaction Score

Almost half of the ACC seems ready to bail... why jump to a sinking ship?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC is scrambling for its life. Unless there’s some serious reconfiguration I’m not seeing the ACC as a lifeline. @CamrnCrz1974 ?

The ACC has a grant of media broadcast rights from the schools to the conference (GOR) until 2036. Although there is a lot of postulating and posturing going on, no one has broken one of these GOR's yet. Even if you were to guarantee that the ACC were to fall off a cliff say 10 years from now, I would still except full membership today because that means we make something in excess of an additional $30 million per year, or $300 million prior to the forecasted demise of the conference. It would be fiscal malpractice to walk away from that.

That said, an offer isn't coming, so the point is moot.

CL82

Reaction Score
A very wise person ( actually several ) said to me if the ONLY reason you take a job is the money, it's a big mistake.
Unless, of course, you're flat broke, starving, and about to be kicked out of your home, then money is probably a very good reason to take a job.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our AD deficits are disturbing but fixable.
OK, I'll bite. How do you fix our annual athletic department deficits? Keep in mind it was something like $53 million last year.

Reaction Score
The hell with football - should be banned anyway. The mix of conference games with cream of the crop opponents out of conference games has served the program well. Let's keep it that way.

Reaction Score
The driving force at UCONN is Mens BB, the NC this past season doesn’t happen without the move back to the BE!

Reaction Score
The ACC has a grant of media broadcast rights from the schools to the conference (GOR) until 2036. Although there is a lot of postulating and posturing going on, no one has broken one of these GOR's yet. Even if you were to guarantee that the ACC were to fall off a cliff say 10 years from now, I would still except full membership today because that means we make something in excess of an additional $30 million per year, or $300 million prior to the forecasted demise of the conference. It would be fiscal malpractice to walk away from that.

That said, an offer isn't coming, so the point is moot.
Remember when they were talking big about the ACC domination in mens BB? Now they are just a collection of used-to-be, one-timers or never were. Sure would be great to see that conference die.

CL82

Reaction Score
Remember when they were talking big about the ACC domination in mens BB? Now they are just a collection of used-to-be, one-timers or never were. Sure would be great to see that conference die.
The ACC was always less stable than the talking heads at ESPN would lead people to believe. The raids against the Big East and becoming ESPN's affordable House band allowed to have the illusion of stability. I strongly doubt it survives, at least in its current form, after 2036.

Reaction Score
Yeah but if you’re $400,000 in personal debt then taking the job for money makes sense. Same thing when you’re an athletic program running a $40M annual deficit. Context matters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom