Is UConn dying? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I blame BCU.
Shameful if it's true they are the only reason we aren't in the ACC right now. If we were in the ACC and it were up to us to accept BC, I would've gladly welcomed another Northeast team .
What a wretched, wretched university.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The NBA seems to really want to develop the G League. It is plausible that in 20 years men's hoops resembles college baseball. AKA, no fan gives a and all the best prospects are already professional.
While we're at it, who's thinking about Salma Hayek & Penelope Cruz in 20 years.

Reaction Score
What's the impetus for the football schools to go for this?
In conference punching bag and guranteed win without having to (do the work to) schedule out of conference cupcakes?

that's all I have....

Reaction Score
But they’re not. The school is taking a substantial note to fund this...they “hope” to raise more money privately but it ain’t happening. And this isn’t a small project. Benedict is kicking the $ can down the road

I'm pretty sure the revenue bonds for the baseball/softball/soccer/performance center facilities are being repaid through the combination of the on-going ticket facility surcharge fees that have been in place since 2016 and specific private donations through the UConn Foundation (which I heard they have over half in hand/pledged already). This is in addition to additional naming/sponsorship rights. If you've seen something to the contrary regarding the funding I'd be interested in reading it.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But they’re not. The school is taking a substantial note to fund this...they “hope” to raise more money privately but it ain’t happening. And this isn’t a small project. Benedict is kicking the $ can down the road

Must've learned from the best.....CT legislature.

Reaction Score

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Probably the most irresponsible action possible is building these new facilities for sports that mean zero in the scheme of things. The key word is “mostly” paid by private donations, meaning a lot isn’t.

The baseball facility is high-school quality. This should've been done 20-25 years ago.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think that a part of UConn's problem is that the wealthy and powerful in this state do not throw their weight behind our flagship university?

Reaction Score
Probably the most irresponsible action possible is building these new facilities for sports that mean zero in the scheme of things. The key word is “mostly” paid by private donations, meaning a lot isn’t.

Meaning the rest is being paid from the dedicated lock box revenue from the facility improvement surcharge on non-student tickets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Meaning the rest is being paid from the dedicated lock box revenue from the facility improvement surcharge on non-student tickets.

That’s an accounting trick though. That’s revenue they could have used elsewhere, instead of more capital investment they can’t afford the upkeep on.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

As a point of reference these are the revenues, costs, and allocations for all NCAA public schools. I think after some inspection, the total revenue in that column is true revenue + allocation.

When you sort by AAC & % allocated, UCF, Houston, Cinci, USF are all around the same ballpark of subsidizing close to the same amount of revenue they bring in. Obviously, 42 > 27 and 15M in cold hard cash means a lot given the states financial situation, but it seems all of the AAC schools are similarly leveraged in hopes of the P5 bid

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well then, let's cancel sports now. Waste of money. I mean, if you're willing to go back to the Yankee conference days (which is more where the BE is headed in the long run), then go for it. But it won't be a boon to the university. Only the strong (and rich) survive in today's world. Even more the case with where the economy is headed in the longer term.

You're a pretty smart guy. How did you let that joke go over your head?

Reaction Score
That’s an accounting trick though. That’s revenue they could have used elsewhere, instead of more capital investment they can’t afford the upkeep on.

That's true if they just decided to jack up the ticket prices across the board w/o specifically tying it to the baseball/softball/soccer project.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's true if they just decided to jack up the ticket prices across the board w/o specifically tying it to the baseball/softball/soccer project.

Or sell more tickets without it.

Reaction Score
If you include royalties, licensing, advertising, and sponsorships as part of football, men's basketball, and women's basketball revenues (which I think is fair), the total deficit for those programs becomes $1.7 million.
C'mon, enough of the reasonable common sense. Undeniably, W crew, M&W cross country, M&W track & field, M&W tennis, M&W swimming/diving, women's volleyball, softball, field hockey, and W lacrosse generate the lion's share of UConn athletics' royalty, licensing, advertising, and sponsorship revenues. ;)

Reaction Score
Just got back from Italy last week. I discussed college costs and differences in the university systems with my cousins. I have to admit, I think we should look at the costs of college sports across the board in this country. If, as a whole, college sports is a money loser, all schools should drop them and focus on academics. There are other ways to keep sports alive without college sports. Having said that, while college sports is still big and high visibility, you need to compete to stay relevant.

Reaction Score
Need new revenue other than from a new TV contract which is years away!
Not shining any enlightening sunshine on the revenues subject, yet some increased winning and resulting revenues in the 2 most important sports matters immensely ST, MT & LT.

Reaction Score
The baseball facility is high-school quality. This should've been done 20-25 years ago.
High schools have better facilities. I have no idea how we managed to be as successful in baseball as we've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom