Is UConn dying? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The reality is no one would care about the deficit if we were winning. But we're not, so it's front and center.
Yeah, they would. This isn't the same as saying no one would care about the violations if we were winning.

Reaction Score
It still irks me that our senior senator has the nerve to show up at parades. As for that four letter network........

Reaction Score
Why would the ACC add UConn now? They have us staggered and just about ready to go down for the count. They can essentially put UConn athletics out of business, which would be good news for BC and Syracuse. The smart business move would be to knock UConn out and eliminate the competition.
UNC should have thought of that years ago. Knock out Duke and NCST so they can corner the market. Who needs close by rivalries that fans can easily travel to. They could travel to Cali for rivalries.

Reaction Score
We must have the most over reactive fanbase.

I just trust the powers that be in fixing this. UConn is not going away.

Reaction Score
UNC should have thought of that years ago. Knock out Duke and NCST so they can corner the market. Who needs close by rivalries that fans can easily travel to. They could travel to Cali for rivalries.

Schools should absolutely play rivals that they can easily travel to. That's one reason why UCONN should join the big east.

Reaction Score

Ah, the pending bidding war is coming

Reaction Score

It is not an over-reaction to show concern over your state university's athletic department posting a $41 million dollar loss that is funded by students and tax payers.

Reaction Score

I can't say I trust the powers that be yet Butch. We will see how they respond to this situation. Firing Diaco and Ollie was the unquestionably correct move and I agree the the new hires made. However keeping the amount of non revenue sports we have is an issue. It is like keeping your money in GE stock at this point. I sold my stock in them a year and a half ago and that was long overdue.

Reaction Score
Ah, the pending bidding war is coming
Beyond that. It's been acknowledged long ago, before all these championships, that we have SEC-like potential. Not bad, so far.

Reaction Score
Many UNC football fans have thought of it, the cannibalization of the state between so many power programs. But basketball drives the bus, so no one hears what the football-only crowd wants.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's starting to look like the party could be over soon.

Can't run those kinds of deficits. You've got an obligation to students and tax payers. Sorry to ruin everyone's good time, but it's not gonna happen the longer they're in the conference.

My guess is they stick it out and hope they can cover the football deficit in the next round of negotiations. If they don't, football program gets shuttered within ten minutes of them knowing. That's assuming it gets that far.

Can't run $8.7 million and then have everyone else running $7.8 million in travel expenses, largely to keep the football dream alive. At it's peak - men's hoops was generating something like $16 million for the university. That right there would eat that alone. My guess is they beg, borrow and steal to try to get into the Big East, but that'll be that. Even if they can score a big payday of like $14 million in the Big East and cut both the football deficit and trim travel, they'll still have like $15-$16 million they're going to have to make up.

But $41 million is so far past inexcusable at this point, it's hard to know where to begin.
Do the math. 5 Million lost on 15 players versus 8.5 on a 100.

Reaction Score
Um, at $41M, I'm not confident of that at all.

I know. Not with a travel budget hovering around $7.5 million.

And that’s WITH student subsidies.

If this isn’t bad enough then what is, exactly?

Reaction Score
Dropping football is literally adding $8 million and whatever else the student fees are subsidizing for it back into the budget. That's four times what our TV rights are now. That's 25% of the deficit on its own.
Or drop basketball which is losing 5 Million of 15 players....the whole drop football thing is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses - Hartford Courant

Negative $41 million in revenue, $8.7 million of which is football (shocker) and $5 million of which is Men’s basketball. Also saw that $7.3 million went to team travel. Where are the guys that say we don’t want the big east? Maybe they can get the bill on this one.
Lol going to the Big East isn’t going to turn on some golden faucet that’s going to rain money down on the athletic department.

Reaction Score
No, just pointing out how stupid the drop football comments are.

I don’t know what accounting classes they’re teaching there, now - but at a $41 million dollar deficit? Everything is on the table.

But basketball is the school’s actual brand. It won’t get touched.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
More concerning - arguments about where we should go aside - is who the ffffff approved the budget and what on earth their revenue projections were.

Good lord.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member