Is Tuck Ok? | The Boneyard

Is Tuck Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought I heard someone on the game thread complaining about her knee buckling slightly. And that worries me because we definately need her against S.C.

I hear a lot of over confidence about Uconn beating S.C. and I hope they do. But regardless of USC struggles in certain games they are not to be taking lightly at all.

...Definately not in their own house with 18.000 screaming fans, and Especially not without Tuck.

Now I hate it when some get me worrying about the knee thing. It keeps my mind restless. So someone please ease the stress.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought I heard someone on the game thread complaining about her knee buckling slightly. And that worries me because we definately need her against S.C.

I hear a lot of over confidence about Uconn beating S.C. and I hope they do. But regardless of USC struggles in certain games they are not to be taking lightly at all.

...Definately not in their own house with 18.000 screaming fans, and Especially not without Tuck.

Now I hate it when some get me worrying about the knee thing. It keeps my mind restless. So someone please ease the stress.
Nothing seen in game - Tuck got her 20 minutes and still looks a little rusty, but played pretty well and looked fine.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tuck's knee is clearly a concern. One thing she must be working through is the Master's idea. Her education is a hedge against the future, and unfortunately that basketball future could be curtailed. If she goes pro next year where's the money for that Master's coming from? Her WNBA salary will be hard pressed to cover it. I think overseas money may be out of the question with that 8 month schedule being too demanding. Staying at UCONN means that Master's is covered through scholarship. With occasional rest she could get through the college season without issue and the pro money would still be there. To me I think it's a no brainer. I however have been known to be wrong.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

After the East Carolina game, Geno made a pertinent comment: " Any time you do not practice every day, you lose something."....that makes sense. I believe , as of now, that she will play against SC, and be ok. I do not think she is 100%. I like her to use both her inside +outside game. From the SC games I have seen, I really don't think Uconn needs her to win, but we will all be glad if she can play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tuck's knee is clearly a concern. One thing she must be working through is the Master's idea. Her education is a hedge against the future, and unfortunately that basketball future could be curtailed. If she goes pro next year where's the money for that Master's coming from? Her WNBA salary will be hard pressed to cover it. I think overseas money may be out of the question with that 8 month schedule being too demanding. Staying at UCONN means that Master's is covered through scholarship. With occasional rest she could get through the college season without issue and the pro money would still be there. To me I think it's a no brainer. I however have been known to be wrong.
A Master's Degree for UCONN combined with no experience is going to be worth how much to Morgan? UCONN MBA graduates average $101K in starting salary but have 4.6 Years of work experience. http://mba.uconn.edu/mba-2016/
Morgan is not going to command a salary greater than an WNBA salary by staying around UCONN for another year. People are also talking like getting into the UCONN MBA program is not a selective process, and can that the program can be completed in 1 year. The #1 criteria for getting into the program is " demonstrated accomplishments in their career".

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A Master's Degree for UCONN combined with no experience is going to be worth how much to Morgan? UCONN MBA graduates average $101K in starting salary but have 4.6 Years of work experience. http://mba.uconn.edu/mba-2016/
Morgan is not going to command a salary greater than an WNBA salary by staying around UCONN for another year. People are also talking like getting into the UCONN MBA program is not a selective process, and can that the program can be completed in 1 year. The #1 criteria for getting into the program is " demonstrated accomplishments in their career".
But what are her options? A conceivably short WNBA career without an MBA and no way to pay for it, or a conceivably short career with an MBA? Again, it seems to me with careful time management the WNBA career will still be there while the opportunity for an MBA has an even shorter window.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
'Some animals are more equal than others' to quote George Orwell - if Morgan wants to get a masters at Uconn, I am pretty sure she will get admitted to the program. And a fair number of students do go directly from college to graduate school and MBA programs, and I suspect their first year salaries average significantly more than their compatriots that only have a BA, and that they will receive the same percentage pay raises each year in whatever job they take so that increased initial salary will continue to be important through their early career.

Now in my working career I saw little difference between MBAs and BAs beyond a level of jargon that MBAs were able to hide behind to mask their general stupidity, but an equally intelligent person with an MBA does have an advantage in the workplace. That said, I don't think the choice is a no-brainer for Morgan. She probably has limited mileage on her knees and even getting one season in the WNBA would probably be a bigger highlight for her life than having a chance to play for a fourth or fifth NC. But the life on campus is pretty special, and being the elder statesman on next years team would be a new experience as well and it would not preclude years in the WNBA. Most first year WNBA players would in retrospect probably choose a fifth year of college if they were given the choice between that and their rookie season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But what are her options? A conceivably short WNBA career without an MBA and no way to pay for it, or a conceivably short career with an MBA? Again, it seems to me with careful time management the WNBA career will still be there while the opportunity for an MBA has an even shorter window.
Morgan is not going to get an MBA by staying around the UCONN campus for 1 more year regardless of who pays for it.
Her credentials for admission to UCONN MBA program will only be improved by getting experience after graduation. I am just stunned how naive people are being about this situation. Do people think Geno or Morgan just walks over to the Dean of the Business school and says I need to get into you Business school and oh by the way I'm going to be pretty busy with basketball from October until April. The Business school calendar (cohort) starts in September and works as a group on most assignments and projects for two solid years until graduation.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I concur...really a no brainer IMHO. Bball is secondary to her longterm future and I'm certain the WNBA will be more than happy to welcome it's first 5-Time Nat'l Champion with open arms in 2017! ;)

Reaction Score
'Some animals are more equal than others' to quote George Orwell - if Morgan wants to get a masters at Uconn, I am pretty sure she will get admitted to the program. And a fair number of students do go directly from college to graduate school and MBA programs, and I suspect their first year salaries average significantly more than their compatriots that only have a BA, and that they will receive the same percentage pay raises each year in whatever job they take so that increased initial salary will continue to be important through their early career.

Now in my working career I saw little difference between MBAs and BAs beyond a level of jargon that MBAs were able to hide behind to mask their general stupidity, but an equally intelligent person with an MBA does have an advantage in the workplace. That said, I don't think the choice is a no-brainer for Morgan. She probably has limited mileage on her knees and even getting one season in the WNBA would probably be a bigger highlight for her life than having a chance to play for a fourth or fifth NC. But the life on campus is pretty special, and being the elder statesman on next years team would be a new experience as well and it would not preclude years in the WNBA. Most first year WNBA players would in retrospect probably choose a fifth year of college if they were given the choice between that and their rookie season.
No idea what Morgan will do next year, but she seems to be an ideal candidate to be a coach, when she finishes playing.

Reaction Score
Although she has some type of business major as an undergrad, Tuck does not need to pursue an MBA. She can get a Masters in something like Sports Management or a number of related fields. I suspect that there is a way for her to get a meaningful Masters while playing basketball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Morgan is not going to get an MBA by staying around the UCONN campus for 1 more year regardless of who pays for it.
Her credentials for admission to UCONN MBA program will only be improved by getting experience after graduation. I am just stunned how naive people are being about this situation. Do people think Geno or Morgan just walks over to the Dean of the Business school and says I need to get into you Business school and oh by the way I'm going to be pretty busy with basketball from October until April. The Business school calendar (cohort) starts in September and works as a group on most assignments and projects for two solid years until graduation.
I'm glad you are pointing all these things out. It never ceases to amaze me in my little world how many people just assume that advanced degrees are such that you fill out a form and are accepted and you show up and you are handed a degree. Unfortunately, in my little world, for some schools that is largely true. But that's a rant for another time and place.

But here's something I've been curious about: Has Morgan ever actually said it is an MBA that she is wanting to get? I'm under the understanding she's a business major. I've read her comments that getting a master's is something she wants. But as you point out, you don't get an MBA in a year. So does anyone know if that's what she's actually talking about?

If she were talking about another kind of master's, such as in marketing, that would make more sense in the context of getting one or being close to done in one year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But here's something I've been curious about: Has Morgan ever actually said it is an MBA that she is wanting to get? I'm under the understanding she's a business major. I've read her comments that getting a master's is something she wants. But as you point out, you don't get an MBA in a year. So does anyone know if that's what she's actually talking about?
I have not seen it written anywhere that Morgan intends to pursue an MBA. Even if Morgan were to be pursuing a different Master's degree Sports Management for example, the admissions requirements (GRE, GMAT, Professional Experience, Undergraduate GPA) demands of the curriculum (cohort, group assignments, practicum, Defend your Thesis) are not conducive to completing a Master's Degree and playing a full UCONN basketball schedule in the same year. It is just not possible. Even if you waive the admissions requirements She would still have to do the work.

Reaction Score
Kerith in her pre-game report during the last game said Morgan was struggling or grappling with the decision about whether or not to come back next year. I guess we'll know for sure in two months whether 40% or 60% of our starting line up will be lost to graduation.

Reaction Score
No idea what Morgan will do next year, but she seems to be an ideal candidate to be a coach, when she finishes playing.

There are a lot of great points made here.

With that said i am sure she is going to ponder her future by considering what will benefit her the most.

However, I would love for her to get healthy and stay healthy because she is such a great talent to watch. It's sadden to keep watching (knee injuries) sideline great players - or anyone for that matter - from participating in the game they love. (Caroline Doty) and many others come to mind. But that's the nature of the game.

Personally I don't have an idea what direction she will pursue . But I do hope she will be back which would be wise on her part.

What baffles me though is how her knee held up fine last year, and now this season where I Thought her knee would get stronger, and wanted to see this team do what no other team has done - win 4 titles - it starts acting up again.

Get healthy Tuck. Because I want to see you shine in the sport you love beyond Uconn and the WNBA.

Reaction Score

You are worried???? Have you watched a couple of South Carolina's recent games?

Reaction Score

Not so worried as long as every Uconn starter is playing. Was only worried if Tuck was unable to play due to her knee, and due to South Carolina bigs if she is absent.

And regardless of SC struggles with some teams, I don't underestimate no one. Espcially a #2 ranked team in their own building with 1800 screaming fans.

Reaction Score

01Neaggrad02- - I agree 100%!

Going into Monday's game the facts are: If both teams are at full strength!
1. UCONN offense averages 86+ ppg / SoCar offense averages in the 70's ppg
2. UCONN's defense holds opponents to approximately 45 ppg / SoCar defense holds opponents to approximately 52 ppg
3. UCONN big 3 MoJeff, Stewie, & Morgan can score between 15 to 28 ppg with Nurse, Chong, Gabby, Collier, KLS, Butler, able to score 8 to 15 ppg / SoCar's big 3 Wilson, Mitchell, & Coates, averages considerably less, their supporting players don't exactly draw fear from their opponents
4. If Stewie guards Wilson & Tuck guards Coates & MoJeff guards Mitchell UCONN's 3 will score considerably more than the reverse. Wilson cannot stop Stewie, Mitchell cannot stop MoJeff and Coates cannot stop Tuck/ The rest of UCONN's players will outscore SoCar's 40 to 15 IMO
5. vs UCONN's defense how can SoCar score enough points and hold UCONN's offense in the low 70's?
6. In SoCar's last 4 SEC games they have had trouble getting over 58 points
7. An all the talk about 15,000 screaming SoCar fans home court advantage bothering UCONN, ARE YOU KIDDING, SERIOUSLY?
UCONN wins 80 to 52

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not so worried as long as every Uconn starter is playing. Was only worried if Tuck was unable to play due to her knee, and due to South Carolina bigs if she is absent.

And regardless of SC struggles with some teams, I don't underestimate no one. Espcially a #2 ranked team in their own building with 1800 screaming fans.
18,000 fans.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What baffles me though is how her knee held up fine last year, and now this season where I Thought her knee would get stronger, and wanted to see this team do what no other team has done - win 4 titles - it starts acting up again.
I believe Morgan is the first UCONN player with this specific injury requiring Microfracture surgery. There is a ton of literature and studies out there that state that at best, positive results are temporary and failure is frequent. When failure is defined as requiring a second surgery the failure rates range from 9-18% in the first year alone for non-athletes. It is quite remarkable that Morgan post surgery has been playing at AA level for 1.5 seasons now. The presence of pain in Morgan's knee today probably indicates, that we are close to failure of the surgery-meaning a second surgery maybe required soon.

"The data from multiple studies in athletes shows that the repair tissue breaks down over a few years leaving the exposed bone to cause more pain."
"Microfracture fails because the body loses the race between durable healing and repeated injury from weight-bearing alone."
"When microfracture fails, it is because natural healing alone is simply not effective often enough on a surface that sees so much force, never mind the torque and stress of pivoting sports."

http://www.stoneclinic.com/blog/why-microfracture-fails

Reaction Score
I think Morgan leaves after this year. If she wants to play at the next level, and I think she does, then that is her best option. Right now I think if she leaves this year she probably is a top 5 pick. If she stays and has issues with her knee then her chances of playing at the next level become a real question mark.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think Morgan leaves after this year. If she wants to play at the next level, and I think she does, then that is her best option. Right now I think if she leaves this year she probably is a top 5 pick. If she stays and has issues with her knee then her chances of playing at the next level become a real question mark.
Why would a team draft her so high if this injury is chronic? Does anyone know if she has talked to Shea on this issue? Seems she could provide valuable insights.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Why would a team draft her so high if this injury is chronic? Does anyone know if she has talked to Shea on this issue? Seems she could provide valuable insights.

Yes, she's spoken with Shea. The pre-game? or some discussion during the game? last game was "she's spoken with many, including Shea, and their advice is to stay in the moment."

It was also said her dream was to play in the WNBA - but, while I think she would get drafted, the question is how long she could play. It is a GRUELING schedule... and, while playing abroad is not as grueling, it's no picnic being away from home...

I understand the need to obsess about Morgan's future... but it is HER future. I'd rather enjoy what we have and celebrate every second she's in a Husky uniform. Next year will take care of itself (or, more accurately, Geno/CD will take care of next year.)

Reaction Score
I believe Morgan is the first UCONN player with this specific injury requiring Microfracture surgery. There is a ton of literature and studies out there that state that at best, positive results are temporary and failure is frequent. When failure is defined as requiring a second surgery the failure rates range from 9-18% in the first year alone for non-athletes. It is quite remarkable that Morgan post surgery has been playing at AA level for 1.5 seasons now. The presence of pain in Morgan's knee today probably indicates, that we are close to failure of the surgery-meaning a second surgery maybe required soon.

"The data from multiple studies in athletes shows that the repair tissue breaks down over a few years leaving the exposed bone to cause more pain."
"Microfracture fails because the body loses the race between durable healing and repeated injury from weight-bearing alone."
"When microfracture fails, it is because natural healing alone is simply not effective often enough on a surface that sees so much force, never mind the torque and stress of pivoting sports."

http://www.stoneclinic.com/blog/why-microfracture-fails

Thanks for that information CocoHusky...Very Informative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member