Is this really Connecticut's favorite snack? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is this really Connecticut's favorite snack?

sun

Reaction Score
Watch & learn about Lifesaver lightning which you're only able to see with Wint-O-green Lifesavers candy.

"When this happens with most sugars, the light is largely ultraviolet, which you aren't able to see with a naked eye. However, wintergreen flavoring, as highlighted by Cool Science, "is a natural fluorescent dye called methyl salicylate." It creates a brighter, longer-lasting flash of light after absorbing ultraviolet light and re-emitting it in a way you can see."

Is wintergreen good for inflammation?

The active ingredient in wintergreen oil, methyl salicylate, is closely related to aspirin and has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. As such, products containing wintergreen oil are often used as an anti-inflammatory and topical pain reliever

What flavor lifesaver makes a spark?

Image result

wintergreen

The emission from wintergreen candy is much brighter than that of sucrose alone because wintergreen flavor (methyl salicylate) is fluorescent. Methyl salicylate absorbs ultraviolet light in the same spectral region as the lightning emissions generated by the sugar. The methyl salicylate electrons become excited and emit blue light. Much more of the wintergreen emission than the original sugar emission is in the visible region of the spectrum, so wintergreen light seems brighter than sucrose light.

Triboluminescence is related to piezoelectricity.

Reaction Score
I have lived here my entire life (59 & counting) and have never heard of it. I call BS.

72 years and I've known about and loved Birch Beer since I was 3 and the bubbles tickled me. It actually comes as a clear soda and as "golden birch beer" which tastes the same but is a bit darker colored. It has been a staple flavor among the many small soda bottling companies in CT for a long long time. You Coke and Pepsi addicts need to get out more. ;)
I still get a birch beer when I visit Blackies for a hot dog or 3.

As for the article everyone needs to understand that to "Food and Wine", Connecticut consists of Greenwich and a few surrounding towns in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
72 years and I've known about and loved Birch Beer since I was 3 and the bubbles tickled me. It actually comes as a clear soda and as "golden birch beer" which tastes the same but is a bit darker colored. It has been a staple flavor among the many small soda bottling companies in CT for a long long time. You Coke and Pepsi addicts need to get out more. ;)
I still get a birch beer when I visit Blackies for a hot dog or 3.

As for the article everyone needs to understand that to "Food and Wine", Connecticut consists of Greenwich and a few surrounding towns in Fairfield County.
Oh I've heard of birch beer but I had never heard/seen it referred to as CT's favorite snack until now.

Regarding your last sentence yes, I had that impression too. :rolleyes:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Foxon Park Gassosa > Foxon Park White Birch

But White Birch is also very good.

sun

Reaction Score

snack​

noun
a small portion of food or drink or a light meal, especially one eaten between regular meals.

It's like when a baby drinks milk.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You do understand that once sugar is converted into alcohol, it’s no longer sugar, right? So it has that alcohol burn rather than anything remotely resembling sweetness.

That said, beer yeast doesn’t ferment 100% of the maltose. That’s what hops are for. Those who like sweetness can drink oktoberfests, white beers, and cream ales/stouts. Those who truly eschew sweetness have dry stouts and pale ales.
fair point. i neglected to include 'sugar avoidant as a means for calorie reduction.' my bad.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

snack​

noun
a small portion of food or drink or a light meal, especially one eaten between regular meals.

It's like when a baby drinks milk.

Here's the thing. Nobody drinks birch beer as a snack. You drink it with pizza or a nice big sandwich you got at a deli.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom