Is This Really "America's Best Back Court"? | The Boneyard

Is This Really "America's Best Back Court"?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They are pretty good.

Wonder who came up with that promotion?? Syracuse, Peterson/Sykes, a parent, a fan with a whole lot of time on their hands????

Reaction Score
Against that schedule the "best backcourt" should be unbeaten. They're not even close to the best.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The short answer is no. After last season's unconventional run to the national championship, there were great expectations for the Syracuse women's team this season. Their 2-3 zone, pressing defense and long-range shooting gave teams fits. Just watch them eat up Kelsey Plum & Washington in last year's national semis.

However, just like the Syracuse men's team, opposing coaches figured it out. All they had to do is watch UConn bury the Cuse in the championship and there's your game plan: space the floor, pass the ball to beat the press, stretch the zone to get open shots & defend the arc. Everyone is ready for Syracuse this year and as a result they've settled back in the pack.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Ok, they want to be known as the best backcourt, fine. I'll take the best TEAM, oh we already have that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
.445/.390 is OK shooting and 1.27 points per shot is OK as well - 11.3 rebounds, 10.7 assists and 2.85 steals with only 2.75 TOs per game is solid production - A/TO= 1.93 is solid especially in their somewhat frenetic offense.
Competition and record aside, it is a solid back court and would be even better I suspect in a different system - they are both very exciting players that I think could be successful in a more disciplined system as opposed to the run and gun that Syracuse seems to play.

All in all, not an unreasonable claim to make if looking purely at statistics.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They meant "Best Back court" in the town of Syracuse.. but they didn't have enough room to add that last part... :p
Do they really think that the Orange back court is better than Lemoyne College's backcourt? :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure they are even top 4 backcourt in the ACC.
FSU, Duke, ND, Louisville all have better backcourts.

I was gonna chime in with something along those lines. The Syracuse backcourt is good.... but the ACC is filled with plenty of good backcourts. Along with the ones you mentioned... Miami, VPI, and NC State are good as well. I actually like Syracuse's backcourt better than Louisville's.... unless you are including Moore as part of the backcourt

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This made me smile. I love how teams hand out consolation prizes. I'm sure that the 'Cuse AD is busy getting tee shirts made up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I had to smile at Holly W's assessment, which is included to support the publicity's claim: a bundle of very worn-out clichés. One thing I especially like about interviews with Geno: his insights, words, and metaphors show keen imagination and incisive intelligence-- at least in all things basketball. With most coaches, the clichés come tumbling out because it takes no thought.

Reaction Score
.445/.390 is OK shooting and 1.27 points per shot is OK as well - 11.3 rebounds, 10.7 assists and 2.85 steals with only 2.75 TOs per game is solid production - A/TO= 1.93 is solid especially in their somewhat frenetic offense.
Competition and record aside, it is a solid back court and would be even better I suspect in a different system - they are both very exciting players that I think could be successful in a more disciplined system as opposed to the run and gun that Syracuse seems to play.

All in all, not an unreasonable claim to make if looking purely at statistics.

Every thing can be seen in it's darkest form --or as bright sun shine. I see the light in this posting.

Reaction Score
Would love to play the Cuse and watch " the best backcourt" against our defense. It wouldn't surprise me if they scored half their season average of 42. Maybe get 25 or so. Just ask Laska who scored 7 on 3-15 sho0ting and is averaging over 20ppg not including UCONN game. Or ask Kelsey who needed 24 shots just to get 23pts. Plenty more examples. Will never forgive the Cuse for not scheduling UCONN is Stewie's senior year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did I see the phrase "Hands down" in this article? I recall that one of the LV players argued that they had the best front court in the country "hands down"--better than Stef, Stewie, and Kaleena, who combined for 7 AA selections.

The Cuse backcourt is good, but I'm not sure they are better than Kia and Saniya or Destiny and Shatori or some others. In 2002, we had the best backcourt EVER. They won the first 5 Lieberman awards. That said, I think that Peterson makes a 10-player AA team.

Reaction Score
I had to smile at Holly W's assessment, which is included to support the publicity's claim: a bundle of very worn-out clichés. One thing I especially like about interviews with Geno: his insights, words, and metaphors show keen imagination and incisive intelligence-- at least in all things basketball. With most coaches, the clichés come tumbling out because it takes no thought.
Either that or clichés are all the thought they are capable of.

I agree that Geno's ability to express himself in concise, comprehensible, often humorous form is one of the traits that separates him from other coaches.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Either that or clichés are all the thought they are capable of.

I agree that Geno's ability to express himself in concise, comprehensible, often humorous form is one of the traits that separates him from other coaches.

Geno has certainly mastered the use of the word "really."

Reaction Score
Does the back of the tee shirt have a pic of the other three starters all slump-shouldered and dejected under a caption reading 'The worst front court in America'?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom