Is this normal? | The Boneyard

Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UMD women's basketball team hopped on an Amtrack train (the fast one) from Maryland to Connecticut to get to Bridgeport yesterday. I have never heard of a team catching a train to a game, especially a tourney game. Could this be for financial reasons or does this happen often?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Given the traffic you'd have to deal with by bus, and the paucity of air options into Bridgeport, the train sounds like a good idea. The seats are as roomy, if not better, than by air or by bus. Pretty relaxing way to travel, actually.

Reaction Score
UMD women's basketball team hopped on an Amtrack train (the fast one) from Maryland to Connecticut to get to Bridgeport yesterday. I have never heard of a team catching a train to a game, especially a tourney game. Could this be for financial reasons or does this happen often?

I believe UConn WBB took a train to Philly to play Villanova back in January. Really makes a lot of sense - fiscally responsible, more leg room, ability to move around easily, arguably less risk.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe UConn WBB took a train to Philly to play Villanova back in January. Really makes a lot of sense - fiscally responsible, more leg room, ability to move around easily, arguably less risk.
I think you're right. Given how awful it is to drive I95 and with the holiday weekend making it even worse, taking the train makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score

Also did it a few yrs ago when Maya was on the team.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It soundls like a smart move. The team will probably be in better shape than if they had flown commercial.
Whenever I visit Philly or Washington I take the train. For me the trip is not a lot longer than going by air and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable.

Reaction Score

Traveling by train from Washington DC to Bridgeport makes an awful lot of sense. Assuming that you are referring to the Acela Express when mentioning "the fast one", the Acela Express does not normally stop in Bridgeport, though it does not seem impossible for special arrangments to be made in this particular case. If such an arrangment was not/could not be made, then the Terrapins would have had to change trains no later than Stamford for a regional Amtrak train to Bridgeport, or take the Acela Express to New Haven and bus back to Bridgeport(very likely). One can also charter a train car in which the team can sit exclusively(also very likely). Still in all, I absolutely love the idea.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
They may have had to pick up some blue hens on the way. At least, that's how I remember bus rides in Mexico.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
They probably took the Amtrak Acela to Stamford, then took a charter bus from there to Holiday Inn in Bridgeport. I like to think they will simply reverse this as they go back home Saturday evening. I'm sure Brenda would rather that her team enjoy Easter at home rather than practicing in Bridgeport that day. Geno will gladly accommodate her.;)

Reaction Score
The Arena is only two blocks from the train station, hardly further than the parking lot.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Just read that Maryland traveled by train as well.

Reaction Score
Traveling by train from Washington DC to Bridgeport makes an awful lot of sense. Assuming that you are referring to the Acela Express when mentioning "the fast one", the Acela Express does not normally stop in Bridgeport, though it does not seem impossible for special arrangments to be made in this particular case. If such an arrangment was not/could not be made, then the Terrapins would have had to change trains no later than Stamford for a regional Amtrak train to Bridgeport, or take the Acela Express to New Haven and bus back to Bridgeport(very likely). One can also charter a train car in which the team can sit exclusively(also very likely). Still in all, I absolutely love the idea.

Yes Acela Express.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Flown anywhere lately? It is such an awful experience...train whenever wherever you can!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
You may have read it somewhere on the Boneyard board.
Sorry, didn't see your earlier post. Sensitive huh? Get used to it. Happens all the time here on the BY.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sorry, didn't see your earlier post. Sensitive huh? Get used to it. Happens all the time here on the BY.

Another instance where the OP should have appended one of the little wise ass thingies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Great idea and a great way to travel actually..........Plus , it gives the team a little different experience. Many teams do it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This was more entertaining than I anticipated. Reading the thread title I half expected to see a picture of a mole. Yeah, I clicked on it anyway.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Maryland athletic department is also breathtakingly broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom