Is this an unbeatable lineup? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is this an unbeatable lineup?

Reaction Score
Someone would pick Collier over Lobo? Lobo was 6'4", national player of the year. People have very short term memories.
let's remember that Lobo's professional career was marred by injuries so not sure using Lobo's wnba stats to make a point about anything is a stretch IMO. The 1995-1996 Lobo would fit right in with that group...

Reaction Score
The one school that can put a line up that would be interesting if they played UConn is USC. Not South Carolina but Southern Cal. Lisa Leslie Tina Thompson, Cynthia Cooper, The McGee sisters, and someone named Cheryl Miller. UConn does not blow them out.
Folks sleep on that '82-'84 USC squad. Heck from 1980-1985, USC was lethal!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I picked Rebecca and Swin as possible bench players because they are already in the Naismith HOF, Swin primarily as a player and Rebecca as a contributor. Others, such as Phee or Gabby, would be options as well. I thought it was noteworthy that the bench players are Hall of Famers. That starting 5 will be in the HOF when they are eligible.

Reaction Score
let's remember that Lobo's professional career was marred by injuries so not sure using Lobo's wnba stats to make a point about anything is a stretch IMO. The 1995-1996 Lobo would fit right in with that group...
First of all, injuries do matter - as in, availability is a big advantage. The question was, who would be first off the bench? Collier, whether in the pros or in college, was statistically a better all around player. Beyond the stats, I watched them both just like you probably did. I think subjectively that Phee is the better player by a decent margin, but we're all free to have our opinion. It's what makes these kind of friendly debates fun, and it gets us thinking about all of the great players we've had the pleasure to watch in a UConn uniform.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ummmm, just thinking.

1 - Pinechero? / Vandersloot? / Staley? / Whelan?
2 - Cynthia Cooper
3 - Tamika Catchings
4 - Lauren Jackson
5 - Lisa Leslie

I think they would give them a decent game.

Reaction Score
Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, and Tina Thompson led the Houston Comets to four consecutive championships. They would match up well, adding Sonia Henning and Molina Tzekova to complete the starting five.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ummmm, just thinking.

2 - Cynthia Cooper
3 - Tamika Catchings
4 - Lauren Jackson
5 - Lisa Leslie

They played at different schools; one is from Australia. Find five from the same school

Reaction Score
They played at different schools; one is from Australia. Find five from the same school
Yes, definitely difficult to pick 5 from.one school to beat that group. The USC marchup.already mentioned would certainly be interesting.
I have two teams that shall not be named that I'd also love to see them play against.

Team 1: Diggins, Riley, Batteast, Ivey, and Ogunbowale. Ochanwa off the bench

Team 2: Parker, Holdsclaw. Catchings, Randall, and Marciniak. Zohlman or Lawson off the bench.

My money would be on team UConn but I'd pay crazy money to see these games live or on pay-per-view.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That wasn't the OP. It said unbeatable lineup (didn't say anything about a single school). Not sure if my lineup would beat them, but it would be a good game.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Maybe because it's way too early, but maybe, just maybe, in 3 or 4 years some kid named Paige will enter this discussion. Stay tuned for further developments.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That wasn't the OP. It said unbeatable lineup (didn't say anything about a single school). Not sure if my lineup would beat them, but it would be a good game.
Actually, the OP asked if it was an unbeatable lineup. And nowhere did it ask for lineups that might be competitive. I am glad that it did spark conversation, though

Reaction Score
I don't think unbeatable but certainly Top 3 (I don't really pick a #1). As others have noted, I think USC and Tennessee could field pretty close teams, and I do think Notre Dame could field a competitive team too - although a little bit less so than the others.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the series ESPN did in 1999-2000 on the greatest athletes of the 20th century. Tom Jackson did the segment on Red Grange. In interviewing George Halas, whose signing of Grange to a contract with the Bears put the NFL on the map, Jackson asked Halas how many yards Grange would gain in a season in "today's" NFL. Answer: "700, maybe 800 yards." "Coach Halas, 700-800 yards is not that much today." At which point Papa Bear pulled himself to his full height behind his huge desk, looked Jackson straight in the eye, and said, "Young man, Red Grange is 75 years old."
Kind of like asking how many yards Herschel Walker could gain in today's NFL... I'm thinking he could still be a 1000 yard rusher.

Reaction Score
Ummmm, just thinking.

2 - Cynthia Cooper
3 - Tamika Catchings
4 - Lauren Jackson
5 - Lisa Leslie

Two others to consider:
Seimone Augustus & Sylvia Fowles from LSU. I always thought Sylvia Fowles [10/24] would be better than Candice Parker [6/27] in the pro's, even though UT beat LSU by one point back in the 2008 NC game [47-46].

I (of course) was rooting for LSU vs. the Evil Orange Empire, so my opinion is obviously biased (as it should be).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, the OP asked if it was an unbeatable lineup. And nowhere did it ask for lineups that might be competitive. I am glad that it did spark conversation, though
Well on a given day, I think the lineup I posted could/would beat them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Two others to consider:
Seimone Augustus & Sylvia Fowles from LSU. I always thought Sylvia Fowles [10/24] would be better than Candice Parker [6/27] in the pro's, even though UT beat LSU by one point back in the 2008 NC game [47-46].

I (of course) was rooting for LSU vs. the Evil Orange Empire, so my opinion is obviously biased (as it should be).
Augustus, Fowles, Parker, Miller, just need a PG and they'd have a team who could beat the OPs team.

Reaction Score
The only one who might have a chance is the original dream team starting 5 of Magic, Jordan, Ewing, Barkley, and Malone. There's no iteration of any women's team or combination of female ballers that could beat these 5 including a Uconn 2nd 5.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. By way of comparison, what school can put up a better lineup?
South Carolina could put up a team to compete with that team. Todays players are generally better than players from 20 years ago and you are seeing taller players with much better floor skills than you saw back then too. UConn did have more than their share of stars over the years but that title now belongs to South Carolina and they have a couple really tall girls that can play along with great supporting casts.

Reaction Score
Even if one wants to say the 5 players in the OP are the best collection of players from one school, you can't really say they are "unbeatable". No one is infallible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unbeatable, no. But they would bulldoze the WNBA with a huge winning %.

Reaction Score
Even if one wants to say the 5 players in the OP are the best collection of players from one school, you can't really say they are "unbeatable". No one is infallible.
I agree. But if we're talking a best of 5 or best of 7 series then they proably are unless you are taking the comment even more literal.

Reaction Score
South Carolina could put up a team to compete with that team. Todays players are generally better than players from 20 years ago and you are seeing taller players with much better floor skills than you saw back then too. UConn did have more than their share of stars over the years but that title now belongs to South Carolina and they have a couple really tall girls that can play along with great supporting casts.

I respectfully push back. Who is better than Maya? Diana and Sue were competing at a top level a year or two ago, and not even at their peak. And needless to say Stewie is arguably the top player in the world right now. What is the SC lineup that can compare with the the UConn 5? I’ll wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom