Is Salvadores eligible to enroll at Duke? | The Boneyard

Is Salvadores eligible to enroll at Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
During the Spain vs USA U19 game 25 Seconds before the end of the 1st quarter Salvadores hits a stepback 3 causing the announcers to comment: " That is why Duke University is all over her. They ( Duke) are not sure weather she will be eligible to attend. There is something not quite right"
Any more information form our Duke Fans on her eligibility?
The replay of the game is on ESPN
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2606781/size/condensed/
last 30 seconds of the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
During the Spain vs USA U19 game 25 Seconds before the end of the 1st quarter Salvadores hits a stepback 3 causing the announcers to comment: " That is why Duke University is all over her. They ( Duke) are not sure weather she will be eligible to attend. There is something not quite right"
Any more information form our Duke Fans on her eligibility?
The replay of the game is on ESPN
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2606781/size/condensed/
last 30 seconds of the 1st quarter.

It would be a shame for Duke not to get her this year but the way Azure Stevens played in this series Salvadores may be superfluous.
Azure just blue by Spain and at the point of the press she was great. The STARS of the game IMO were Mo Jefferson, I mean, Dangerfield (hard not to think of her as Moriah while watching her) and a beautiful woman Naph Collier 24 points umpteen rebounds she was definitely the go to woman for USA. I kept thinking while watching her--surely she'll start for Uconn, but that is premature because at some point she shall. Butler, Moriah, Stewie, Tuck, Nurse Geno is going to have the best year of his life coaching this group along with the other 5 and KLS and Collier. \ (Azure is Blue--wind blew)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've heard there may be academic issues, but don't have any concrete information. Guess we'll find out when Duke's next semester starts.

Reaction Score
I've heard there may be academic issues, but don't have any concrete information. Guess we'll find out when Duke's next semester starts.

I heard she is learning to speak English

Reaction Score
I heard she is learning to speak English

I assume you are joking. It's pretty much impossible to imagine that someone just learning the English language could conceivably handle the academic rigors of a top university. unless they offer a 4 year ESL degree program:rolleyes:. After all, we're talking about Duke here, not UNC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume you are joking. It's pretty much impossible to imagine that someone just learning the English language could conceivably handle the academic rigors of a top university. unless they offer a 4 year ESL degree program:rolleyes:. After all, we're talking about Duke here, not UNC.

I am not joking, it was reported on the Devil's Den. Duke does have special majors/programs for their athletes. UNC is not the only school that helps their athletes academically.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are lots of students that come to US colleges with limited English skills so that would not be the main issue. The other two issues that sometimes bite a foreigner are getting accreditation for their HS work/taking HS equivalency exams in their home countries, and because of the club system that goes down to grammar school level, the possibility of receiving 'improper' benefits that has the NCAA classify them as 'professional'.

No idea what is up with her but those could be the type of road blocks.

And yes - Sveta was not good speaking English when she arrived - but 'total immersion' and extra tutoring can make the transition pretty quick.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Svetlana brings to mind her memorable words (and a great Geno barb) as she was being passed by Kaleena this past season on UConn's career scoring list. "I could have scored a lot more if coach Auriemma didn't make me play defense all the time." :D Coach said," "If Svet had played better defense she would have scored a lot more points (on steals and in transition). If she wouldn't have just stood there with her hands up saying 'throw me the ball' she would have scored a lot more points. Those were the times she pretended she didn't understand English."

Reaction Score
I knew a Chinese student who could not speak or understand the spoken word in English. He had for years used American Texts while at home and in college. He obtained his PHD in Computer Science from Uconn in two years then went on to SUNY to teach, his wife (married while at Uconn) went to Boston. Side story, he bought a car from a dealer in Willimantic, drove it to his dorm, learned to drive by reading how to manuals, drove around Uconn a bit and got his license. So it is NOT essential, if you are super intelligent, to understand and speak English to survive and excel at a US university.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Svetlana gets maligned for her lack of passing and for her lack of defense and yet...she averaged 3.37 assists per game for her career while averaging only 26.6 minutes per game for her career. That would translate to 5.18 assists per 40 minutes over her entire college career. She also averaged for her career 2.35 steals per game. To put it into perspective...In 3 of her 4 years Svetlana, when compared to last year's national championship Huskies team, would have finished in second place behind Moriah Jefferson and in 3rd place behind Moriah and Breanna in one of her four years and that includes her senior year when she only played in 19 games. Furthermore, in all of her 4 years at UConn she would finished, when compared to this past year's version of the Huskies, in 2nd place in assists behind only Moriah Jefferson. In two of her years she averaged over 4 assists per game while Moriah averaged 4.9 assists per game last season. All in all Svetlana was a pretty darn good all around player and I don't thing there is a team in NCAA basketball that wouldn't want to have a player like Svetlana on their roster.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
cferraro - so true. The jokes came from Geno and she has played them up since. And us fans have always enjoyed them - but she had a great all around game and her passing was occasionally spectacular. And her anticipation on defense and quickness made her a terror in the passing lanes.

She was never as powerful as Maya, nor as 'in-your-face' as Diana, but she may have had the most elegant game of any Uconn player - I just remember how smooth she was.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I haven't heard from our Duke posters on this thread yet. We are probably what 3 weeks away from classes starting-Duke must know by now if she is coming or not- no? All BlueDevils go on vacation and abandon the boneyard at the same time?

Reaction Score
image.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Svetlana gets maligned for her lack of passing and for her lack of defense and yet...she averaged 3.37 assists per game for her career while averaging only 26.6 minutes per game for her career. That would translate to 5.18 assists per 40 minutes over her entire college career. She also averaged for her career 2.35 steals per game. To put it into perspective...In 3 of her 4 years Svetlana, when compared to last year's national championship Huskies team, would have finished in second place behind Moriah Jefferson and in 3rd place behind Moriah and Breanna in one of her four years and that includes her senior year when she only played in 19 games. Furthermore, in all of her 4 years at UConn she would finished, when compared to this past year's version of the Huskies, in 2nd place in assists behind only Moriah Jefferson. In two of her years she averaged over 4 assists per game while Moriah averaged 4.9 assists per game last season. All in all Svetlana was a pretty darn good all around player and I don't thing there is a team in NCAA basketball that wouldn't want to have a player like Svetlana on their roster.
Yeah, Sveta ended up 4th on the UConn steals list, 5 ahead of Kelly Faris in 27 less games. But Geno always loves to tease his best players about small things to make them think they can be a little better. And what would you expect on a team whose all-time assists leader is affectionately known as the Ballhog Chick.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Salvadores has met all qualifications and has been cleared by Duke admissions.

She will arrive in Durham for the beginning of the fall semester once she and Spain are finished competing at the FIBA U18 European Championship (medal play starts August 7; the championship game is August 9).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Salvadores has met all qualifications and has been cleared by Duke admissions.

She will arrive in Durham for the beginning of the fall semester once she and Spain are finished competing at the FIBA U18 European Championship (medal play starts August 7; the championship game is August 9).
Thank you. I am looking forward to watching her play.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
She has never seen a bad shot it will be interesting to see if her confidence holds up
under coach P restrictions. Coaches first gunner was Abby and her game went in the
bucket. She will have a lot to handle in her new environment.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Sveta ended up 4th on the UConn steals list, 5 ahead of Kelly Faris in 27 less games. But Geno always loves to tease his best players about small things to make them think they can be a little better. And what would you expect on a team whose all-time assists leader is affectionately known as the Ballhog Chick.

I got into a lot of trouble using the BALLHOG term for a Tenn player on the Boneyard.

With the loss of lots of grey matter to be sure, but I cannot ever remember Svetlana Abrovamosa being called BALLHOG!

Geno
with a number of players, in the media, loved to "motivate" them by using negativisms. Sveta generally gave Geno as good as she received in barbs. I believe this to be true: All Uconn fans of that time loved everything about Sevta especially her game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her play this summer was spotty, but I think that she is going to do well at Duke. I do agree with wes33 though, JPM is the wild card in dealing with all Blue Devil players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom