Is one of your UConn WBB seasons a sentimental favorite? | The Boneyard

Is one of your UConn WBB seasons a sentimental favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This would be more fun than arguing over which UConn team was the best. Rather, why not extol the virtues of a team that simply has a special place in your heart? I can see any of these teams being it for a variety of reasons:

• 1991- The great Kerry Bascom's senior year. Likable team all around. First UConn team to make the Final Four.
  • 1995- Well, duh, it was the squad that broke through and won UConn's first of 10 NCs. So much more history has been re-written since, but it started at the championship level here.
  • 2003- This team had no business winning a national championship after the graduation of the TASS Force, but the ragtag crew of Diana, three freshmen (Strother, Crockett, and Turner, with Nicole Wolff mostly out of commission), Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle, and Maria Conlon, put it all together. Diana was THE engine that ran the team, but the role players were essential to winning the 37 games it did.
  • 2006- Nearly beat Duke in the regional finals, could have escaped with the NC had this team done so.
  • 2009- Put it all together in dominant fashion after a relative drought following Diana's graduation.
  • 2013- along with 2004, the other UConn team to have a relative struggle throughout the season and then get it together in the tournament. This team dominated the tourney, including an 18-point victory over long-time thorn in the side Notre Dame.
  • 2014- I mean, Geno cried at the conclusion of the season. That has to be sentimental, right? The 40-0 campaign was a thing of beauty, too.
So what say you? Any sentimental favorite season?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2013 because it was completely unexpected. ND had our number, Baylor look like they had ND's number and UCONN's number.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
2003, Listen to Geno on that recent podcast interview. He simply rhapsodized about that team and especially about That Game against Texas in the semifinal.

Then another NC win over Tennessee. No UConn team accomplished more with less.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
2003, Listen to Geno on that recent podcast interview. He simply rhapsodized about that team and especially about That Game against Texas in the semifinal.

What Kib said, though 2004 runs up close. DT heart of a lion.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
1991. I was in the pep band and we went with the team to Philly and then to New Orleans, which was my first plane trip :)

Reaction Score
This would be more fun than arguing over which UConn team was the best. Rather, why not extol the virtues of a team that simply has a special place in your heart? I can see any of these teams being it for a variety of reasons:

• 1991- The great Kerry Bascom's senior year. Likable team all around. First UConn team to make the Final Four.
  • 1995- Well, duh, it was the squad that broke through and won UConn's first of 10 NCs. So much more history has been re-written since, but it started at the championship level here.
  • 2003- This team had no business winning a national championship after the graduation of the TASS Force, but the ragtag crew of Diana, three freshmen (Strother, Crockett, and Turner, with Nicole Wolff mostly out of commission), Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle, and Maria Conlon, put it all together. Diana was THE engine that ran the team, but the role players were essential to winning the 37 games it did.
  • 2006- Nearly beat Duke in the regional finals, could have escaped with the NC had this

• team done so.
  • 2009- Put it all together in dominant fashion after a relative drought following Diana's graduation.
  • 2013- along with 2004, the other UConn team to have a relative struggle throughout the season and then get it together in the tournament. This team dominated the tourney, including an 18-point victory over long-time thorn in the side Notre Dame.
  • 2014- I mean, Geno cried at the conclusion of the season. That has to be sentimental, right? The 40-0 campaign was a thing of beauty, too.
So what say you? Any sentimental favorite season?

My favorite is the 2015-2016 SEASON. LET'S GET GOING!!

Reaction Score
2013... It was my senior year at UCONN, I got to watch with friends on the big screen in Gampel, and went on top of the ITE building afterwards (until we got told to get off by security) rather than joining the mass of people down below. It was amazing!

Of course, Maya Moore's years were really special to me too... got a high five from her at Gampel after they came back and had a championship rally there.

I think I need to go back and re-watch that 2003 Texas game that everyone's been talking about!! I don't even remember it!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
2013... It was my senior year at UCONN, I got to watch with friends on the big screen in Gampel, and went on top of the ITE building afterwards (until we got told to get off by security) rather than joining the mass of people down below. It was amazing!

Of course, Maya Moore's years were really special to me too... got a high five from her at Gampel after they came back and had a championship rally there.

I think I need to go back and re-watch that 2003 Texas game that everyone's been talking about!! I don't even remember it!

You can do that right here:

Reaction Score

That was the first Final Four I attended in person. The good old days when the outcome wasn't assured before you got on the plane. WAY not assured - whew!!

Reaction Score
2013 for me, That was the first year I decided to watch every game and not just the big ones. They were hyping some freshman as the best player ever, so that was something i had to check out. watching the team lose was painful, but thankfully they got it put together at the right time. and that freshman was pretty good in the tournament at least ;).

Reaction Score
The 2013 team. ND had been better. Baylor was the best team in the country but in the playoffs UConn became one of the great playoff teams. In the semifinals against ND Stewie hit a 3 pointer and just had the widest smile she had all season. UConn and Stewie had arrived.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I have a soft spot for 2014 and will have an even softer one after Senior Day this season. On that day and thereafter, we'll be able to look at the Huskies of Honor wall and see the names of all five starters from that team.

Reaction Score
2013. Kelly's last year. She outplayed Skylar, the team overcame the ND jinx winning in a cake walk. Kelly was all over the place. Geno's quote: "There is no greater example of what we value [here at UConn].
2014, a close second for me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Renee's final season... the General was a leader from day one

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
2000 against Tennessee. On a cruise ship celebrating my 20th anniversary in the bar surrounded by all these people in Orange. Back doored them to Death!!

Reaction Score
3 way tie-

1995- It was such a big deal at the time. The title game was such a struggle. First major basketball championship for UConn. First is always special because it was so new. I was a teenager and just remember the celebration at Bradley, the rally at Gampel welcoming the team back, Rebecca going on Letterman and Rosie, and the massive parade brings back such simpler happier times.

2003- To lose 4 starters like the TASS force and come right back and win a championship was incredible. The wins over Texas and Tennessee were gut checks.

2013- After 3 heart breakers vs ND to blow them out like that was so satisfying. Most people thought this year was Baylor's so we got one early.

And as someone who remembers Tennessee's over the top celebration when they knocked us out in Kara Wolters final game and ND's equally obnoxious celebration when ending Maya's career, to watch Geno and the team after winning calmly walk over and shake the ND players hands and give Skylar her due was to me proof positive of why the UConn program has reached the heights they have. It's not just the talent. It's the people.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
2013 and 2014. Seeing Kelly, Bria and Stef go out in the best way possible was so great.
Also 2001...that was the first FF I saw, and I was so heartbroken when UConn lost. I mean just devastated. I absolutely loved that team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
2001 - no championship, heartbreaking injuries to seniors, and the worst coaching job of Geno's career in the Semis. But Sveta's and Shea's final year - two very different players, one grace and flow and smoothness, the other grit and determination and fire - and both winners. Two of my favorites on probably the most talented team ever assembled at Uconn. Champions in my heart!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
3 way tie-

1995- It was such a big deal at the time. The title game was such a struggle. First major basketball championship for UConn. First is always special because it was so new. I was a teenager and just remember the celebration at Bradley, the rally at Gampel welcoming the team back, Rebecca going on Letterman and Rosie, and the massive parade brings back such simpler happier times.

2003- To lose 4 starters like the TASS force and come right back and win a championship was incredible. The wins over Texas and Tennessee were gut checks.

2013- After 3 heart breakers vs ND to blow them out like that was so satisfying. Most people thought this year was Baylor's so we got one early.

And as someone who remembers Tennessee's over the top celebration when they knocked us out in Kara Wolters final game and ND's equally obnoxious celebration when ending Maya's career, to watch Geno and the team after winning calmly walk over and shake the ND players hands and give Skylar her due was to me proof positive of why the UConn program has reached the heights they have. It's not just the talent. It's the people.
Three very good choices. If I had to pick one I'd go with 95 as it was such a season of firsts but there was something happening in 02/03 that you could sense all year....

jan03_bone_15.jpg

Reaction Score
2001 as the most talented team ever at UConn and they were my favorite.But I also the 2014 season when they crushed an undefeated Notre Dame team and passed The Great Pat Summit and the Lady Vols in the same game!

Reaction Score
I definitely have to go with 2014 for me. I started watching every single game starting with Stef and Bria's freshman year. They are the first class I truly witnessed the full journey with. Also having watched them struggle the first three years (even with the championship in 2013, as it was a roller coaster of a season) and then purely dominate their senior year together. I cried with Geno

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I definitely have to go with 2014 for me. I started watching every single game starting with Stef and Bria's freshman year. They are the first class I truly witnessed the full journey with. Also having watched them struggle the first three years (even with the championship in 2013, as it was a roller coaster of a season) and then purely dominate their senior year together. I cried with Geno
Mine, too, is 2014. I just love Dolson. Five All-American starters, plus Kiah, whom I also adore. They had me at "Hello." Or at least Maryland.

I've wanted to write about them on this board for a long time but never seem to get around to it. My number two is 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom