Is Marquette a UConn rival? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Marquette a UConn rival?

Reaction Score
maybe i'm reading this wrong but it seems more that its the top rivalries for the 23/24 season and yes, if UConn and Marquette are the top 2 teams in the BE than I can see it being a "rivalry". Dont see this as historic rivalries.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
maybe i'm reading this wrong but it seems more that its the top rivalries for the 23/24 season and yes, if UConn and Marquette are the top 2 teams in the BE than I can see it being a "rivalry". Dont see this as historic rivalries.
Going by that criteria I would nominate Creighton. They have our number. And they got jobbed in a Dance that we ended up winning. There has to be some building resentment there.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Unfortunately it takes time to build rivalries. With all the conference realignment we won’t have the same level rivalries we had during our first run in the BE. I can say I absolutely hated Georgetown and Alonzo Mourning. Felt the same about Iverson but that was all related to them kicking our butts for years. We just don’t have enough history with most of these schools. Now for all of us diehard fans it would seem we dislike Dook more than any other current team. So I am going with Dook if I had to pick a school I would want to beat the most.

Reaction Score
Can we beg Syracuse to be our rival ? They dont seem to acknowledge that we are. I guess theyre too good to be our rival lol
Take a look at their fan boards. They have a bad taste of UConn in their mouths

Reaction Score
I always thought Xavier's rival was Cincinnati.

Louisville vs UK used to be a rivalry

As for us, I love the new BE rivalry but cuse will always be my top rivalry. Sad we stopped playing beating them.

Reaction Score
"... for the 23/24 season"

And the answer to that is yes. If I could only buy tickets for one home game this year and/or I could only get belligerently drunk for one game, it would absolutely be Marquette this season.

Followed in order by Creighton, Nova, and Providence.

Reaction Score
UCONN's rivals are any and every program that stands between us and a National Championship. Point blank period.

DCT

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it takes time to build rivalries. With all the conference realignment we won’t have the same level rivalries we had during our first run in the BE. I can say I absolutely hated Georgetown and Alonzo Mourning. Felt the same about Iverson but that was all related to them kicking our butts for years. We just don’t have enough history with most of these schools. Now for all of us diehard fans it would seem we dislike Dook more than any other current team. So I am going with Dook if I had to pick a school I would want to beat the most.
Didn't realize we play Dook this season, my bad

Reaction Score
Agree with everyone else that they aren't really a rival, but we have had some great matchups over the years.

For whatever reason, whenever I think about Marquette, I think about Darius Johnson-Odom. That dude killed us. Played on some good teams too. Their 2010-2011 team had him, Jimmy Butler, and Jae Crowder. Crowder killed us at the XL Center in 2012, felt like he couldn't miss

Reaction Score
Funny, I thought we pretty much ruled them till I looked it up, and we’re 8-7 all time, 5-5 in the last ten games, and they beat us two of three last year. On the surface, seems like the seeds of a pretty good rivalry, and yet no. It’s not, and it can’t be forced.

Really just shows how important geographical proximity and common culture are critical to creating a true rivalry.

Reaction Score
In my mind these are our tiers of rivalries (excluding women's bball as I would say they have their own)

Tier 1: Syracuse, Nova, Georgetown
Tier 2: St. John's, PC
Tier 3: Pitt, Cincy, Duke
Tier 4: UMass, BC, I'd feel fine including Creighton/Marquette/Xavier here too

Reaction Score
PC always, all day every day with a little orange mixed in. Being a patriot fan and knowing the glory days are behind us I don’t care if wewin a game all season as long as we beat the jets now that's a rivalry. 15 and counting sorry jet fans had to say it.

Reaction Score
1. Villanova is for us because they were number 1 our spit in the Old Big East conference for years and it’s a role we aspire to.
2. Providence because we’re so close geographically. and Friar.?It seems they. Play their best against us .
3 Georgetown if they comeback under Cooley because that was the Battle for Old Big East
4. St Johns if they come back
Under Pitino
5 Xavier , Marquette, Creighton tough. games but not enough history junior

I tried to read this and I think I may have had a stroke

Reaction Score
This is a list of "great in-conference matchups." Some of them are also rivalries. UConn-Marquette is not one of them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Absolutely not a rival, but a game with heightened interest ala Creighton.

Syracuse is the one enduring rival, but I suspect that will fade away over time.

All the others have periods of rivalry, but nothing as sustained as Syracuse, as Georgetown St. John's and Pitt have all been up there at some point.

Reaction Score
Marquette feels closer to "Civil ConFLiCT status" in basketball than it does to rivalry by a long shot.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Why not, we had SMU as our main rival not that long ago

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can we beg Syracuse to be our rival ? They dont seem to acknowledge that we are. I guess theyre too good to be our rival lol
Lol, if you see the amount of bandwidth they spend on us on their site, then you would be inclined to say yes. Really, any relevance are Canadian friends had probably died when they so unceremoniously canned their Hall of Fame coach. I think of them the same way I think of UMass or URI a former rivalry that we've outgrown.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Probably the best pregame commercial we've ever done. It still makes me laugh to this day.

(And while the Marquette games should be great matchups and I'm looking forward to them, no, Marquette is not our rival.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom