Is it just me or is Natalie Butler upping her game? I believe she is asserting herself more | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it just me or is Natalie Butler upping her game? I believe she is asserting herself more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, Natalie seemed very unsure of herself - when making offensive rebounds she had a tendency to throw the ball back out to teammates as her first option. Now she appears to be looking to go back up as her first option. I think Natalie will be key in defeating South Carolina on Feb 13.
Nice posting---gives us all a chance to say how great she was last night!!!

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the first quarter of the Baylor game. Natalie came in for Gabby very early and was a monster instantly. First four plays she gets a rebound, o board, pretty jump shot and very muscular play.

I don't think she needs to improve from that, she needs the opportunity to shine.
Thanks---i needed that memory refreshment!!!

Reaction Score
I have been a fan of Natalie's since she came to UCONN! Is she going to be the 2nd coming of Tina Charles, of course no, but by the time we can to SoCar and the Conference Tournament and the NCAA's she will be a big asset to the Team! She's lost a lot of weight and has gotten into good shape and her game has shown improvement!
Right on!! No one should expect Natalie to be anyone other than Natalie. She works hard, practices hard (How do I know--Geno puts her in as a 5th or 6th option). She is smart--tell her, show her, what is wanted/demanded--and she'll do all she can to deliver like losing weight --she runs the floor better than many of the top 10 big girls.

Reaction Score
This game will have matchup problems all over. I think Williams will matchup better with Coates due to her leaping ability and quickness but I think Coates will be her toughest matchup due to her Strength and rebounding ability. However I don't think Alaina can guard Williams. I expect Williams to see a lot of different matchups on her like Cliney, Herbert Harrigan, and Davis. All those players are taller then her and have the athletic ability to guard her. The Collier vs Wilson matchup is the one I want to see most of all. Collier moves without the ball better then any player in WCBB so Wilson MUST be locked in Defensively. She's definitely my favorite player on this UCONN team and I LOVE HER GAME!! Wilson is using both hands finishing around the rim and is shooting the midrange jumper better this year so that's a plus. Collier may be a little quicker but Wilson is quick enough to keep up with her and strong enough to contain her on the boards. Both players must keep the fouling down as they are critical for their respective teams. I suspect KLS and Davis will be matched up against each other. KLS has been having a FEAST scoring the Basketball against smaller guards. At 6'3" she's a tough out. One thing I've noticed is that Davis has upped her game defensively and that will be key to guarding KLS. Davis is 6'2" and more equipped to guard her. Both can light it up so it should be a good matchup. I could also see Herbert Harrigan guarding KLS, at 6'3 she is long, fast, and an elite shot blocker. Gray vs Nurse and Chong vs Harris matchups should be even. Harris is playing far better then a freshman and is starting to be more consistent with her assists and keeping the turnovers down. Last year I would have agreed with you saying UCONN would be SC by 20+. If SC loses I will say it would be by 10-15+ but anything can happen and I sure do have faith in my team.
Every top 10 team (as they were when UC played them) has the same thoughts---Last year we couldn't beat Uconn --they dont have Stew, Tuck, Moriah---these other guys KLS, Gabby, Nurse, Collier are easy outs--undersized and none are Stewie or Tuck--or even moriah.. As history has shown--don't count your wins until you actually win.
Having said that--USC scares me more than any of the others--what tempers me being frightened they are playing at home in a Connecticut gym with a pro connecticut crowd. Uconn feeds off of the crowds--home or away--but more at home--
i certainly do not expect a blow out--I'll settle for 1 louzy point--there are no browny points for anything more.

Reaction Score
This game will have matchup problems all over. I think Williams will matchup better with Coates due to her leaping ability and quickness but I think Coates will be her toughest matchup due to her Strength and rebounding ability. However I don't think Alaina can guard Williams. I expect Williams to see a lot of different matchups on her like Cliney, Herbert Harrigan, and Davis. All those players are taller then her and have the athletic ability to guard her. The Collier vs Wilson matchup is the one I want to see most of all.in Defensively Collier moves without the ball better then any player in WCBB so Wilson MUST be locked . She's definitely my favorite player on this UCONN team and I LOVE HER GAME!! Wilson is using both hands finishing around the rim and is shooting the midrange jumper better this year so that's a plus. Collier may be a little quicker but Wilson is quick enough to keep up with her and strong enough to contain her on the boards. Both players must keep the fouling down as they are critical for their respective teams. I suspect KLS and Davis will be matched up against each other. KLS has been having a FEAST scoring the Basketball against smaller guards. At 6'3" she's a tough out. One thing I've noticed is that Davis has upped her game defensively and that will be key to guarding KLS. Davis is 6'2" and more equipped to guard her. Both can light it up so it should be a good matchup. I could also see Herbert Harrigan guarding KLS, at 6'3 she is long, fast, and an elite shot blocker. Gray vs Nurse and Chong vs Harris matchups should be even. Harris is playing far better then a freshman and is starting to be more consistent with her assists and keeping the turnovers down. Last year I would have agreed with you saying UCONN would be SC by 20+. If SC loses I will say it would be by 10-15+ but anything can happen and I sure do have faith in my team.

Wow quite the breakdown here. I hate giving credit when it is due especially when it is to a fan of the opposition. :D Having said that, this long analysis on a game that is still quite a ways down the road, meaning it is too early for this. However it does contain a gem of a comment in Colliers ability at moving without the ball. This is a compliment reserved for Larry Bird type players and says the opine is from one who really understands and observes the overall game. ;)

Reaction Score
The secret, BYers, is we have Geno and opponents don't! He has one of the truly great coaches minds in any sport!
He has a tremendous ability to see an opponents strengths and especially their weaknesses!
He gets his players prepared better than any other coach in Div. I! And his 1/2 time adjustments are legendary!
He will figure a way to get the most of the 7 or 8 players he uses vs SoCar so his match-ups, and double-teams, and switches will create a chaos that the opponents will not be able to attack or defend!
Watching the HUSKIES ACCESS show Wednesday night after the ECar game was amazing! His use of attacking his players then to say something that pushes his players to play above their skill level! He rides Crystal Dangerfield unmercifully, then hugs her when she exceeds his expectations! His constant snide comments keep the players constantly on edge and he makes sure no matter how talented his teams are they can never WIN in practice so he constantly keeps them humble going into a game! His alumni tell stories that he keeps changing the drill goals so they are always coming up short and he doesn't let them forget they failed! So they can't get too cocky!
The UCONN coaching staff is by far the best in WCBB not just for their BB knowledge, but their ability to prepare their players for life as well as BB!
I keep bringing up Doris Burke's comments from the end of last years championship game, "Opposing coaches shouldn't be jealous of UCONN's successes, they're not doing anything different, they are just flat out-working every other program! They're in better shape, and better prepared, than any other program!"
There isn't one coach in Div. I that comes close to Geno, as a coach! Not The Muffett, Dawn, Kim, Brenda, Tara, CVS, or any other coach you can name!

Reaction Score
The opposition coaches, and Geno also, try to find players that they can cheat off of on defense so that they can double-team the more dangerous scorers.

Natalie's great advantage in this regard is that, while she is not one of UConn's great scorers, as a center, she is always in a great position to score, unlike perimeter players.

She is showing ever increasing willingness and ability to put in a layup if left unguarded.

What she needs, and will get in the AAC schedule is game time. Chong, who has a lot more natural ability, will also benefit, as will Danger, and the other frosh.

There will be a solid 8 player rotation by the end of the regular season.
Great insight!

Reaction Score
The secret, BYers, is we have Geno and opponents don't! He has one of the truly great coaches minds in any sport!
He has a tremendous ability to see an opponents strengths and especially their weaknesses!
He gets his players prepared better than any other coach in Div. I! And his 1/2 time adjustments are legendary!
He will figure a way to get the most of the 7 or 8 players he uses vs SoCar so his match-ups, and double-teams, and switches will create a chaos that the opponents will not be able to attack or defend!
Watching the HUSKIES ACCESS show Wednesday night after the ECar game was amazing! His use of attacking his players then to say something that pushes his players to play above their skill level! He rides Crystal Dangerfield unmercifully, then hugs her when she exceeds his expectations! His constant snide comments keep the players constantly on edge and he makes sure no matter how talented his teams are they can never WIN in practice so he constantly keeps them humble going into a game! His alumni tell stories that he keeps changing the drill goals so they are always coming up short and he doesn't let them forget they failed! So they can't get too cocky!
The UCONN coaching staff is by far the best in WCBB not just for their BB knowledge, but their ability to prepare their players for life as well as BB!
I keep bringing up Doris Burke's comments from the end of last years championship game, "Opposing coaches shouldn't be jealous of UCONN's successes, they're not doing anything different, they are just flat out-working every other program! They're in better shape, and better prepared, than any other program!"
There isn't one coach in Div. I that comes close to Geno, as a coach! Not The Muffett, Dawn, Kim, Brenda, Tara, CVS, or any other coach you can name!
Another amazing thing about Geno and his staff is they do not keep their "recipe" a secret. He invites anyone to observe his practice sessions. It is not like how Coke keeps their formula in a vault or how KFC has a secret batter recipe. Bottom line: no other coaching staff wants to have a good cop/bad cop coaching approach. Many head coaches make all decisions - call all the shots - and no coach in the game can compete with the synergy of Geno & Co.

Reaction Score
Every top 10 team (as they were when UC played them) has the same thoughts---Last year we couldn't beat Uconn --they dont have Stew, Tuck, Moriah---these other guys KLS, Gabby, Nurse, Collier are easy outs--undersized and none are Stewie or Tuck--or even moriah.. As history has shown--don't count your wins until you actually win.
Having said that--USC scares me more than any of the others--what tempers me being frightened they are playing at home in a Connecticut gym with a pro connecticut crowd. Uconn feeds off of the crowds--home or away--but more at home--
i certainly do not expect a blow out--I'll settle for 1 louzy point--there are no browny points for anything more.

UCONN and your Crowd scares me! It's like playing at the opposite of the CLAW! Gampel is that big but man the crowd certainly gets involved in the game. Going to be a very fun and tough game!

Reaction Score
Longtime fan, don't you think the coaches have noticed what you have observed and are working to improve her in those areas?

Yes she will. but to what degree will she improve? And how much can that improvement be utilized vs the elite teams because not only will UCONN players including "The Core 4 improve" but so will other teams both offensively and defensively.

For example, if we were to face Texas again, the Texas bigs may "improve more" over the course of a season. At some point each player has a ceiling. So it isn't all about giving Nat minutes.

Otherwise all the championships we've won an our starters played less minutes, why didn't the teams with either the bigger bench or starters that played more beat us frequently? Just because we give Nat minutes - doesn't mean in a big game she is going to play well.

Reaction Score
UCONN and your Crowd scares me! It's like playing at the opposite of the CLAW! Gampel is that big but man the crowd certainly gets involved in the game. Going to be a very fun and tough game!

Tiny Arena's tend to get the crowd more vocal and energized---the 10,000 seating Gampel is just that--and when the Students (who the games as supposed to be for) are in town and at the game--it just exceeds all manner of fun.
This is the team Dawn has been waiting for--she has worked along side of Geno and knows how he thinks--there are few unknowns on either side--it will be about execution and defense. Anyone who can go and misses this game--isn't a fan.

Being Happy doesn’t mean every thing is perfect.

it means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes she will. but to what degree will she improve? And how much can that improvement be utilized vs the elite teams because not only will UCONN players including "The Core 4 improve" but so will other teams both offensively and defensively.

For example, if we were to face Texas again, the Texas bigs may "improve more" over the course of a season. At some point each player has a ceiling. So it isn't all about giving Nat minutes.

Otherwise all the championships we've won an our starters played less minutes, why didn't the teams with either the bigger bench or starters that played more beat us frequently? Just because we give Nat minutes - doesn't mean in a big game she is going to play well.
What does your post have to do with what I posted. I don't care about the improvement of other teams players. I'm interested in Butler's improvement. No one knows how much improvement she will make. Also, my post was not responding to Butler getting minutes. Go back and read the post I responded to and see if you can come up with a better understanding of my post.

Reaction Score
What does your post have to do with what I posted. I don't care about the improvement of other teams players. I'm interested in Butler's improvement. No one knows how much improvement she will make. Also, my post was not responding to Butler getting minutes. Go back and read the post I responded to and see if you can come up with a better understanding of my post.

I liked Long Time fan’s post. You can see even before I had replied to you, I put a “like” to his post. He highlighted some weaknesses while also highlighted some of her strengths.

Your replied post to him focused only on the coaches working to improve her weaknesses. I just replied what would happen if the coaches can’t improve her weaknesses or only improve her weaknesses and strengths to a certain degree. I further elaborated on that point.

That elaboration also indirectly responds to the thread of what “upping her game” means long term. I didn’t disagree with the OP that she is might be “reasserting herself” but I sort of responded/implied to you and him and others that “upping her game” to a level won’t mean a lot as it pertains to the context of Long Time fan’s post which I agree with.

When Long Tiem fan spoke of “a difference maker” your reply imo of what the coaching staff can ultimately do for Nat is irrelevant as is the OP using the words “she is asserting herself.”

Now I would disagree with Long Time fan if he didn’t think that she currently has been “A difference maker.” But again I felt Long Time Fan was speaking in the context of the OP’s subject line that she is “asserting herself” (i.e. offensively). She has asserted herself defensively already. And Long Time fan did explain he is darn glad to have her.

And I hope we won't get into a fight over this but I don't care that you don't care what other team's improvements will do. I feel it is important to the thread. Nat being more assertive offensively is not necessarily a good thing no matter how much Geno works on her weaknesses. As you have said often "it's just my opinion." Well suppose me and Long Time fan and others think Nat has limitations as a scorer and it probably isn't best for her to be more assertive? I don't see the problem with me expressing that while appreciating big time she has saved our bacon in some big games. I'm excited to have a bench player like that. No one knows - sure. But one can offer an opinion just as I have done.

Reaction Score
Curious post. Taking cranky pills? "Improvement" could be measured based on performance, which directly ties to competition and minutes.

Reaction Score

I agree that each player has a "max" upside that happens in spurts. We all thought Stewie was at the top of her game in her sophomore year, then we thought she hit the ceiling as a junior, but she fooled us. Also, she ups her game in March. Its like she goes from Mighty Mouse in February to Super Woman during March madness. I surely do not believe playing Nat max minutes will up her game exponentially, but getting some quality minutes each game will improve her. Why? Because she knows her teammates during the dozens of practice sessions - you get comfortable with each player - you know their ins and outs. In a game against a new opponent, you have to be more alert for all the moves they could put on you. in effect, you are on "high alert". Natalie is like where Dolson was late in her freshman year. It's time for Nat to bust out and throw caution to the wind. What is the worse thing that could happen? It is all upside with little or no downside. Let it go Natalie. So you get some offensive rebounds and miss a few off balance shots - you've got Gabby and Kia and Nepheesa to help with the board and put it back up.

Reaction Score
I believe you've just set the record for most exclamation points used in a post at 17. Congrats!

Reaction Score
I agree that each player has a "max" upside that happens in spurts. (6) We all thought Stewie was at the top of her game in her sophomore year, then we thought she hit the ceiling as a junior, but she fooled us. Also, she ups her game in March. Its like she goes from Mighty Mouse in February to Super Woman during March madness. I surely do not believe playing Nat max minutes will up her game exponentially, (1) but getting some quality minutes each game will improve her. Why? Because she knows her teammates during the dozens of practice sessions - you get comfortable with each player - you know their ins and outs. (2) In a game against a new opponent, you have to be more alert for all the moves they could put on you. in effect, you are on "high alert". Natalie is like where Dolson was late in her freshman year. (3) It's time for Nat to bust out and throw caution to the wind. What is the worse thing that could happen? (4) It is all upside with little or no downside. Let it go Natalie. (5) So you get some offensive rebounds and miss a few off balance shots - you've got Gabby and Kia and Nepheesa to help with the board and put it back up.

1-- I already think she is getting quality minutes. A few more for the AAC - sure.

2-- Sure and the minutes she gets she should continue to benefit from this.

3-- When you say "bust out" - I disagree. "Bust out" implies she is going to bust out and become an offensive weapon in the big games. She has a ceiling imo and therefore her game can't "bust out" because of as Long Time fan puts it "her athleticism and ability to be a difference maker." As a result, I want her to play in a manner that is complimentary. That is making great passes, getting offensive rebounds and setting great picks. IMO it is great she scores vs AAC no doubt because it limits "the drag" of the long season pressure for the Core 4 to have to score . It is great everyone score though. But when she is in with most of the starters, mostly we should be playing the game right. Which imo "by playing the game right" my definition of "right" is playing how you would play vs a top opponent for a good portion of the game. In portions the 4th qtr they can do whatever and build improvements too. But the other minutes - refine yourself in a complimentary manner playing with the "all-American quality candidates." Keep enhancing your abilities to make them better. Then they will enhance your ability to be more efficient.

4-- IMO there is absolute downside. You continue to play great and get better as team with more and more repetition. For example, I think Gabby and Lou and Collier have weaknesses that can be worked in which they could transform into being just "great" from what they are now to "All-time great." For example, Gabby doesn't have a 3ball yet and she commits too many turnovers. Lou just needs to continue to get tougher /low posting smaller players defending bigger posts and also work on her ball-handling and work on her positioning on defense. Collier needs to work on being more a facilitator and better passer. These are 3 of our top stars. They WILL have to perform in big games. You listen to the games as well as I. You heard Geno say in this last game that the team's offensive was becoming "too obvious." The Core 4 need their minutes too and they need more than Nat and they need to be more of a focal point.

Secondly, Kia needs to remain sharp. IMO one attribute she needs to keep sharp is her shooting. Her shooting won't get better by just dumping the ball to Nat.

Third I think Danger and even Chong to a degree have more upside (i.e. an ability to score a lot of points vs elite teams). So the downside to looking for Nat a lot is taking away shots from more talented offensive weapons who are also better passers. In other words, vs an elite team I don't believe Nat can be a legit top-of-the-line scorer in a close game and UCONN win- no matter how many minutes she is force-fed the ball and a focus vs these weaker AAC teams and no matter how much she works with Geno. But I DO KNOW Danger can score vs the elite while UCONN wins. Her style can be indefensible vs many of the elite teams. Nat's style vs many elite teams isn't. But IMO Nat's style can be super complimentary vs them. For example, a rebounder like her that can set up other scorers? I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5-- This leads me #5. IMO Nat is the 7th most talented offensive player on this team. Therefore her taking off balance shots is not a good thing. For example, I'm hopeful Danger can find her game and take more/knock down more shots while being a better passer. She is so quick. More importantly, imo when Nat gets offensive rebounds, if she is swarmed with size and athleticism, she should pass the ball out to 3pt shooters. How many times do we hear how when a team gets an offensive rebound, the defense isn't set? If they are swarming around the rebound which Nat gets or if one big player or very athletic player is near her, that defender she is "ready" to defend Nat's shot. That defender is probably more athletic with a quicker leap. But the other defensive players more than likely would be out of position because when the shot goes up, they turn their back from the offensive player. If Nat passes the ball back out to Lou or Kia for an open 3, those shooters are awesome. Right now they have a combined "Effective Field Goal %" of 68.34%. That is awesome. And now you give them a possible open look? It could be even better! This is a classic example of how Nat can make her teammates better which makes her very valuable to this team and as a result I hope she can continually improves her passing.

6-- You mean you didn't think Stewie would improve from her soph year? So when she shot 49.7% from the floor, you didn't think she would get much better that that? Even with her height and skill and athleticism?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1-- I already think she is getting quality minutes. A few more for the AAC - sure.

3-- When you say "bust out" - I disagree. "Bust out" implies she is going to bust out and become an offensive weapon in the big games. She has a ceiling imo and therefore her game can't "bust out" because of as Long Time fan puts it "her athleticism and ability to be a difference maker." As a result, I want her to play in a manner that is complimentary. That is making great passes, getting offensive rebounds and setting great picks. IMO it is great she scores vs AAC no doubt because it limits "the drag" of the long season pressure for the Core 4 to have to score . It is great everyone score though. But when she is in with most of the starters, mostly we should be playing the game right. Which imo "by playing the game right" my definition of "right" is playing how you would play vs a top opponent for a good portion of the game. In portions the 4th qtr they can do whatever and build improvements too. But the other minutes - refine yourself in a complimentary manner playing with the "all-American quality candidates." Keep enhancing your abilities to make them better. Then they will enhance your ability to be more efficient.

4-- IMO there is absolute downside. You continue to play great and get better as team with more and more repetition. For example, I think Gabby and Lou and Collier have weaknesses that can be worked in which they could transform into being just "great" from what they are now to "All-time great." For example, Gabby doesn't have a 3ball yet and she commits too many turnovers. Lou just needs to continue to get tougher /low posting smaller players defending bigger posts and also work on her ball-handling and work on her positioning on defense. Collier needs to work on being more a facilitator and better passer. These are 3 of our top stars. They WILL have to perform in big games. You listen to the games as well as I. You heard Geno say in this last game that the team's offensive was becoming "too obvious." The Core 4 need their minutes too and they need more than Nat and they need to be more of a focal point.

Secondly, Kia needs to remain sharp. IMO one attribute she needs to keep sharp is her shooting. Her shooting won't get better by just dumping the ball to Nat.

Third I think Danger and even Chong to a degree have more upside (i.e. an ability to score a lot of points vs elite teams). So the downside to looking for Nat a lot is taking away shots from more talented offensive weapons who are also better passers. In other words, vs an elite team I don't believe Nat can be a legit top-of-the-line scorer in a close game and UCONN win- no matter how many minutes she is force-fed the ball and a focus vs these weaker AAC teams and no matter how much she works with Geno. But I DO KNOW Danger can score vs the elite while UCONN wins. Her style can be indefensible vs many of the elite teams. Nat's style vs many elite teams isn't. But IMO Nat's style can be super complimentary vs them. For example, a rebounder like her that can set up other scorers? I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5-- This leads me #5. IMO Nat is the 7th most talented offensive player on this team. Therefore her taking off balance shots is not a good thing. For example, I'm hopeful Danger can find her game and take more/knock down more shots while being a better passer. She is so quick. More importantly, imo when Nat gets offensive rebounds, if she is swarmed with size and athleticism, she should pass the ball out to 3pt shooters. How many times do we hear how when a team gets an offensive rebound, the defense isn't set? If they are swarming around the rebound which Nat gets or if one big player or very athletic player is near her, that defender she is "ready" to defend Nat's shot. That defender is probably more athletic with a quicker leap. But the other defensive players more than likely would be out of position because when the shot goes up, they turn their back from the offensive player. If Nat passes the ball back out to Lou or Kia for an open 3, those shooters are awesome. Right now they have a combined "Effective Field Goal %" of 68.34%. That is awesome. And now you give them a possible open look? It could be even better! This is a classic example of how Nat can make her teammates better which makes her very valuable to this team and as a result I hope she can continually improves her passing.

6-- You mean you didn't think Stewie would improve from her soph year? So when she shot 49.7% from the floor, you didn't think she would get much better that that? Even with her height and skill and athleticism?
Great observations on upside / downside of the 4, Nat, and Chong and Danger. The only exception I take regarding Nat being in takes away scoring from another player - is Kelly Farris. She was "in" and her offensive and defensive prowess more than compensation for her less than stellar scoring. With out Farris in at least a handful of games, UCONN would have lost them - maybe not by much, but they still would have been lost. Farris was Geno's attack dog against the best player on any opposing team. It is okay if one player is not a scoring machine. Not sure what Farris averaged her first three years, but it probably doubled during her senior season.

Reaction Score

lastly, I believe most players have a breakout night - where they are hitting on all cylinders. Sure some never have one but those that do remember that night forever.

Reaction Score

If you are a "big" and you get an offensive rebound, there is an advantage to going back up to score - the biggest advantage is that you can put an opposing "big" in further foul trouble - maybe even that player will have to have some bench time for the rest of the quarter. To frequently pass the ball out makes one too predictable - and as a result, the opposing team can intercept the ball and go on a fast break. No, Nat needs to go back up from time to time - ideally when she might be positioned well to score.

Reaction Score
I have been a fan of Natalie's since she came to UCONN! Is she going to be the 2nd coming of Tina Charles, of course no, but by the time we can to SoCar and the Conference Tournament and the NCAA's she will be a big asset to the Team! She's lost a lot of weight and has gotten into good shape and her game has shown improvement!

RSher---i have great expectations everything is going well.
About Natalie---Some say her hand are not good. They forget that she is a BIG girl, and not truly mobile--so with that guards must be cognoscente of where she is facing and where she wants to go--and place the pass between her waist and her forehead--without "bullet" speed. Good guards know how when and where to make passes to posts. All post will not be Stewie or Kiah or even Steff. I am pleased with the progress she had shown during the past game--I anticipate she shall only get exponentially better (that was my I.G. impression).

Reaction Score
If you are a "big" and you get an offensive rebound, there is an advantage to going back up to score - the biggest advantage is that you can put an opposing "big" in further foul trouble - maybe even that player will have to have some bench time for the rest of the quarter. To frequently pass the ball out makes one too predictable - and as a result, the opposing team can intercept the ball and go on a fast break. No, Nat needs to go back up from time to time - ideally when she might be positioned well to score.

IMO you need to be "more than big." You also need to be athletic and/or significantly taller. But we've seen with Nat 5'10 and 5'11 players have stuffed her in the paint. She doesn't have the athleticism to put elite players into foul trouble.

Sure she can commit turnovers from passing, but a turnover is a mistake. It's easier to coach a player to limit her mistakes than it is for Geno to coach a big with limited athleticism that is susceptible of getting stuffed by 5'10 / 5'11 players of scoring in traffic in the paint, especially on our discussion of offensive rebounds.

Therefore, in terms of offensive rebounding, Nat should limit trying to go up in traffic in the paint unless she is wide open after the rebound. And I don't agree about your "predictability comment." The opposing team must defend for the layup or the 5 foot shot etc. They are going to contest the shot. Nat needs to be aware what she can get away and what her limitations are. I think some of the time she has made a wise decision passing after an offensive rebound and if she isn't wide open, especially vs the tough teams, she should pass. Sometimes this incorrectly mis-diagnosed as "she isn't being aggressive." It's not true,. She is just being smart/aware of the situation. Thus, it is easier imo for Geno to coach a player to limit her mistakes (pass) that force the player with limited athleticism to be a scorer after an offensive rebound in traffic.

Against the AAC she can go up because of the overall limitations of the conference opponent's size and athleticism. But vs the real good teams she needs to be "more along the lines" of a passer. Note: I said "more along the lines" of a passer. It doesn't mean she should turn down layups.

Reaction Score
Great observations on upside / downside of the 4, Nat, and Chong and Danger. The only exception I take regarding Nat being in takes away scoring from another player - is Kelly Farris. She was "in" and her offensive and defensive prowess more than compensation for her less than stellar scoring. With out Farris in at least a handful of games, UCONN would have lost them - maybe not by much, but they still would have been lost. Farris was Geno's attack dog against the best player on any opposing team. It is okay if one player is not a scoring machine. Not sure what Farris averaged her first three years, but it probably doubled during her senior season.

I don't quite understand your point -- but I think I do. Anyhow-- I think we are in a huge agreement- Farris was a beast. One year we had ND late and she was miraculous. Farris isn't on the wall - but what a basketball PLAYER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom