Is it just me or is Natalie Butler upping her game? I believe she is asserting herself more | The Boneyard

Is it just me or is Natalie Butler upping her game? I believe she is asserting herself more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, Natalie seemed very unsure of herself - when making offensive rebounds she had a tendency to throw the ball back out to teammates as her first option. Now she appears to be looking to go back up as her first option. I think Natalie will be key in defeating South Carolina on Feb 13.

Reaction Score
It did seem like Natalie played with a bee in her bonnet and that bee probably buzzed with a Phillyish accent.Natalie is a key component to five in a row and i would think she just needs a lot of minutes on the floor and she will surprise a lot of people come tourney time.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree that she may be more aggressive, but she still has a tendency to bring the ball down too low and get it poked out of her hands.

Having said that, I think she is a good matchup for Alaina Coates. Coates has more scoring ability with a bigger set of shooting tools, but other than that, they are mirror images of each other: two big, slow, immobile posts with minimal hops who have trouble defending anyone with speed or quick moves. If Natalie plays behind Coates while Gabby fronts her and makes entry passes extremely challenging, she will struggle. The question is whether KLS can neutralize A'ja Wilson enough to hold her below her average without getting into foul trouble. I doubt that Wilson will be any more able to defend KLS than KLS is to defend Wilson. Assuming that Wilson guards KLS, I don't know who South Carolina has that can defend either Napheesa or Gabby with any success at all.

I think UConn will win the February game by double digits, maybe by more than 20.

Reaction Score
The opposition coaches, and Geno also, try to find players that they can cheat off of on defense so that they can double-team the more dangerous scorers.

Natalie's great advantage in this regard is that, while she is not one of UConn's great scorers, as a center, she is always in a great position to score, unlike perimeter players.

She is showing ever increasing willingness and ability to put in a layup if left unguarded.

What she needs, and will get in the AAC schedule is game time. Chong, who has a lot more natural ability, will also benefit, as will Danger, and the other frosh.

There will be a solid 8 player rotation by the end of the regular season.

Reaction Score
The question is whether KLS can neutralize A'ja Wilson

I don't think that assignment will be in the first half plan. I'm guessing that Butler will sub in and cover Coates, but when it comes to Wilson, the assignment will likely be a matchup zone (a gimmicky defense from Geno?!?!) between Gabby and Pheesa, depending on which side of the floor Wilson is on.

Geno just doesn't game plan against one player often, especially when they aren't the opposing team's top player. I do think that Coates, while not their best player, is the key to beating South Carolina; keep her off balance and both their offense and defensive sets fall apart. Shadowing Coates with Butler (in-and-out together) could be a nice strategy; that would leave our best 5-6 players to spread time covering the best they can put in the game. That seems quite advantageous to UConn, but there has to be a flaw in it, somewhere. I just can't see it. Likely the hack from Philly has already found it and thrown that idea in the trash.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, Natalie seemed very unsure of herself - when making offensive rebounds she had a tendency to throw the ball back out to teammates as her first option. Now she appears to be looking to go back up as her first option. I think Natalie will be key in defeating South Carolina on Feb 13.
I am not a big fan of Natalie's athleticism and ability to be a difference maker for this team. She is, however, fulfilling an important role. She works hard and gives 100%, and has provided coverage for when our stars are tired or in foul trouble. We could not be doing what we are without her contributions this season. She does look better as she gets more court time, but it is also true that we are now playing lesser opponents.

Don't forget, when she won rookie of the year at Georgetown, they didn't play Notre Dame a lot. Meaning...her competition was marginal, and she won based upon her size and effort.

In any case, she is an important member of the team. She will be needed to bang bodies against South Carolina. I admire her and am glad we have her. But she isn't going to improve much, I fear. For one thing, she cannot go to her left in the post....she often has a clear shot if she does go left, but rejects it for a more comfortable move to her right, by which time the defenders have cornered her.

As her teammates learn better exactly how she can help, and exactly where her vulnerabilities are ( certain passes she just can't handle ), her minutes will become more efficient.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Longtime fan, don't you think the coaches have noticed what you have observed and are working to improve her in those areas?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For me, the big difference yesterday
was that when she got an O board or was passed to deep in the post
At least a coupla times she went straight at the basket w/o hesitation, bringing the ball down, over-thinking or (gasp) dribbling.
If she continues in that vein, it will be a main ingredient of future success.
We don't need big-time scoring from her
Her size and D will create problems for teams with other bruisers like SC.
But if she can build on yesterday's technical improvement, she can be very useful.

Reaction Score
Agree that looked different yesterday. Was one who thought from the beginning that she would a terrific and important addition. Have a been mystified by her lack of improvement, given that she has been around here for three years or so, and given that a number of our coaches, including the Top Dog, have worked with her. Doesn't seem, from outside, that the issues are all that complicated. Yesterday, for one of the few times, she really bulled her way to the hoop as if she really WANTED to put the damn ball in the basket. Basket....and ball....the name of the game, after all.

Reaction Score
I agree that she may be more aggressive, but she still has a tendency to bring the ball down too low and get it poked out of her hands.

Having said that, I think she is a good matchup for Alaina Coates. Coates has more scoring ability with a bigger set of shooting tools, but other than that, they are mirror images of each other: two big, slow, immobile posts with minimal hops who have trouble defending anyone with speed or quick moves. If Natalie plays behind Coates while Gabby fronts her and makes entry passes extremely challenging, she will struggle. The question is whether KLS can neutralize A'ja Wilson enough to hold her below her average without getting into foul trouble. I doubt that Wilson will be any more able to defend KLS than KLS is to defend Wilson. Assuming that Wilson guards KLS, I don't know who South Carolina has that can defend either Napheesa or Gabby with any success at all.

I think UConn will win the February game by double digits, maybe by more than 20.
Great observations!

Reaction Score

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I hope you are right, but what she does in "weak" AAC games is very much different than games with top rated teams.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
She was definitely more assertive last night and got the ball up quicker. Good to see that!

No way KLS draws the assignment against Wilson.

Reaction Score
I have been a fan of Natalie's since she came to UCONN! Is she going to be the 2nd coming of Tina Charles, of course no, but by the time we can to SoCar and the Conference Tournament and the NCAA's she will be a big asset to the Team! She's lost a lot of weight and has gotten into good shape and her game has shown improvement!

Reaction Score
Don't know if what she showed was more aggression. Seemed to me that she showed less inclination to think about plays and more inclination to just do it. One exception: that play where she was delivered the ball tried to turn right, brought the ball down, tried to turn left and then went back to the right and, of course, was called for travelling. Too much thinking when grabbing, turning and putting the ball up would have been a much better option. Overall, while there will be plays that drive us all crazy, the more Natalie plays, the better she will play, IMHO.

Reaction Score

This game will have matchup problems all over. I think Williams will matchup better with Coates due to her leaping ability and quickness but I think Coates will be her toughest matchup due to her Strength and rebounding ability. However I don't think Alaina can guard Williams. I expect Williams to see a lot of different matchups on her like Cliney, Herbert Harrigan, and Davis. All those players are taller then her and have the athletic ability to guard her. The Collier vs Wilson matchup is the one I want to see most of all. Collier moves without the ball better then any player in WCBB so Wilson MUST be locked in Defensively. She's definitely my favorite player on this UCONN team and I LOVE HER GAME!! Wilson is using both hands finishing around the rim and is shooting the midrange jumper better this year so that's a plus. Collier may be a little quicker but Wilson is quick enough to keep up with her and strong enough to contain her on the boards. Both players must keep the fouling down as they are critical for their respective teams. I suspect KLS and Davis will be matched up against each other. KLS has been having a FEAST scoring the Basketball against smaller guards. At 6'3" she's a tough out. One thing I've noticed is that Davis has upped her game defensively and that will be key to guarding KLS. Davis is 6'2" and more equipped to guard her. Both can light it up so it should be a good matchup. I could also see Herbert Harrigan guarding KLS, at 6'3 she is long, fast, and an elite shot blocker. Gray vs Nurse and Chong vs Harris matchups should be even. Harris is playing far better then a freshman and is starting to be more consistent with her assists and keeping the turnovers down. Last year I would have agreed with you saying UCONN would be SC by 20+. If SC loses I will say it would be by 10-15+ but anything can happen and I sure do have faith in my team.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the first quarter of the Baylor game. Natalie came in for Gabby very early and was a monster instantly. First four plays she gets a rebound, o board, pretty jump shot and very muscular play.

I don't think she needs to improve from that, she needs the opportunity to shine.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It looked like to me that Geno wants to get her going and last nite looked to me like plays were being run for Natalie to get her to score. I noticed alot of smiles on her face later in the 4th qtr. Smiles of being happy. I think she came along way last nite and she will continue to get better if they can get the ball to her down low. I liked what I saw last nite. Cant wait for Tuesday. I expect even more.

Reaction Score
It would appear to me that it's strictly a confidence issue with Natalie. She has all the necessary tools, she just needs to develop the confidence to use them and not quit trying when they don't always work. Playing against lesser competition (league play) results in an automatic confidence boost. I think she is going to be greatly needed against So. Carolina and on into the playoffs. Hopefully by then, she'll be willing to "bring it" every time out. I'm a believer and if and when she begins to truly believe in herself, this team could and should go all the way.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Funny how some folks have so much trouble giving this big girl her due. She's improving and working hard. She is going to keep on growing her game, and I am all for her. Let's be patient and enjoy the journey she's making.

Reaction Score
That's not your imagination--after her foul and sitting--and probably an explanation, in sweet sounding words from Chris and Geno--she returned and played like a Uconn post should play--good D, much better offense, --since my memory fails to recall the exact number she hit--I believe 18 point--6 rebound, 1 steal and assists--if she repeats this with FSU --i'll say she has gotten the message. And that message was --score, rebound, play D and be a good teammate. In the game last evening she was all that--i'm proud of her. Dangerfield was pretty good as well.
I hope she learns 2 things --2 thing Christine teaches---keep the ball high, don't dribble before the shot, shoot quickly or pass.(that's 3--third one is mine_)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom