Is hoping for Megan Walker to come to UConn a lost cause? and other recruiting news | The Boneyard

Is hoping for Megan Walker to come to UConn a lost cause? and other recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there any chance that Megan Walker lands at UConn?

With the exception of Crystal Dangerfield - it seems like the upcoming recruiting classes (2016 and 2017) seem really weak.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Any chance these that the 2016 & 2017 recruiting classes get better?

Thanks guys! Goooooo UConn!!!!!! #BleedBlue #FearTheDog

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

With the exception of Crystal Dangerfield - it seems like the upcoming recruiting classes (2016 and 2017) seem really weak.

Yes, Megan Walker might still land at UConn.
No, I do no feel like 2016 and 2017 classes are weak, not sure how anyone can claim this before they even play a single game yet.
Maybe, UCONN's 2016 class is done baring some last minute shift. 2017 might shape up to be a monster if we get MeganTron

Reaction Score

Keep in mind these upcoming recruiting classes are Geno's last ones. A recruit from the 2017 or 18 class may not have Geno waiting for them at center court on Senior Day. While this may not impact recruiting right now, I'd expect it to come next year or the season after that when he's out on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score

1. Yes, I think 2016 (minus Xtal) is a weak recruiting year. You will find plenty of denials. Fortunately, Geno can work with weak recruiting better than other coaches.
Some of the on paper weak recruits may turn out to be pretty good with UCONN coaching.

2. Relax. Have faith. The mantra here says that UCONN is not for everyone. That mantra worked brilliantly during the Chong year.

3. Once Taurasi led a UCONN team to an NC that did not have any seniors (not counting red shirts if any). Recruiting after the threepeat continued to suffer. Some recruits appeared to believe that UCONN was not for them and left. Others can enlighten you about the exact reasons. Four lean years passed before we were in Final Four again. A similar patch (hopefully shorter) cannot be ruled out now. Please remember that in 2004, we did not have South Carolina, Louisville, Ohio State and perhaps even Notre Dame seriously contending for the championship. These teams and perhaps others (Kentucky? Maryland? PAC12?) are paying more attention to team building (at least stocking up) . Many have good all round coaches (unlike Pat Summitt and CVS). They certainly will not lack resources (P5). I believe all these have contributed to bigger hurdles in recruiting. Going against them we will need talent (and height). I hope it will start arriving by 2018 if not 2017.

4. To survive, lower you expectations. If (and when) we are in the Final Four, we celebrate again. Geno has worked miracles before. So have faith.

Reaction Score

I don't know how to analyze future classes before they play (as Coco points out). I wasn't impressed with Stef when I first saw her. My take was that she might become a useful backup (I missed that one by a mile).

I worry now that if we don't add Walker or a couple of dynamic bigs that the next few years may resemble the dark ages after D moved on.

Those four years we had players who were of championship caliber (Strother, Turner, Rene,Tina....) but we just didn't have enough to get up and over the teams ahead of us. We were missing the scoring options we needed to become champions again. It wasn't until Maya's second year that we were strong enough to add another ring.

I remember thinking that Charde was going to be like Maya (before we knew what being like Maya really meant), but her game was not as suited to Uconn's as D's, Maya's and Stewie's have been and we suffered through, what for Uconn was, a NC drought.

KLS and Ann are different players with different skill sets, but one thing that they have in common (which I think was true for KML as well) is that they are complimentary players (extraordinary players but not stand alone talents like the Big Three).

I think that we are looking for another scoring talent and I'll admit that I don't know who that will be (Walker, Charlie Collier, the other dozen or so players who draw attention here), but fortunately Geno has done a pretty good job of finding the kind of players that do fit in here, and that have been able to rise to the challenge of competing for the untimate goal.

Like everyone else here on the Board I'll continue to obsess over our potential recruits, but also like everyone else I won't really know what we have until they're on the court dancing to Geno's music.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind these upcoming recruiting classes are Geno's last ones. A recruit from the 2017 or 18 class may not have Geno waiting for them at center court on Senior Day. While this may not impact recruiting right now, I'd expect it to come next year or the season after that when he's out on the recruiting trail.

Any recruiting class might be Geno's last one. Makes no sense to speculate. As far as I know, he is coaching until he no longer enjoys it. Could be tomorrow, could be 15 years from now or anywhere in-between.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2016 isn't really a bad class. The class after a big time class have always been a drop off.

TASSK class - KJ
Taurasi's class (5) - Ashley Valley
Hayes, Doty, Buck, EDD class - Faris
Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck class - Chong

And KLS, Collier, Boykin was a pretty good class. So one would expect a down year, but getting highly ranked Dangerfield along with complimentary players Bent and Irwin is not too shabby. I mean in prior years, we had a single recruit. Much better off for 2016.

Now granted the 3 classes of Hartley/Dolson/Walker/Engeln/MJohnson, then KML/Stokes/Banks, then Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck was pretty remarkable in a row. Hence why we've won 3 NC's and are a good bet to win a 4th in a row.

So, 2016 isn't as big a drop off as in other "off years". Although 2017 and/or 2018 do need to be pretty good ones. And we do need some height.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My hope is that after the season, the new AD will offer Geno a new contract and that Geno will sign it. This would help alleviate some of the concern you cite.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Let us not forget that for the next 3 years we have the tandem of Lou and Phee working alongside a great supporting cast PLUS add in Danger! for the next 4 to provide instant offense....I mean come on, are we really that worried?? What rank were these players?! (Almost exact to the senior class rankings)

It would be awesome to add ANOTHER top recruit (obviously Walker is holding everyone's hope) though I honestly feel that there's something extremely odd about the notion that a group like the aforementioned cannot produce one/multiple National Championships

Let us not get too anxious here folks

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Unless HoopsFan21 is a pseudonym for Geno's future self. Like some combination of time travel and quantum entanglement.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Are you basing this statement on some inside information or facts? Or is it just another example of wild speculation in the same vein as your preposterous statement about a player's friends and family in a previous thread? Thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I worry now that if we don't add Walker or a couple of dynamic bigs that the next few years may resemble the dark ages after D moved on.
I too hope the UCONN recruiting picks up but I'm not as worried about a dark ages because so far the major talent that has said no to UCONN is being dispersed between South Carolina, ND, Baylor even TN. Cox to ND plus the rest of that recruiting class would have almost certainly put ND on top for a while but then Taya departs ND and that puts ND closer back to the pack. No one of significance has joined Wilson in S. Carolina for two straight recruiting classes now. Baylor adding Cox is a significant gain for Baylor but added with MontPremier & Brown how much more powerful can the Baylor post become? Stanford added 3 Mickey D's AA this year they will contend ( For a Pac 10 Championship if they are lucky ) because Cal might add Ionescu & Oregon just added a stellar recruiting class making Pac 10 championship up for grabs. MD may get #1 recruiting class this year but I see the class as adding depth to already talented positions leaving MD contending to make sweet 16 next year- an improvement over this year.
Geno + KLS + Crystal is enough to keep UCONN out of the dark ages. Throw in Gabby, Kia, & Napheesa and UCONN will remain in contention for NCs.

Reaction Score
You know no such thing.

Reaction Score
Geno is 62. Recruiting starts in a player's junior year, or six years before their anticipated college graduation. In two years Geno will be recruiting kids that when they have Senior Day Geno would be a month shy of 70. Maybe you guys think he's going to coach until he's 75 or 80, I don't know, but I'd bet against it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno is 62. Recruiting starts in a player's junior year, or six years before their anticipated college graduation. In two years Geno will be recruiting kids that when they have Senior Day Geno would be a month shy of 70. Maybe you guys think he's going to coach until he's 75 or 80, I don't know, but I'd bet against it.
How contradictory! Geno is/has been recruiting the class of 2018. Specifically Chrysten Williams and Charli Collier so by your convoluted math he's two years ahead of schedule them?

Reaction Score
How contradictory! Geno is/has been recruiting the class of 2018. Specifically Chrysten Williams and Charli Collier so by your convoluted math he's two years ahead of schedule them?
I said in two years, not today. That means recruitment of the class of 2020 which is who he will be recruiting in two years from now.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cox to ND plus the rest of that recruiting class would have almost certainly put ND on top for a while but then Taya departs ND and that puts ND closer back to the pack.

Think you're giving Reimer way too much credit. She's not around now and they look very dangerous with a young roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Think you're giving Reimer way too much credit. She's not around now and they look very dangerous with a young roster.
Maybe, but a front line next year of Taya, Cox, Turner, Boley, & Westbeld would have been a problem for everyone for quite a while.

Reaction Score

Your orginal post said: "Keep in mind these upcoming recruiting classes are Geno's last ones. A recruit from the 2017 or 18 class may not have Geno waiting for them at center court on Senior Day." When the later class you referenced, i.e. the class of 2018, has Senior Day, Geno will be 67. Seems you changed the parameters once you were called out on how silly the original post was.

Geno may retire at 68, but health permitting, it wouldn't be shocking to see him still on the bench at 72 or later.

Reaction Score
Lou, Collier, Gabby, Nurse---let's start with 4 top ten players! Danger could be the 5th top 10 starter. If Tuck stays that makes 5 or 6 top players. Chong could be like Cable at ND. A great scorer! Butler/Irwin could be a solid, but not great, 5th starter. If Tuck is back I see a strong possibility of another FF. Without Tuck I see an elite 8.
ND, SC, Baylor, Maryland, Ohio State, Louisville & UCLA will be tough games. After that, it drops a bit. I want to win this year first and then enjoy watching UConn basketball unfold next year.

Reaction Score
I think that we are looking for another scoring talent and I'll admit that I don't know who that will be ...

I think that UConn has a couple of great candidates who can step up to be big time scoring threats... Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and (my favorite) Napheesa Collier. I think that the later two, in particular, have the talent to create their own shot and to score in a variety of ways.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The top 3 players on HG 2017 list are Walker, Boothe and Westbrook. Maryland is pursuing all 3 and thought to be the leader for Boothe. ND is pursuing Walker and, recently, Westbrook. Louisville is pursuing Walker and Westbrook as well as a hundred other recruits.

Reaction Score
KLS and Ann are different players with different skill sets, but one thing that they have in common (which I think was true for KML as well) is that they are complimentary players (extraordinary players but not stand alone talents like the Big Three).

I think that we are looking for another scoring talent and I'll admit that I don't know who that will be (Walker, Charlie Collier, the other dozen or so players who draw attention here), but fortunately Geno has done a pretty good job of finding the kind of players that do fit in here, and that have been able to rise to the challenge of competing for the untimate goal.

Like everyone else here on the Board I'll continue to obsess over our potential recruits, but also like everyone else I won't really know what we have until they're on the court dancing to Geno's music.
IMO KLS is MUCH more than "complementary player", and is - or at least will be - a "stand-alone talent like the Big 3" (probably exceeding Tuck, if I had to guess). I won't argue about KML, as she was much less multidimensional than KLS will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom