Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE?? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is Cooley Worst Coach in BE??

Reaction Score
Listing Cooley below English is ridiculous.

English was 34-29 at George Mason. He’s 19-11 at PC with Cooleys roster, 10-9 in conference. They beat Marquette and Creighton and who else? He has literally shown me nothing yet.
He did not have Cooley's roster. Don't care about your opinion on English, but Bryce Hopkins has missed the vast majority of the season. But don't let the facts get in the way.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Either way, Hopkins wasn't his recruit. When he starts bringing in his own talent, he'll start making his case.
Shouldn’t he get credit for re-recruiting the friars that could have transferred after Colley left. After all, coaches have to re-recruit their own players every year now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

English was 34-29 at George Mason. He’s 19-11 at PC with Cooleys roster, 10-9 in conference. They beat Marquette and Creighton and who else? He has literally shown me nothing yet.
English is already on record saying that Georgetown is his dream job so there's that.

Reaction Score
Shouldn’t he get credit for re-recruiting the friars that could have transferred after Colley left. After all, coaches have to re-recruit their own players every year now.
At the time neither Hopkins or Carter could transfer, so not really. I do give him huge credit for keeping Dual, even though he hasn’t been as good as was advertised.

Reaction Score

Of course he should get credit. Doesn't mean he's proven himself as a high-major coach yet.

Reaction Score
He did not have Cooley's roster. Don't care about your opinion on English, but Bryce Hopkins has missed the vast majority of the season. But don't let the facts get in the way.
And I don’t care about your opinion on him either. And I'm well aware of Hopkins injury.

So far he’s done nothing and Cooley has.

Reaction Score

English's winning percentage with Providence is .663%, albeit with Cooley recruits. Cooley produced a .613% with Pee Cee over a dozen years. I think that is within English's grasp.

Cooley was 119 - 99 in the BE during his tenure in the conference.

Reaction Score
And I don’t care about your opinion on him either.
I didn't offer one. My point was I'm not trying to change your mind, just point out your statement doesn't take into account a season-ending injury to one of the 5 best players in the league.
And I'm well aware of Hopkins injury.
Then why ignore it in your evaluation of the coach? That's rhetorical.
So far he’s done nothing and Cooley has.
1 NCAA tourney win every 4+/- years is quite the accomplishment. Pretty fair comparison to a 35+/- year old coach in his first year in a high major conference.

Reaction Score
I didn't offer one. My point was I'm not trying to change your mind, just point out your statement doesn't take into account a season-ending injury to one of the 5 best players in the league.

Then why ignore it in your evaluation of the coach? That's rhetorical.

1 NCAA tourney win every 4+/- years is quite the accomplishment. Pretty fair comparison to a 35+/- year old coach in his first year in a high major conference.
I didn’t realize I need to offer your checklist of criteria to make a point. It’s assumed that anyone who follows this conference is well aware of Hopkins injury.

That 35 yr old coach is in his first year only because the other guy got a 6m dollar a year contract for his resume and future potential impact.

Reaction Score
He should have won more at Kentucky.
What? He was there 8 years. They were coming off probation and were only eligible for 6 NCAAT. In those 6 years he:

Won a title
Lost an incredible national title game
Made an additional Final Four
Lost 2 E8 games, one of which is one of the greatest endings ever (that the probability of losing was insanely low).

Every year he was there and the team was eligible, he made the tournament. 5/6 years he was in the second weekend. He made 50% of possible Final Fours. The year after he left, the team he built won a title. Those 6 years were about as good as you can ask for, rivaled really only by UCLA and the late-80s, early 90s Duke teams.

MJ1

Reaction Score
At the time neither Hopkins or Carter could transfer, so not really. I do give him huge credit for keeping Dual, even though he hasn’t been as good as was advertised.
Technically you’re right, but players who were not eligible to transfer were granted waivers when a coach leaves the team. Both players stated they were sold on coach English and wanted to play for him. He also sold Jayden Pierre on staying after he told people he was going to transfer. Time will tell if he can recruit and coach at this level. He’s off to a decent start.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Let's not mix up "worst" with "bad".

But how many BE schools right now would trade their HC straight up for Cooley?

Or, how many BE teams this season would be doing better if Cooley was coaching that team as compared to the actual coach?
Depaul

Reaction Score
Technically you’re right, but players who were not eligible to transfer were granted waivers when a coach leaves the team. Both players stated they were sold on coach English and wanted to play for him. He also sold Jayden Pierre on staying after he told people he was going to transfer. Time will tell if he can recruit and coach at this level. He’s off to a decent start.
The NCAA specifically stated they would not give waivers for a coaching change last spring.

Reaction Score
He has success at 2 programs who have never had an expectation of winning it all. Next year’s recruiting class looks pretty solid. Let’s give him a year to see what he does with a better team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't understand the disrespect for Cooley, I think he's a very good coach who gets the most out of his players. This year, he's playing the hand he was dealt.

Until now, he's never been at a school whose name alone has any drawing power. In a couple years, he's going to have that program competing.

If Ed Cooley coached at UConn with the same results he had at Providence

We'd run him out of town a long time ago

3-7 in in the tournament.

4 one and done

Exactly one sweet 16 appearance, and that was his pinnacle

As overrated as it gets in my world

Reaction Score
If Ed Cooley coached at UConn with the same results he had at Providence

We'd run him out of town a long time ago

3-7 in in the tournament.

4 one and done

Exactly one sweet 16 appearance, and that was his pinnacle

As overrated as it gets in my world
Except you are comparing UConn with Providence. One of the top programs for the past 45 years with Providence. Totally different set of expectations.

Reaction Score
Except you are comparing UConn with Providence. One of the top programs for the past 45 years with Providence. Totally different set of expectations.
What would you consider a comparable school?

Reaction Score
Don’t know but not nearly the same tier as Huskies. Providence has been a stepping stone for pretty much everyone since Gavitt.
Agreed. It's not us, but would creighton be a comp? marquette? virginia tech?
What would be the power conf school where expectations were met at 3 tourney wins in 12 years?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Only 35 years

Good coaches win more, and certainly don't underachieve every post season

And many coaches more at lesser schools

caw

Reaction Score
Hard to tell how good a coach English is when he is riding Carter so much. The on/off for Carter is probably the highest in the BE among guards if not overall. They are really quite bad when he is on the bench. Other coaches ride great players too but Carter isn't even his recruit.

Reaction Score
I don't count DePaul since they may be beyond repair.

Hurley
Smart
McDermott
Holloway
Pitino
English
Mata
Miller
Neptune
Cooley
DePaul.

If you were drafting coaches, maybe you pick Cooley ahead of Neptune???

Smart has done so well at Marquette and they were/are a legit FF team with a healthy Kolek.

English keeping PC together without Hopkins, Miller doing a good job without Fremantle, Holloway and Mata have done well. Pitino is Pitino and McDermott can obviously coach.

Seems like Mova and Gtown are the two teams without an identity.

Put another way how many of the BE coaches would give you really bad vibes if they became HC at UConn?
Cooley has earned more respect from me than English. Cooley built PC and deserves a few years at Georgetown before judgement.

Also Neptune inherited a great team and has not done anything to advance Novas program.

Reaction Score
Any coach that wears a $35,000 gold Rolex Yachtmaster on game day is by definition a raging DB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom