Is Cobb hurt? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Cobb hurt?

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest here we don’t know the full story no matter what he just said. Something happened for him to not get off the bench at all considering his ability to score the ball on occasion. He’s a defensive liability especially against smaller quicker guys but if he’s been a good boy he’d see minutes. We don’t know and it’s staying in house it would seem.

Not sure why guys don't get this. Hurley made some bad choices yesterday, but he hasn't shown he's THAT dumb. Cobb is on an in-house suspension of some kind.

Reaction Score
For the record, I like Hurley... I know he's trying to set the tone and re-make the culture for the team.
His comments on Cobb were disappointing though.

If you're not playing Cobb because of effort, attitude, or some other behavior, then say that and let that be the message.

Hurley saying its effort and bringing it every day, then suggesting he'd have a tough time with Villanova's bigs rings hollow. They were down almost 30. Cobb has had some big games and Uconn certainly needed some offense in the 2nd half. If nothing else, give the kid a shot, maybe create a wrinkle for Villanova to solve and in the meantime maybe his energy sparks the team. To my earlier point, if he wasn't going to play, then why even suggest or make comment of the possible matchup issues... What's Cobb's takeaway from this?

Calhoun had his styles that were debated here as well (ie the quick hook)... Hurley will establish himself and the culture he wants. They've proven successful. I do think Cobb has proven valuable at times and you'll need him to be engaged. Not playing him down 25+ because of mismatch issues seems off.
Hurley does not owe us an explanation on why Cobb is sitting. My guess is that Cobb and the team are both aware why.

Reaction Score
Everyone saying Hurley should have played Cobb sure... but watching the game it’s clear that Cobb would have been put in the pnr every possession also how is Cobb going to guard his man if he is bringing the ball up the court?
Sorry, down 30?.... Try something different. Hurleys comments ring hollow.

Reaction Score
Sorry, down 30?.... Try something different. Hurleys comments ring hollow.
It's obvious that something else is going on with Cobb. It sounds like he's handling it internally but still protecting his guy to the media. You'd prefer he throws him under the bus?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cobb has his issues and needs to wake up, DH has his own issues and needs to wake up
The team on a whole has issues and everyone needs to wake up
The real season starts now
So...........................WAKE UP

Reaction Score
It's obvious that something else is going on with Cobb. It sounds like he's handling it internally but still protecting his guy to the media. You'd prefer he throws him under the bus?
Then why did he play him with the walkons vs Drexel? If there’s an issue then don’t play him at all. Playing him with the walkons makes no sense.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
How about you folks trust the coach who spends time with these guys every day during practice, knows how they’re doing in each of their classes, and is far more qualified to apportion out playing time than some lawyer or insurance salesman with a big TV?

Reaction Score
How about you folks trust the coach who spends time with these guys every day during practice, knows how they’re doing in each of their classes, and is far more qualified to apportion out playing time than some lawyer or insurance salesman with a big TV?

That could apply to any coach, good or bad. People on these boards don't have to be experts at everything in order to have valid opinions.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That could apply to any coach, good or bad. People on these boards don't have to be experts at everything in order to have valid opinions.

People are entitled to their opinions, but if their opinion is that their roster management strategy is better than Dan Hurley’s, that opinion should be open for criticism.

Reaction Score
Hurley does not owe us an explanation on why Cobb is sitting. My guess is that Cobb and the team are both aware why.
he doesn't... but he gave one. And the one he gave in my mind conflicts with itself for the reasons mentioned.
had he said, 'Minutes are earned...' done. we get it.

suggesting cobb was not a good mismatch when the team was down 25+ points at one point is a completely different message that brings other questions.

Reaction Score
not at all. using the media to send motivating messages to your players is not throwing them under the bus. GA does it all the time.
but what message does Cobb hear? he needs to work harder and despite his performance in games he may still not get a shot. Even down almost 4 touchdowns.... clearly carlton and yawkwe were doing so much better. I could see why coach was careful not to ruin their flow.

Reaction Score
Hurley has said on multiple occssions that game playing time is earned in practice. He’s not playimg so one can only assume he is bot practicing at the level he needs to.

If true, he should sit those players not playing hard during games also.

Reaction Score

When court side tickets are 125+, I believe we are owed at least a hint.

Reaction Score
Once Dan decides a guy "isn't ready", or just "isn't going to play"....that guy can pretty much sit all year.
Just ask any Rhody fan. And Dan doesn't give two craps what you paid either, he appreciates you being there, but you're not going to influence anything. Thank God.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There have been some times where Cobb gets in during mop-up time where he does things that strongly (at least to me) look like some moments to the coach, just based on body language and facial expression. The baseball pass at the end of the Drexel game was one, and a deep 3 he took in one of the last Ollie games was another. I could am be and probably am wrong, but it's just the impression I get.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom