Ireland’s 6'5" Gandy Malou-Mamel, class of 2025, commits | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ireland’s 6'5" Gandy Malou-Mamel, class of 2025, commits

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is a Jim Calhoun-type recruit. Can't teach height!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Verona with the Quinn family. She attends Gill St Bernard's school.

Kieran Quinn is originally from Ireland and came to the US on a basketball scholarship. His daughter Sydney, also class of 2025 at GSB, just committed to play basketball at the US Naval Academy. Kieran jr is younger than Sydney and Gan and is apparently a very good player.

Quite the family.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Top of the morning to our newest recruit. A couple of thoughts. I love the fact that UConn can fly yet another flag for their League of Nations recruits over the past few years. (Somebody please post an Irish flag.)

The one thing that is always important for any BIG to play at UConn is that they must “run the court!!!” From the very limited highlights of her, clearly Gandy runs the court. That’s a good place to start if you’re going to play for Geno.
Many of us are wondering WHY Geno recruited her. This may help to answer that question...................Gandy Malou-Mamet has not had to suffer from any of the trappings that American kids suffer from. She has no ego, selflessness, attitude, entourage or an AAU mentality. She is just a kid in a far away land, that has taken full advantage of all it has to offer. :cool:

NOTE -
People that know her and have/interacted with her, or seen her play are all saying the same thing. And it's all good!! :rolleyes: Geno and his staff just hit another home run for the program. :D She's still got two more years in high school. Plenty of time to work on and get to the skill level the UConn staff wants her to have when she arrives at campus in May 2025.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Worth noting that in the Hoopgurlz top 60 for 2025, plenty of talent but not a lot of size. Betts (who I assume we have no shot at) and McGaughy at 6'3" and the 44th ranked player at 6'5". No one else over 6'2".

We also haven't hit on a big yet in 2024 with Strong and Carlton in the mix, Koval a long shot.

So it seems like a development risk worth taking.

The big prize is Vukosa class of 2026, 6'4".
I still hope UConn gets Woliczco. That may be spelled wrong but the player I refer to is very talented but may be only a high school sophomore this coming season.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The icing on the cake is that "Gandy" rhymes with "Candy", "Dandy", "Fandy" (as in, I am a Fandy of Gandy), and "Handy". So we will have some fun with that, because we are easily amused. :D

Let`s steer clear of "Mandy", a very forgettable song from the seventies.

If Shea was able to recruit her she would have been "Vandy Gandy".

In any event, I am happy that we were able to "landy Gandy".

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I still hope UConn gets Woliczco. That may be spelled wrong but the player I refer to is very talented but may be only a high school sophomore this coming season.
I hope we get Woliczko as well.

But the one I was referring to is Olivia Vukosa, from Christ the King in New York (alma mater of Sue Bird and Tina Charles). She is rated number 2 on Hoopgurlz 2026, and Woliczko is number 4. Both outstanding difference-makers. Vukosa has an offer from UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I read she's only been playing for 2 years. What other sport or sports did she play? You dont get that athletic from sitting around watching TV. It would be very interesting to know.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe she is our next Stokes type player who has a gift for rebounding and blocking... a fun possible scenario where one day she is at the 5 with Vukosa at the 4.

That's what I was thinking. If Gandy's offense is a little rough, she can still be effective by rebounding and defending like Kiah did.

Reaction Score
I agree I think Geno is sorta tired of the hyped-up players who have no desire to be coached so that they can improve like some of his more recent high recruits who wore him out in practices because they were uncoachable. I think he's looking for players who are hungry and thirsty for greatness and are willing to be molded because they are aware that they have not arrived and are not god's gift to women's basketball as some of these AAU coaches have them thinking, therefore, they have accountability but are always looking to be put on a pedestal and celebrated as the next big thing...Great choice Geno now you and your staff coach her up

Reaction Score
Which former UConn player played a little pro ball in Ireland after graduating? Wonder if there is a connection.

Reaction Score
The icing on the cake is that "Gandy" rhymes with "Candy", "Dandy", "Fandy" (as in, I am a Fandy of Gandy), and "Handy". So we will have some fun with that, because we are easily amused. :D

Let`s steer clear of "Mandy", a very forgettable song from the seventies.

If Shea was able to recruit her she would have been "Vandy Gandy".

In any event, I am happy that we were able to "landy Gandy".
I foresee an entire section at Gampel called "Gandy Land" for all of her groupies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She's from Limerick!

There once was a baller named Gandy,

Whom the Boneyard thought was quite Dandy ....
Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom