Iowa State Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa State Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Drummond is an absolute freak athletically. He no joke might be the fastest player baseline to baseline on the team. He absolutely has the lateral quickness to guard 90% of bigs out there....in my homer opinion its more like 99%.

Sorry, I just don't see that being a mismatch at all as long as he can stay out of foul trouble.

I just fear Bazz, Lamb, Boat, and Gif leaving their assignment all day trying to help out leaving a wide open 3 point shooter.

Reaction Score
I am really looking forward to this matchup as a basketball fan. It should be very interesting to see these two teams matchup. I can't wait to see what a crafty veteran coach throws out there to defend Royce and the shooters of ISU, on the flip side Fred has been very good at using different defenses to confuse teams.

Reaction Score
its laughable to think andre can't stay with royce. That must mean you haven't seen a minute of him play. Andre thrives in showcasing his ample amount of physical talent. You guys should be worried about how the hell is christopherson ( name reminds me of fantastic mr fox) going to check boatright. MY main concern is this tall forward you got coming off the bench hitting threes

Reaction Score
I could suggest to dismiss Royce's offensive ability and impact is just as silly. Dude had 36 26r and 9a in the two games against KU and Thomas Robinson. I personally think it will be a very good matchup, and IF Royce is able to draw a 2nd defender that will leave our shooters open. I think this is a great first round matchup and can't wait to watch it on Thursday night.

caw

Reaction Score
Royce is a very good player but I don't think he's some transcendent talent. It will be interesting to see who defends him.

The bigger question for ISU is how they can defend the paint. No shot blockers and a short lineup that has trouble keeping quick guards out of the paint.

Reaction Score
I could suggest to dismiss Royce's offensive ability and impact is just as silly. Dude had 36 26r and 9a in the two games against KU and Thomas Robinson. I personally think it will be a very good matchup, and IF Royce is able to draw a 2nd defender that will leave our shooters open. I think this is a great first round matchup and can't wait to watch it on Thursday night.

I agree. I don't want you to think we are dismissing him as a player. We are just confident that Drummond can man him up.

Reaction Score
And by that I mean conceding 20 and 10 as long as we don't have to help with any of other defenders and lock down your 3 point shooters.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
This year has been a crapshoot anyway
That pretty much sums it up. Enjoy every game now as it may be our last.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
If their guards cannot defend our penetration (no zone), and they don't really block shots, then why not attack from outside and get Royce in foul trouble? If he's out, no help defense is needed, just stick to the shooters.

Reaction Score
That has been the recipe, to be honest I didn't feel good about the Texas game all week. If you have three athletic guards that can get to the hole and finish you are going to give us a lot of trouble. Two of our key players only played 24 combined minutes against UT due to foul trouble, it changes the game plan a little when you have to have a walk-on guarding a McDonald's All American.

Reaction Score
If their guards cannot defend our penetration (no zone), and they don't really block shots, then why not attack from outside and get Royce in foul trouble? If he's out, no help defense is needed, just stick to the shooters.
Teams have tried, but Royce doesn't get in foul trouble and the guards do a pretty good job of closing off angles for entry passes.

Reaction Score
I watched the Texas game and was very impressed with Royce. He makes some moves that just kind of wow you and can distribute the ball if there is a better look available. I think Drummond can D him up pretty well athletically and Roscoe should be able to hold his own when Drummond needs a break (though we'll definitely be giving up size down low). They seem like a very similar team to ours in that they were pretty prone to just kind of falling asleep on some plays in that game. Also, Babbs vs Lamb should be a heck of a matchup, but athletically, I don't know how they're going to check guys like Boatright and Shabazz on D. Should be a good game though. Their ability to hit the outside shot should make it very competitive, our boys have to come to play.

Reaction Score
Drummond is an absolute freak athletically. He no joke might be the fastest player baseline to baseline on the team. He absolutely has the lateral quickness to guard 90% of bigs out there....in my homer opinion its more like 99%.

Sorry, I just don't see that being a mismatch at all as long as he can stay out of foul trouble.

I just fear Bazz, Lamb, Boat, and Gif leaving their assignment all day trying to help out leaving a wide open 3 point shooter.
I highlighted the operative phase there. They can't afford AD and AO getting into early or late foul trouble to that matter.

Frankly, with the lost hour of sleep and being bracketology over-saturated, I just can't handle breaking this match-up down to the minutia. If our guys rebound, team defend, move on offense and make shots, they will win. If they have breakdowns in any one to two of those areas...well, I don't want to even think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom