Iowa beats South Carolina! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa beats South Carolina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tip my hat to Iowa. Great win for them and their program. Congrats, Coach Bluder!!! One classy coach. Mad respect for South Carolina. Great run for that program and their players. Just a chance to learn from this game and get ready for next year. Because South Carolina is not going away anytime soon. But congrats, Iowa!!

Reaction Score
A lot of fun to watch. The best game I’ve seen since last year’s Elite Eight UConn NCS. Really important for women’s basketball. A huge television audience, some of whom don’t watch much or any women’s basketball, got to see why WCBB is great.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I like Dawn and recognize the tremendous job she’s done in building SC to be one of the dominant programs in the nation, it’s probably good for WBB that the Gamecocks lost. SC’s “phone booth” offense, with 2-3 centers on the court at the same time takes WBB basketball back to the dark ages, at a time when everyone else is spreading the floor, running motion offense and shooting the 3.

Don’t get me wrong. If I had the same roster that SC has, I would be running the same offense Dawn is running. But from an aesthetic standpoint, it’s not very entertaining.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tip my hat to Iowa. Great win for them and their program. Congrats, Coach Bluder!!! One classy coach. Mad respect for South Carolina. Great run for that program and their players. Just a chance to learn from this game and get ready for next year. Because South Carolina is not going away anytime soon. But congrats, Iowa!!
Agree with you on Coach Bluder. Great game plan...listening to Caitlin Clark's post game comments on their offensive strategy of pulling SC's bigs away from the basket & the effectiveness of the screen/pick & roll action were keys offensively (of course, it helps when you've got a "smart" ball player like Clark) Defensively, packing the paint wasn't full proof, but, again, it stifled Boston and the other bigs & was vital. Great win by IOWA & outstanding game for WCBB!

Reaction Score
+1

Boston was treated tonight like Edwards has been treated for 3 years. When she put her shoulder into her defender and a foul was called she was legitimately shocked and so was I. I watched her do that 3 times in a row to a defender, finally knocking them on their butt on the third hit. No whistle.
Cardoso was herself. When she got low position she was basically unstoppable but Iowa didn't compound it by fouling.

The game was iced with an Iowa offensive rebound and also that Iowa was 14-14 from the line while SCar was 9-13. Missed shots and failure to rebound did in the Gamecocks at the end.
Cardoso avoided fouls but it appeared to me that the refs let her get away with a lot of traveling violations in the paint.
Although Boston was called for fouls she usually would get away with, no foul was called when she threw Clark to the floor on an apparent jump ball call late in the game. It looked like Clark got thrown to the ground after the whistle. Jump ball or not, in the NFL a competent ref would have called her for unnecessary roughness for throwing down an opponent after the whistle.

Reaction Score
While I like Dawn and recognize the tremendous job she’s done in building SC to be one of the dominant programs in the nation, it’s probably good for WBB that the Gamecocks lost. SC’s “phone booth” offense, with 2-3 centers on the court at the same time takes WBB basketball back to the dark ages, at a time when everyone else is spreading the floor, running motion offense and shooting the 3.
Don’t get me wrong. If I had the same roster that SC has, I would be running the same offense Dawn is running. But from an aesthetic standpoint, it’s not very entertaining.
They also had an off shooting night. Brea Beal was off all night, and usually has some pretty shots from the wing. Just not their night.

Reaction Score
First, a big congratulations to all the teams that made the final four and particularly, Iowa and LSU for making the finals.

In my view, the Iowa win was not as improbable as many make it out to be. If you study the stats, both teams scored lower than their season averages, as expected in a final four game. Iowa had greater success shooting the ball as their two top scorers were at or above season averages - they delivered. Clark had a stellar night. For SCar, Boston and three other starters were below their averages. Overall, the shooting percentages of SCar were sub-par, particularly from the outside. Cooke had a great night as did Cardozo, who played more minutes than usual. Despite early foul trouble, Boston played for 25 minutes, one less than her season average. SCar had more turnovers. Iowa had a perfect night at the free throw line.

This was a case of many small things adding up. Maybe it was the burden of delivering a perfect season for SCar. Maybe it was the “nothing to lose” attitude of Iowa. Two great teams. Only one team could win and last night was Iowa’s night. It was a very exciting game and a great one for women’s basketball!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Failure to rebound? South Carolina had loke 15 offensive rebounds. Maybe even more.
To be exact, S. Carolina outrebounded Iowa by nearly a 2-1 margin, 49-25. More than half of them -- 26! -- were offensive rebounds.
Cardoso and Boston had nearly as many rebounds by themselves (24) as Iowa's entire team. That's why Warnock's offensive rebound off the Clark forced three stood out so much: the Hawkeyes got a rebound!!

Switching to another post-game subject, if Boston is thinking hoops, I think she should go pro: there's nothing left for her to gain from coming back to the college game. The pro's defensive three-second rule will cut down on double teams and she'll be able to go one-on-one for the first time in ages. Plus, N'Lyssa Smith and Queen Egbo are perfectly fine young players to take the floor with.

Amihere should come back to determine what her best position is and get experience there. She and Cardoso can take over for Amihere/Saxton.

Reaction Score
Couple of notes:
  • Geno probably kicking himself for the lost opportunity this year. SC and Stanford were bad matchups but he wouldn't have to face them as it turns out. His Top 7 could or should have beaten the remaining teams even with all the injuries and fatigue. Just a horrible performance against an inferior OSU team.
  • Congrats to SC for a good season but boy Staley had a bad night. She let 1 player beat her, without double and triple teaming her and trapping her. She had the depth to do it for 40 minutes. SC out rebounded Iowa 2 to 1 and still lost. Iowa shot much better, mainly through Clark and her assists.
Iowa met the moment. What's not to like. This is great for all basketball. This was wonderful encouragement for youngsters everwhere. The game is not about a 2/1 advantage on the boards but an all round effort with great determination. A game for the ages!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They also had an off shooting night. Brea Beal was off all night, and usually has some pretty shots from the wing. Just not their night.
You could say that about Iowa as well. Other than Clark & Czinano, the Hawkeyes didn’t get much of anything from the rest of their lineup, all of whom are deadly shooters from the arc. This is exactly what happens sometimes in Big games, when the game moves a little faster and the pressure is enormous.

Reaction Score
+1

Boston was treated tonight like Edwards has been treated for 3 years. When she put her shoulder into her defender and a foul was called she was legitimately shocked and so was I. I watched her do that 3 times in a row to a defender, finally knocking them on their butt on the third hit. No whistle.
Cardoso was herself. When she got low position she was basically unstoppable but Iowa didn't compound it by fouling.

The game was iced with an Iowa offensive rebound and also that Iowa was 14-14 from the line while SCar was 9-13. Missed shots and failure to rebound did in the Gamecocks at the end.
Now if the one only Dee Kantner called those fouls it would be the Cinderella ending to SC season :)

Reaction Score
You could say that about Iowa as well. Other than Clark & Czinano, the Hawkeyes didn’t get much of anything from the rest of their lineup, all of whom are deadly shooters from the arc. This is exactly what happens sometimes in Big games, when the game moves a little faster and the pressure is enormous.
That's just wrong. Clark 50%, Czinzano 6-8, the others 7-18. So they all shot well. And for SC, Beal, and Boston were horrible, 3-18, combined. And Saxton was 0-2, nonfactor

Reaction Score
Qualifiedly agree. Iowa actually did not have an especially good shooting night. A few 3s were in-and-out. 7 for 23 from beyond the arc. If only a 2-3 3-pointers had dropped, the margin of victory could’ve been double-digits, easy. And if, say, Iowa was unconscious, they could won by 15+. Don’t get me wrong; this was a very close game—a dog fight throughout. A lot of things had to go wrong for SC and right for Iowa for the Hawkeyes to win. Just saying that lights out shooting turned out not to be one of them.

Reaction Score
Clark responsible -- via scoring or assists -- for every Iowa point in the 4th Quarter.

Meg Warnock grabs a Clark missed three-pointer for seeming their only offensive rebound and that give possession to Iowa and a string of Clark made FT's. Nothing but net.

Stellar performance.
Why wasn’t the ball taken out of Clarks hand? We beat Iowa.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Boston, feeling like the referees, let Iowa be a little more physical in her post game presser was a very laughable moment. South Carolina obviously is a hard team to referee against but you can't complain when other teams fight back. Great game by Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes. I feel like both teams played to their brand of basketball and did everything that makes them dominant teams. It's the small things that leads to a victory for a team and I feel like that is what won the game tonight.

PS
As a UConn fan, I feel cheated. The potential of a three-headed monster Lou, Azzi and Paige. Seems like that was the formula Iowa had. Perimeter shooting not allowing South Carolina's post players to stand in the paint. We have that formula but we never have had a chance to see it at full strength.

Reaction Score
While surprised SC lost, it was not a surprise regarding how they guarded Clark. Living in SC, I have seen many games and they have rarely faced scorers like Clark, Siegrist, etc. and when they did face a hot shooter, I don't remember them ever using double teams. Shows how even the best coaches of the best teams need to be prepared to evolve and change with the moment.

Reaction Score
+1

Boston has been getting away with those fouls for years. Dawn made an oblique reference to it at the start of the 4th quarter when she talked about correcting "the foul situation". They finally called Boston for them and that plus the brilliant Iowa game plan in packing the paint and daring certain players to shoot from the outside and Clark's iconic performance was the game. The other thing they did was race down the court when they got the ball on offense for 2 reasons. One, the SC bigs are slower and two, they couldn't set up their defense so there were several layups.

Reaction Score
While surprised SC lost, it was not a surprise regarding how they guarded Clark. Living in SC, I have seen many games and they have rarely faced scorers like Clark, Siegrist, etc. and when they did face a hot shooter, I don't remember them ever using double teams. Shows how even the best coaches of the best teams need to be prepared to evolve and change with the moment.
Sometimes pride comes before actually making adjustments to current situation(s). Geno gets a lot of this as well.

Reaction Score
I was one of the few that felt Iowa could win.
Whenever a team is crowned and heralded like they can’t lose ….they usually do….
And the
This loss proves how difficult is or will be for teams to duplicate what Geno ….CD and UCONN have accomplished.
It felt so strange us not being at FF…..
Congrats to Iowa and Clark is Paigenasque
refs called the game where South Carolina were not allowed to play their usual ramming game.

I think that was a real factor in the game. Certain teams play up to and over the line with aggressive fouling and it's a huge advantage when they can get away with it. This has been a consistent strategy for teams playing UConn and a means for less talented teams to compensate for that difference. LOVED when Geno shared an image of bruises on Lou's arm. It's also a persistent problem with WBB officiating.

MAJOR cheers for the refs in the semi-final game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom