Iona | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Iona

Reaction Score
607BC575-2B64-4570-ACDE-94A1C15D2335.jpeg

Reaction Score
If this was true Rutgers would have made it. Their OOC SOS was like #320
Rutgers lost a whopping 11 games in its conference. That's not what I meant when I said, do well in your conference.

Reaction Score
Getting away from Big East refs is going to be a breath of fresh air. Part of the reason we struggled against the press at times is because teams can get physical with our guards and fouls won't be called. We're not going to see that in the NCAAs.
Let's just hope we haven't finally gotten too used to the Big East refs because that could mean big trouble for us. Wait, we always get flagged for the ticky-tacks. I don't know what to think.

I don't get the 4:30 slot or if there is a method to scheduling. It seems having two locals playing in Albany, a 7:30 game would be much better for both attendance and tv. Most people still have to work you know.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know that some of you hate to hear it, but there is actually empirical support this season for a prediction that UConn make the final four. The only people that think it’s crazy or the product of “nostalgia” are on this board. The same people who recommend that the coaching staff read basketball strategy books in the off season.
I imagine that some of the experts are being nostalgic on how we steamrolled Providence a few weeks back, how we did the same to Marquette a couple weeks earlier and how prior to league play we looked like we could handle anyone.

Reaction Score
Our OOC SOS was 143. Xavier’s was 46. They played a more difficult schedule, swept us, and were a half-game back (25-9 vs. 25-8) due to playing and losing in the BET final. They had a better year.
I really honestly don't care if the cupcake I play is ranked 200 or 400. It just doesn't matter at all to me. It might matter to the SOS you're quoting. But I will say it again: beating Alabama and Iowa State should mean something. I mean UConn football played Michigan, NC State and Syracuse last year. Very tough OOC. Maybe one of the toughest OOCs in the nation.

Reaction Score
I imagine that some of the experts are being nostalgic on how we steamrolled Providence a few weeks back, how we did the same to Marquette a couple weeks earlier and how prior to league play we looked like we could handle anyone.
Maybe they know that UConn should play as well as they did in the OOC now that they're out of BE style of play

Reaction Score
soft friday…can’t believe bosses still think anyone’s working

Reaction Score
Let's just hope we haven't finally gotten too used to the Big East refs because that could mean big trouble for us. Wait, we always get flagged for the ticky-tacks. I don't know what to think.

I don't get the 4:30 slot or if there is a method to scheduling. It seems having two locals playing in Albany, a 7:30 game would be much better for both attendance and tv. Most people still have to work you know.
The method is that they have the play 4 games in one day at the site. Can’t please everyone. Tickets are $150 and it’s St Patrick’s day. Attendance will be fine.

Reaction Score
Interesting from the Iona forum:

Gaels fan but from CT and seen every Uconn game this year.
Their depth and size will certainly be the topic of discussion. Andre Jackson is their BJL, an elite level defender who can jump out of the gym but has struggled mightily with his outside shot. 22-78 (28.2%) on the season. Teams have sagged off him throughout the season daring him to shoot similar to Berrick lately.

Clingan is their backup 5 and really only backup big man who plays. Played 10-15 minutes the last 10 games, will definitely cause problems on the glass but he can't run as well as our bigs if we can get in transition while he is on the floor.

Expect them to use backup PG Hassan Diarra to help handle the press if Newton is struggling.

My matchups would be:
BJL on J Hawkins - need to deny him any open looks early and especially find him in transition
DJ or WC on Tristan Newton - not a true PG and could cause problems in the press
DJ or WC on Andre Jackson - they will definitely use him to break the press, sag off him in the halfcourt. Causes havoc on the glass and 50/50 balls
Shema on Karaban - Karaban can shoot the 3 well, they run nice sets for him for open 3's, but does not make individual moves too often
Nelly on Adama - Going to need to send help with whoever's covering Jackson and hopefully keep Nelly out of foul trouble.
GO GAELS!!!

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I know this might not be a “hot take” but winning this weekend is huge. Because I think if we win a war in the s16(which is what it’ll be if we meet Kansas. I think we’re going to the Final 4. I don’t think I’m afraid of the other side of our bracket(Gonzaga/UCLA/TCU)

Reaction Score

Iona’s NCAA Tournament Prediction​

Round of 64

As a 13-seed, the most likely result for the Gaels is a first round loss. With that being said, they can certainly be dangerous, especially with the right matchup. Considering they will be playing very close to home against UConn, this fits the bill.

As one would expect from a Rick Pitino team, Iona is deliberate on both ends of the court. They are tough on the glass and have a top ten turnover margin in the entire country. According to Shot Quality, Iona is above the 85th percentile in passing.

As a versatile defensive bunch that loves to utilize the pick and roll to get downhill, that can get the Gaels into trouble at times. It’s a great first-round matchup against the Huskies, and although an upset isn’t expected, it shouldn’t come as a major surprise.

Reaction Score
I went to Siena and have many friends who watch a lot of MAAC games. The league was terrible this year. Iona is a good team, but they have little depth. And as many have pointed out, they PLAYED NO ONE EVEN DECENT this year. You have to take their stats with a grain of salt. If Pitino wants to press hard for 40 minutes, his team will be gassed early in the 2nd half.

Just as many our worried that Pitino has a week to prepare for us, we have a week to prepare for his press. My buddies say that is the only way Iona can win this game is to force turnovers and get easy buckets in transition. They have size, but struggle to rebound, and haven't see anyone like Sanago this year.

I think Jackson needs to be the press breaker. Getting him the ball in the middle of the floor and having him head uphill is the key.

I think they are more dangerous 12/13 seeds. But Pitino is a great coach. Wonder if the one foot out the door angle helps us here.

Reaction Score

Iona’s NCAA Tournament Prediction​

Round of 64

As a 13-seed, the most likely result for the Gaels is a first round loss. With that being said, they can certainly be dangerous, especially with the right matchup. Considering they will be playing very close to home against UConn, this fits the bill.

As one would expect from a Rick Pitino team, Iona is deliberate on both ends of the court. They are tough on the glass and have a top ten turnover margin in the entire country. According to Shot Quality, Iona is above the 85th percentile in passing.

As a versatile defensive bunch that loves to utilize the pick and roll to get downhill, that can get the Gaels into trouble at times. It’s a great first-round matchup against the Huskies, and although an upset isn’t expected, it shouldn’t come as a major surprise.
It would come as a major surprise

Reaction Score
They played Gonzaga, Duke, Florida, WVU, Cincy, and Indiana. 5/11 opponents were P6 + Cincy (high-major) + 5 cupcakes. 5/11 of our opponents were P6 with six cupackes (including the worst team in D1-LIU).

They played 4 tournament teams, we played two. They played 3 top-16 teams; we played one.

They only reason they had an additional loss is because they advanced unlike us to the BET title game.

I have now proven they played a more difficult schedule, and they swept us. They had a better season.
This is a truly hilarious thread. You have now spent pages arguing why Xavier got a 3 seed over us, hours after posting your bracketology with UConn as a 3 seed and Xavier as a 6 seed

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is 100% a game where the centers need to dominate both rims. Wear out their only decent center by the second half, get him in foul trouble, and Clingan will absolutely feast on the second unit. But Sanogo needs to be better on help D, his man isn’t a huge threat, so get over and contest some layups big guy.

Reaction Score
I really honestly don't care if the cupcake I play is ranked 200 or 400. It just doesn't matter at all to me. It might matter to the SOS you're quoting. But I will say it again: beating Alabama and Iowa State should mean something. I mean UConn football played Michigan, NC State and Syracuse last year. Very tough OOC. Maybe one of the toughest OOCs in the nation.
If it doesn't fit the @shizzle787 narrative, you'll be wrong. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
According to ESPN....4:30 Friday. The 5/12 game is at 2:00

Reaction Score
And as many have pointed out, they PLAYED NO ONE EVEN DECENT this year. You have to take their stats with a grain of salt. If Pitino wants to press hard for 40 minutes, his team will be gassed early in the 2nd half.
1000% this. It's really hard to keep pressure going all game when you match up athletically, it's damn near impossible to do when you're athletically outmatched.

Reaction Score
The method is that they have the play 4 games in one day at the site. Can’t please everyone. Tickets are $150 and it’s St Patrick’s day. Attendance will be fine.
I get that, but Drake vs Miami at 7:25 isn't exactly prime time material. Forgot it was St. Patty's Day so I suppose the early start works better for the kegs & eggs crowd of which there will be no shortage on Friday I'm sure. I'd like to see how many buses are headin up from Storrs.

Also curious to hear how MVP Arena compares to the XL Center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom