Iona | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Iona

Reaction Score
We play well we win. Game is close down the stretch Hurley at a disadvantage. He will have to be able coach on the fly better.
You have a better chance of winning 2 different state lottery’s in the same day.

Reaction Score
1678664364671.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pitino with a week to prepare is gonna be a PITA, but it’s Iona.

We should roll a MAAC team and I expect we will.

St. Mary’s is pretty good, bit still, this is an easy path to the Sweet 16 if we’re 1/2 as good as we think we are.

Reaction Score
Wait! We're playing the Gaels? On St. Patrick's Day?!
At least it's not Notre Dame.

EDIT: Another quirk - St. Mary's are the Gaels, too. Could play them if they beat VCU. Is it an omen?!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a very bad feeling about this game. Don't like Hurley vs Pitino one bit. Plus I was hoping to play a non-local team so we could have a good home crowd. That's out the window now. Not happy about this. Didn't even get a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
One of the other guys on ESPN has us playing Alabama in the final and lossing to them in the rematch.

caw

Reaction Score
Iona is a tough team to scout for UConn.

I mean they have played exactly four games against teams with a NET of 100 or better.

@ New Mexico (53) - loss by 8
@ Hofstra (86) - loss by 5
N Santa Clara (84) - loss by 10

Saint Louis (99) - win by 22

They are 20-3 against teams 200+
They are 6-1 against teams 100 to 200

They played zero teams from major conferences.

From tape I've seen.

They are actually pretty athletic for a MAAC team. They shoot a decent number of threes but nothing crazy. They have a pretty good backcourt. I would want Jackson on their SG and just pressure their PG with UConn's length, or Diarra. Both can go off, but I just prefer Jackson on the best wing player.

Downlow they have two guys bigger than 6'9 but only one has any weight to him. The taller will shoot the three on occasion.

They should not beat UConn in the halfcourt. I've only watched two games but they didn't look particularly good in halfcourt defense either. Their halfcourt defense falls apart with their off the ball defense. They have a tendency to ball watch. Newton should be able to see over their defenders.

That said they do run full court pressure pretty well and pressure the ball very well. Karaban will have to be careful inbounding the ball.

UConn doesn't beat themselves, they win.

Again this is all hard to really scout as they have no games against a team with even close to comparable talent to UConn.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
But they lost!

Doesn't that count for anything? I mean, sure, anyone could play a tough schedule, AND LOSE
We lost more games in the Big East. It goes both ways.

Reaction Score
Wow tough draw. Iona and a potential VCU match up.

Iona makes me nervous as hell.
Should be nervous with Hurley going up against a Hall of Famer that has all week to review tapes and prepare. Pitino's teams are usually really good at pressuring guards on the exterior. I will never forget that Louisville game at Gampel in Kemba's last year when Pitino's press had all of our guys completely gassed with 5 minutes left in the game. This is a tough opponent to break our recent first round history. If Jackson and Newton don't play smart, this could be a difficult game to win and advance.

Reaction Score
We should have been 3 seed. Complete disrespect of our program.
You can lose 7 conference games and exit in the second round of the BE tournament and expect a miracle.
That last road game with Creighton
was very big . Absent that , winning the Big East tournament was our only hope of a 2-3 .
Iona is tough but they’re a mid major
We will not only have length but are quicker. I don’t suspect Pitino’s thrilled with the draw
If he presses to exploit a weakness the he automatically speeds up play and that is the tempo we want and will be difficult for them to hang with us .
If i were Rick I’d want it to be a rock fight keeping it close to exploit or infamous closing weakness and perhaps steal one.
Pressing a bigger quicker team successfully is a huge long shot .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom