Iona Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iona Post Game Thread

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Anyone else get a little nervous with that Diarra/Alleyne combo out there together? Alleyne has played well the last few weeks but this isn't the time to use Diarra this much imo unless we really really need ball handling

Those guys couldn’t run a layup line against a chair. At least Alleyne made some 3s.

Reaction Score
I don’t feel like we played bad in the first half. Iona just played WAY above their heads.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. "Abysmal"? Nah. The offense was pretty good in the first half I thought even with Andre falling in love with the 3 a bit. Iona was just making everything. Perhaps the defense could have been somewhat tighter but they were just hot. When the one guy hit that shot over Sanogo from behind the backboard with the shot clock running down... how do you defend that? The second half just happened to be a clinic.

Reaction Score
Pizza Yes GIF
Big Red's future replacement.

Reaction Score
I’m concerned we don’t have the lead guard play we’ve always had. Our title teams have always had 2 guys who could handle and score. Don’t really have 1 on this team. OTOH we do have some things we’ve never had before…
We don't and it will probably be our undoing if/when we lose but Kansas didn't have it last year either and they won the whole thing.

We've had a lot of dominant centers over the years but we've never had 2 of them at the same time like we do now.

We just have to look at how Kansas did it last year, great defense and timely scoring from a lot of different weapons. I think we'll all be fine with a sweet 16 but we do have the horses to make a real run.

Reaction Score
The lack of turnovers is a promising sign going forward. Turnovers were supposed to be our biggest concern but we had no issues there vs. a Pitino team.
Not to nitpick, but I’ll knitpick; seems as though Jackson throws at least one mind numbingly bad pass each game. He had one in the first half that was picked off for an easy bucket by Iona. Other than that I thought he had a fine game.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Against a pressure team we killed the press with dunks and turned the ball over, what 8 times? 24 assists on 32 FG? Sanogo and Hawkins played like you'd expect in the second half. We may not have the lead guard we'd like, but there are a lot of weapons.. I'm pretty sure after this performance we won't see as much full court pressure, that was awsome breaking the press.

Reaction Score
Shout out to Joey and Alleyne. Both have been quietly hot from 3 for a few weeks

Reaction Score
Against a pressure team we killed the press with dunks and turned the ball over, what 8 times? 24 assists on 32 FG? Sanogo and Hawkins played like you'd expect in the second half. We may not have the lead guard we'd like, but there are a lot of weapons.. I'm pretty sure after this performance we won't see as much full court pressure, that was awsome breaking the press.
Underrated part of the game. Pitino more or less gave up on the press after a few minutes in the first half because UConn was shredding it over and over again. Got lost in the mix because Iona was red hot in the first half and went in with a lead

You could tell the players had a plan A and B depending on how Iona set up the press. That’s good coaching right there

Reaction Score
Abysmal first half by players, coaches, managers, and the water boy.

Excellent adjustments (on defense especially) and Pitino and co. couldn't handle it. On to the next one.
I thought the first half was pretty good. Iona came out on fFIRE making 4 out of 5 threes, and a bunch of mid ranger jumpers. UConn stayed in the game by shooting decent, and breaking the Iona press and dunking time and time again. They did such a good job breaking the press Iona was afraid to keep doing it.

Iona probably played their best half of the season that first half, and we were only down 2. We also weathered some nerves by Jordan Hawkins and a 0 point half from our leading scoring. If not for absolutely stellar play from Andre Jackson and JC, Alleyne, and Clingan off the bench we could have easily been down by 10 at the half.

Then Hawkins and Sanogo came out on fire in the second half and we played one of our best half’s of the season. Great game by all the players and coaches.

Reaction Score
Just a quick shout out to the fans that were in the building today. There were UConn fans everywhere - and it made a difference. I told my son at halftime that Iona played near perfect…and it’s only a two point game. It was just a matter of time. So much fun.
Watched from home, and you could hear them the whole game. Fantastic representation.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Not to nitpick, but I’ll knitpick; seems as though Jackson throws at least one mind numbingly bad pass each game. He had one in the first half that was picked off for an easy bucket by Iona. Other than that I thought he had a fine game.
Andre had an amazing game, flying, dishing and dunking like a highlight reel. You (and I) sat on our asses for 2 hours. When are you guys ever going to stop dinging this great kid?

Reaction Score
Held my breath every time Jackson even looked like he was thinking of shooting. Hurley must have had a word with him at halftime.
You could tell there was one time he was really wanting to shoot, but he held back and we got a nice 2 point inside instead.

Reaction Score
He had one of those, but broke the press time and time again leading to dunks which fired up the team. He saved the day in first half.

The golden state warriors would make a bunch of stupid TOS in their hey day, but would also push the pace and get lots of points with their aggressive passing.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Held my breath every time Jackson even looked like he was thinking of shooting. Hurley must have had a word with him at halftime.
Get a grip. He shot 40% from 3, had 7 assists and one of the most powerful, athletic dunks (even for him) I've ever seen. How could anyone watch tonight's game and have that observation as a takeaway? Andre is a star and a huge part of our team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom