Interview With Gerry DiNardo | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Interview With Gerry DiNardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The housing bubble eventually burst. The college football/conference realignment bubble will burst too. I haven't thought through the implications of that, but, there you go.

Reaction Score
The housing bubble eventually burst. The college football/conference realignment bubble will burst too. I haven't thought through the implications of that, but, there you go.

Once they figure out that schools that are worth 3 million in one conference, aren't worth 30 million in another because the Cable/satellite TV dynamic inevitably changed, they will all sit around, look at eachother and wonder WTF they were thinking.

pj

Reaction Score
Once they figure out that schools that are worth 3 million in one conference, aren't worth 30 million in another because the Cable/satellite TV dynamic inevitably changed, they will all sit around, look at eachother and wonder WTF they were thinking.

Yet some schools will still have 15-year $30 mn/yr contracts, and others $3 mn/year contracts.

Reaction Score
Yet some schools will still have 15-year $30 mn/yr contracts, and others $3 mn/year contracts.

Hey now, Wake Forest and WSU are worth every GD penny.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If Rutgers were still in the BE instead of being on it's way to the B1G does anyone believe that NBC's offer would be much higher than it is? I mean, think about it, the B1G product can leverage the NJ demographic better than the BE. That means that Rutgers, the institution, really has little value in and of itself. As we know, they hit the lotto just by being in the right place at the right time.

So when we talk about a program being worth x million to conference we can't judge the value of the institution by where it is now, we have to judge it by what we'd estimate the value it would be in the other conference. That's why we can't say UConn won't go to conference C because the market says they're only worth 2M. Maybe in the ACC, Uconn would be worth 17-20M. Maybe in the B1G we'd be worth 25M. In that case we'd be judged by whether we can grow into delivering the full value of the $ we'd receive. We cold easily do that in the ACC.

As many have said, we have to win football games. We have to dominate our new, little league. Forget about the dollars and just dominate and we'llbe called up by one of the big conferences.

Reaction Score
we are in a tough spot. it is not going to be easy to dominate a league with teams from Texas and Florida. I hate to sound like I'm panicking, buy it is going to be tough to compete against teams from the ACC and Big Ten in our immediate region.

if P doesn't win this year, they have to look at make a splashy hire. can UCONN in this conference attract that type of candidate?

if ever we need a dream season football this year is it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Cincy landed Tuberville somehow. Warde needs be as opportunistic as a thief with this next hire.

we are in a tough spot. it is not going to be easy to dominate a league with teams from Texas and Florida. I hate to sound like I'm panicking, buy it is going to be tough to compete against teams from the ACC and Big Ten in our immediate region.

if P doesn't win this year, they have to look at make a splashy hire. can UCONN in this conference attract that type of candidate?

if ever we need a dream season football this year is it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
While I think Frank overweights the importance of a Florida State, he's spot-on with most everything else.

I can appreciate that our current situation sucks so freaking hard that some confirmation bias is good to keep us off the ledge, but the Big Ten is heading south, not north.

I wish that were not the case and if the Big Ten every really expanded past 18 or so, or if they truly cannot split teams off of the ACC, maybe there's a light. But there's nothing now.

"Keep us off the ledge..."? I'm just hoping to get both feet back on the ledge.

I don't consider UConn to be a foray north for the B1G. It's strengthening the foothold in a region where it's recently staked a claim. If my target is New England and I have locations in CT, MA, and RI, NH isn't a move north. It's a fortifying move in existing territory.

Coveting is not the same as a solid plan to acquire. I can understand the B1G's desire for North Carolina and the southeast coast. What I can't see is any immediate path to get there that has a likely chance for success. If North Carolina is such a prize for the B1G, then surely it's pretty highly valued by the SEC as well. If the B1G worries that it can't market itself strongly in NYC and the northeast because of competition from pro sports, what makes them think they can accomplish it in North Carolina against the SEC and acc? Why does anybody think the SEC will simply cede the University of North Carolina to its biggest competitor? If the B1G sees the South Atlantic coast as its salvation from a slow, lingering starvation from minimal or negative growth, why won't the boys in Chapel Hill smell the same sense of concern and opt for the more certain viability of the SEC? What are the B1G's plans then?

If the B1G is determined to contest the South Atlantic, why wouldn't the SEC make a play for the North Atlantic? Who in a position of strenght fights all the battles on its own turf? Maybe its time to revisit HFD's SEC overtures. We're already playing in Florida and Kentucky. Soon we'll be visiting Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas on a regular basis. How big a leap is it for us to embrace SEC land? I can't think of anything more likely to expose any B1G interest in us than a few credible headlines saying "SEC in Talks with UConn."

Reaction Score
The vast majority of university presidents are far out of their depths when it comes to athletics. They don't watch them, have no real sense of the fanbases, nor how recruiting and region relates to wins and losses. The athletic budget is tiny compared to the budget they oversee, and the political pressures on sports are huge (i.e. politicians, boards of trustees, boosters, alumni). What is the path of least resistance? Going along with the groups that wield some power over you. There is no real consideration of the future here. Presidents are short-termers (5-10 years) guided by ADs whose job is to paint an optimistic (UNREALISTIC) picture of their own prowess in moving the school to the "next level."

The conference commissioners may indeed have some vision, but a lot of them think like CEOs who are ever interested in increasing the margins and profitability, until the natural lifecycle peters out, and they jump with their golden parachutes. It happened with Dave Gavitt. It may happen with Delany and Slive. Swofford and the BE guys presided over ill thought decisions already.

In other words, no one involved in making decisions really has the incentive to make the proper well-considered ones, and certainly not the university presidents, who would be truly shocked to learn their MAC team doesn't stand a chance in hell of ever being invited to the B1G. No one tells them this, and they don't know it, because they don't watch, and even if they did, they would hardly buck their bosses and risk their power over 95% of university operations to make a stand or a point about the folly of pumping up the 5%.

In short, bad decisions WILL be made.

Reaction Score
Let me clarify since Rutgers fan wants to play semantics. CT absolutely has a solid NY draw, as SNY ratings show. In basketball- it's unquestionable. In football - at worst UConn is on par with Rutgers. BC is outright laughable and Syracuse is still good for a chuckle.

Now in NJ- yes, obviously Rutgers will draw more. Happy? I mean, that should be obvious. But lots of kids from NJ go to UConn. It's a fact. Again, not as many as go to Rutgers, for obvious reasons, but it's a fact. SNY airs UConn games in NJ. There's a reason. Anecdotally, my whole family is in Northern Jersey and there is ZERO interest in Rutgers. Straight up apathy.

You say at worst, UCONN is as popular in NY as Rutgers. Yet you have nothing to back that up. Have you been asked by the Yankees to play a regular season game at Yankee Stadium? Has the Empire State Building been lit up for you after a big win?

If you have family in North Jersey, then you know your football gets NO local news coverage...unless it happens to be in a week they are playing Rutgers.

And lots of kids DON't go to UCONN. a few do each year...but that's it. Just a handful each year. That is not LOTS. NJ probably sends 20 times more kids to Pennsylvania, which is the number one destination ste for outgoing NJ students(Penn State, Pitt, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, West Chester, etc all have significant NJ alumni bases) then it does to Connecticut. Maybe even more than 20 times.

Rutgers ALWAYS leads college football coverage on the local NYC channels. ALWAYS. If Syracuse plays in a big game, they're usually next...followed by the local teams like Army and Columbia. UCONN football is simply not covered.

If you had fans in NY than you would be able to move the meter when UCONN plays in ESPN, yet you don't. Not even one bit. RU not only has great ratings when it plays on SNY...and has tons of programming, like pre-game and post game shows...etc....but we have also played in 9 out of the 10 top rated football games on ESPN and ESPN 2 in the NYC DMA.

UCONN has appeared in ZERO of the top 10 games in the NYC DMA.

In NJ, you have a few kids go to UCONN. SO what? The state of Connecticut is like the number 3 feeder state to Rutgers (after NY and PA) for students....but that doesn't mean that the state of Connecticut cares a lick about Rutgers, despite being home to a Rutgers alumni base. It doesn't. Likewise, the State of NJ doesn't care a lick about UCONN either, despite there being a tiny UCONN alumni base in the state.

To say NJ cares about Connecticut because UCONN appears on SNY which airs in NJ is laughably weak.
I guess the state of Connectict cares about Rutgers than...since you're also watching Rutgers on SNY.

Just flawed logic.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Having had the chance to have been walked through real, live numbers, I'm going to poke some holes in the Rutgers' kid.

Rutgers ratings in New York City have little to do with New York and much to do with the fact that for the purposes of that rating, most of the state of New Jersey is included. Only a Rutgers' fan would celebrate the fact that they receive ratings in their own market.

You know who else gets ratings in their home market? Everyone everywhere. It also bears mention that the NYC DMA isn't even in ESPN's top 30 markets for college football - so, you know, yay, Rutgers.

Rutgers never "leads" New York news coverage - never. I can't roll that enough - never, ever, never.

Somewhere out on the net, there is a common census map that will back this up...New York City, to the extent it cares, is broken up. Rutgers does relatively well, UConn does relatively well, Notre Dame doesn't do as well as you'd think, Penn State and Syracuse draw their alums and no one else.

Lesson here for you, buggs, is first, don't talk out of your ass. Second, you probably just shouldn't talk - you seem kinda dim.

Reaction Score
You say at worst, UCONN is as popular in NY as Rutgers. Yet you have nothing to back that up. Have you been asked by the Yankees to play a regular season game at Yankee Stadium? Has the Empire State Building been lit up for you after a big win?

If you have family in North Jersey, then you know your football gets NO local news coverage...unless it happens to be in a week they are playing Rutgers.

And lots of kids DON't go to UCONN. a few do each year...but that's it. Just a handful each year. That is not LOTS. NJ probably sends 20 times more kids to Pennsylvania, which is the number one destination ste for outgoing NJ students(Penn State, Pitt, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, West Chester, etc all have significant NJ alumni bases) then it does to Connecticut. Maybe even more than 20 times.

Rutgers ALWAYS leads college football coverage on the local NYC channels. ALWAYS. If Syracuse plays in a big game, they're usually next...followed by the local teams like Army and Columbia. UCONN football is simply not covered.

If you had fans in NY than you would be able to move the meter when UCONN plays in ESPN, yet you don't. Not even one bit. RU not only has great ratings when it plays on SNY...and has tons of programming, like pre-game and post game shows...etc....but we have also played in 9 out of the 10 top rated football games on ESPN and ESPN 2 in the NYC DMA.

In NJ, you have a few kids go to UCONN. SO what? The state of Connecticut is like the number 3 feeder state to Rutgers (after NY and PA) for students....but that doesn't mean that the state of Connecticut cares a lick about Rutgers, despite being home to a Rutgers alumni base. It doesn't. Likewise, the State of NJ doesn't care a lick about UCONN either, despite there being a tiny UCONN alumni base in the state.

To say NJ cares about Connecticut because UCONN appears on SNY which airs in NJ is laughably weak.
I guess the state of Connectict cares about Rutgers than...since you're also watching Rutgers on SNY.

Just flawed logic.

True or false - uconn basketball is more covered and followed in NY and NYC than Rutgers football? Maybe we can have a reasonable discourse depending upon your answer to this question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what branding issues the Big Ten has - everyone should be so lucky as to have the Big Ten's problems.

I think our fan base is just worn out right now. We've taken a steady stream of body shots and I think the conference stuff has been a much bigger drag than we might think.

It might take a couple of years to overcome that.
Or one great season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Just flawed logic.
A few quick points:

1. The UConn woman's team has better SNY coverage than any Rutgers team, men or women. Think about that before you go puffing your chest out in this neighborhood about your SNY coverage.

2. It is extraordinarily easy to find UConn flags and gear in North Jersey. I see them pretty much every weekend. You rarely see Rutgers flags flying in NJ. You'd never see one in CT and there Husky gear and flags are ubiquitous there.

3. I am often at AUU basketball in NJ tournaments. There are always one or more teams named the Huskies. I've yet to see one named the Knights.

4. I was at the RU/UConn game last night. Connecticut colors were pretty prominent at this game at the RAC.

5. You have not had relevant Men's basketball team since, when, the bicentennial?

The depth of fans and loyalty isn't even close. What NJ does have going for it is that it is incredibly densely populated. While that does make the quality of life pretty crappy in places like Middlesex/Essex counties, it makes for very good ratings because even middling viewership over such a teaming mass of humanity means eyeballs on the screen. The fact that that NJ does not have its own DMA (and really the Newark DMA, who'd care? Trenton? Yawn. Paterson and or Camden? lol) and instead is ignored as a state and divvied up between NY and Philly means that RU will seem to "draw in these cities' DMA even though they are just bringing a tiny portion of the NJ population and then only during good years.

That said, you guys got the golden ticket. Your B1G membership will, I believe, drive your athletic programs and your university as whole to new heights. You really ought to be pleased about that. So get over your inferiority complex and stop haunting other boards, waiting for validation that you won't get. In the end you are still just Rutgers, at least for the time being.

Reaction Score
A few quick points:

1. The UConn woman's team has better SNY coverage than any Rutgers team, men or women. Think about that before you go puffing your chest out in this neighborhood about your SNY coverage.

A few years ago Rutgers banned ticket sales to women's games at the RAC to UConn fans so they wouldn't be embarrassed on their home court. Can't remember the details...Nan probably does.

Full disclosure: I'm a Rutgers alum so I have no interest in trashing them. Also a Maryland alum so I need UConn in the B1G for the trifecta.

Reaction Score
This kind of post from a visitor feels like someone coming over to rub salt in a raw wound. Real small man stuff. The kid in the school yard who only picks a fight against another kid whose already down.

And I know it has nothing to do with CR, but for god sake Rutgers, win something.....anything....I don't care what it is.....try javeline catching for all I care. But, christ......talk about an athletic program with absolutely no success at anything and a fan base that is appearantly oblivious to that very telling fact.

You know what Bugs......FO!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks to Frank for being more patient about UNC and a la carte cable than I am.

The idea that the Big 10 wouldn't salivate over Carolina is impossible to comprehend. They are the perfect school for the Big 10 after Notre Dame.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They have major issues with their football brand. The center of gravity in college football has shifted to the south and the west. That's why they need to expand southward and not into an area where people don't particularly care for college football.

They don't have a brand issue. They have a talent issue.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Full disclosure: I'm a Rutgers alum so I have no interest in trashing them. Also a Maryland alum so I need UConn in the B1G for the trifecta.

I don't know what to say.

I think that maybe we need to throw you in a volcano or something. It's too perfect.

It just seems that God has sent you to us for a reason and that reason might involve a volcano and some sort of sacrifice. Maybe you're here to help us get rid of this bad juju?

Rest assured, if this works, we will remember you and speak of you often.

(If it doesn't, if we ever mention you, it'll tell people that we have no idea why you jumped into the volcano.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, and that's because of the brand issue.

I think it's a demographic issue. The players in the upper midwest just aren't as good or as plentiful as the South. So an Ohio State or a Michigan can take all the players and compete but it leaves the rest of the league barren.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While I think Frank overweights the importance of a Florida State, he's spot-on with most everything else.

I can appreciate that our current situation sucks so freaking hard that some confirmation bias is good to keep us off the ledge, but the Big Ten is heading south, not north.

I wish that were not the case and if the Big Ten every really expanded past 18 or so, or if they truly cannot split teams off of the ACC, maybe there's a light. But there's nothing now.

I stand by my assertion that the Big 10 will add UConn, Syracuse and/or Boston College before it would add GTech or FSU. With the SEC Network rolling out, the Big 10 has no chance to compete for Cable real estate in the South. No state with an SEC school will pay anywhere near full carriage for the BTN. Yes, the southern markets are growing, but there is already an 800 pound gorilla there that doesn't play nice with others. The competition for cable real estate in the south is already over, and the SEC Network hasn't even started up yet.

If Georgia was playing Kentucky in football, and a ranked GTech was playing a ranked Ohio State, Georgia/Kentucky would double up GTech/tOSU in ratings in the state of Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom