Interview With Gerry DiNardo | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Interview With Gerry DiNardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it's a demographic issue. The players in the upper midwest just aren't as good or as plentiful as the South. So an Ohio State or a Michigan can take all the players and compete but it leaves the rest of the league barren.

It's not a demographic issue. There are players all over. It is a matter of the Big 10 schools are not willing to do what the SEC schools do to get and keep players.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not a demographic issue. There are players all over. It is a matter of the Big 10 schools are not willing to do what the SEC schools do to get and keep players.

Seriously you are joking right? You can google 'where do college football players come from' and look at all the pretty maps and see where players come from? You are being intentionally dim?

Reaction Score
I don't know what to say.

I think that maybe we need to throw you in a volcano or something. It's too perfect.

It just seems that God has sent you to us for a reason and that reason might involve a volcano and some sort of sacrifice. Maybe you're here to help us get rid of this bad juju?

Rest assured, if this works, we will remember you and speak of you often.

(If it doesn't, if we ever mention you, it'll tell people that we have no idea why you jumped into the volcano.)

I've always wanted to see the inside of a volcano.

Reaction Score
I stand by my assertion that the Big 10 will add UConn, Syracuse and/or Boston College before it would add GTech or FSU. With the SEC Network rolling out, the Big 10 has no chance to compete for Cable real estate in the South. No state with an SEC school will pay anywhere near full carriage for the BTN. Yes, the southern markets are growing, but there is already an 800 pound gorilla there that doesn't play nice with others. The competition for cable real estate in the south is already over, and the SEC Network hasn't even started up yet.

If Georgia was playing Kentucky in football, and a ranked GTech was playing a ranked Ohio State, Georgia/Kentucky would double up GTech/tOSU in ratings in the state of Georgia.

Your first sentence is tantamount to saying " the Big 10 will add UConn before it would add GTech or FSU." The rest of the post makes the case that, no matter how much the B1G wants the South Atlantic, it ain't getting it. That puts UNC is in the same category as GTech and FSU.

The "doable" play (and perhaps the only play) for the B1G is to concentrate on the northeast. Together with their existing market that encompasses nearly 40% of the entire nation's population. Taming that should buy them a couple of decades of solid growth.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your first sentence is tantamount to saying " the Big 10 will add UConn before it would add GTech or FSU." The rest of the post makes the case that, no matter how much the B1G wants the South Atlantic, it ain't getting it. That puts UNC is in the same category as GTech and FSU.

The "doable" play (and perhaps the only play) for the B1G is to concentrate on the northeast. Together with their existing market that encompasses nearly 40% of the entire nation's population. Taming that should buy them a couple of decades of solid growth.

UNC and UVa are a slightly different situation in that they are the #1 programs in their respective markets. I do not see the Big 10 taking the #2 school in a market, no matter how big that market looks. You could make the case that Florida State is a lot more attractive than Georgia Tech because FSU has a higher profile and better market. The problem for the B1G is not just the school itself, but the schedule. FSU vs. Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana and Illinois is just not going to generate much excitement when Florida is playing Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee on consecutive weekends.

And the BTN knows that even if it adds UVa and UNC, the SEC could add Virginia Tech and NC State, and while the BTN could compete on those markets, it would be a battle. Plus, the ACC will still be in the southern states no matter what happens, so there is even more competition in those markets. If, on the other hand, the BTN adds two northeastern schools, there is no competition.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UNC and UVa are a slightly different situation in that they are the #1 programs in their respective markets. I do not see the Big 10 taking the #2 school in a market, no matter how big that market looks. You could make the case that Florida State is a lot more attractive than Georgia Tech because FSU has a higher profile and better market. The problem for the B1G is not just the school itself, but the schedule. FSU vs. Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana and Illinois is just not going to generate much excitement when Florida is playing Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee on consecutive weekends.

And the BTN knows that even if it adds UVa and UNC, the SEC could add Virginia Tech and NC State, and while the BTN could compete on those markets, it would be a battle. Plus, the ACC will still be in the southern states no matter what happens, so there is even more competition in those markets. If, on the other hand, the BTN adds two northeastern schools, there is no competition.

Completely self serving, yet logical. I don't think the B1G is getting UNC. And I think that means either the ACC surviving or merging with the Big 12. If 20 is the new 12 many things are possible. UNC and VT to the SEC, UVA to the B1G with GT leaves 10 teams to merge with the Big 12. Because FSU vs OU will outdraw Florida Kentucky.

pj

Reaction Score
I stand by my assertion that the Big 10 will add UConn, Syracuse and/or Boston College before it would add GTech or FSU. With the SEC Network rolling out, the Big 10 has no chance to compete for Cable real estate in the South. No state with an SEC school will pay anywhere near full carriage for the BTN. Yes, the southern markets are growing, but there is already an 800 pound gorilla there that doesn't play nice with others. The competition for cable real estate in the south is already over, and the SEC Network hasn't even started up yet.

If Georgia was playing Kentucky in football, and a ranked GTech was playing a ranked Ohio State, Georgia/Kentucky would double up GTech/tOSU in ratings in the state of Georgia.

I see your logic:
  • UConn should give up football because it is over.
  • The B1G should give up on the southeast because it is over.
  • The US should surrender in WWII because it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Reaction Score
Seriously you are joking right? You can google 'where do college football players come from' and look at all the pretty maps and see where players come from? You are being intentionally dim?

No, it's not intentional.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I've always wanted to see the inside of a volcano.

We're gonna need a few thousand cases of orange soda, first.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think it's a demographic issue. The players in the upper midwest just aren't as good or as plentiful as the South. So an Ohio State or a Michigan can take all the players and compete but it leaves the rest of the league barren.

Maybe it has a lot to do with players starting kindergarten at the age of 7 down south.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're gonna need a few thousand cases of orange soda, first.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Might as well get a few thousand cases of mentos at the same time. You know save on the delivery charges. Next we'll need a lot, and I mean a lot, of papier-mâché.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Uh, Penn St and Ohio St. say hello.

Yes, the B1G schools can go as low and cheat as much as any SEC school. As do USC, UNC and Miami.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
And the BTN knows that even if it adds UVa and UNC, the SEC could add Virginia Tech and NC State, and while the BTN could compete on those markets, it would be a battle.

Advertising is the hidden gem in the BiG Network. The BiG share of the Network profits in 2011 were $80 million with advertising contributing $30 million to revenues. You want UNC and UVA for advertising. The wealth is East Side in those two states. 2012 figures aren't out yet but estimates are $40 million plus from advertising this year.

As for NYC, UConn is on the Mets channel so that's in the regular tier. Then make a choice; Rutgers or SU? Which would you move to the regular tier? ACC or BiG? The answer's obvious. The ACC will get a couple mil from a regional to carry their games as NECN does in Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom