International players Hasson, Roumoglou relishing NCAA tourney experience | The Boneyard

International players Hasson, Roumoglou relishing NCAA tourney experience

Reaction Score
We don't hear much about these 2 so I thought it was interesting to hear what they think. Figured I'd post since it's something different. Will be interesting to see if they stay at UConn and contribute at some point.

“Both guys really add to our culture,” Hurley said. “We were at 11 scholarships and I think we anticipated maybe being at 12 scholarships. We had one transfer, I think, that surprised us. I think the rest we had a pretty good sense they were going.

“So, we were really trying to find some guys that would help us practice and would fit in well with the culture. Especially Apostolos, it was great to get him in there. He's from Greece, but he acts like he could pass for North Jersey.”

Alternate free access:

International players Hasson, Roumoglou relishing NCAA tourney experience with Huskies

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I expect Apostolos to be a contributor to this team next year and a significant piece by his junior season.

I know his minutes have been very limited, but it's telling that he is always the first guy off the bench in a blowout.

He's 6'7" and comes in in garbage time and becomes the "garbage time point guard" despite being sized more like a SF. He also has the "professional" experience from Greece.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Have we heard anything about how they are performing in practice?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I expect Apostolos to be a contributor to this team next year and a significant piece by his junior season.

I know his minutes have been very limited, but it's telling that he is always the first guy off the bench in a blowout.

He's 6'7" and comes in in garbage time and becomes the "garbage time point guard" despite being sized more like a SF. He also has the "professional" experience from Greece.
Reading between the lines his comments and Hurleys comments give that indication. These comments in particular:

"The basketball here is pretty much the same as I was playing in my country," Roumoglou said. "The defensive skills are pretty close to what they are in Greece. So, it was pretty easy for me. I'm waiting. I'm a freshman right now, so I'm waiting for my time to come in and play."

“So, we were really trying to find some guys that would help us practice and would fit in well with the culture. Especially Apostolos, it was great to get him in there. He's from Greece, but he acts like he could pass for North Jersey.”

Also this comment bears out @BFieldHusky statement that the only hard feeling on transfers out of the program was Akok:

Hurley said. “We were at 11 scholarships and I think we anticipated maybe being at 12 scholarships. We had one transfer, I think, that surprised us. I think the rest we had a pretty good sense they were going.

Reaction Score
Reading between the lines his comments and Hurleys comments give that indication. These comments in particular:

"The basketball here is pretty much the same as I was playing in my country," Roumoglou said. "The defensive skills are pretty close to what they are in Greece. So, it was pretty easy for me. I'm waiting. I'm a freshman right now, so I'm waiting for my time to come in and play."

Also this comment bears out @BFieldHusky statement that the only hard feeling on transfers out of the program was Akok:

Hurley said. “We were at 11 scholarships and I think we anticipated maybe being at 12 scholarships. We had one transfer, I think, that surprised us. I think the rest we had a pretty good sense they were going.
I thought the CFJ transfer was the surprise one but what the heck do I know. It was the one that surprised me the most for sure. Cooley running covert ops on our players that snake.

Reaction Score

It was CJF. Although Cooley also contacted Akok during the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love hearing from these two guys. I think we tend to forget them. We can all be pretty sure now that Springs isn't going to play, but these guys? Who knows. Could become contributors. I wonder if the quotes are pre-Vegas, because if they think thinks are "big" based on Albany, their minds are about to be blown.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
These don’t sound like kids who have one foot out the door. They both seem to understand why they can’t see the court this year. Could both be nice rotation pieces if they develop nicely over the off season.

Reaction Score
These 2 guys are the biggest mystery to me. Did we bring them in with hopes of them being contributors are some point? Or did we just need practice bodies?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
These 2 guys are the biggest mystery to me. Did we bring them in with hopes of them being contributors are some point? Or did we just need practice bodies?

The history of a guy like Springs might tell you we’ll see more of a practice player role for these two if they choose to stick around but I also think they have more talent than being relegated to that role (Apostolos in particular). But we also have a large class coming in plus a guy like Samson who clearly will be seeing the floor next year so you just don’t know.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I doubt we needed practice bodies that badly that we would burn a scholarship, if they didn’t think either could one day develop into a contributor. Especially since we have a few “preferred” walk-on on the team to help in practice.

I think Hurley going to start looking at international players as cornerstone 4 year culture guys given that they are less likely to transfer for a quick bag / Hurley has an eye for spotting under-recruited talent.

Reaction Score
If Hasson doesn't score a point before season's end, he'll be the first scholarship player with a scoreless season since Mandeldove in 08-09.
Which is still amazing, given that Mandeldove played regularly as a true frosh fighting Thabeet, Kelly and Edwards for playing time.

Reaction Score
Which is still amazing, given that Mandeldove played regularly as a true frosh fighting Thabeet, Kelly and Edwards for playing time.
Ben Eaves almost did it too, but he scored 1 point in 06-07.

Reaction Score
Versus Iona I saw Hurley lash out Apostolos which I was a little surprised by. Something about spacing, his defense, or getting the ball in. It’s nice seeing coach still engaged up 15 or 20 when the fresh meat get in there.

Hoping our international players do get a chance to highlight their stuff. I feel like I’ve seen Apostolos or Yarin drive to the hoop at the end of games for a throw down. Hard to do when ur on the bench all game. Rooting for them both!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm happy for them, but I'm relishing this experience too :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom