Interim UCONN Recruiting Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interim UCONN Recruiting Update

Reaction Score
sorry but you have to leave room for DeBerry who I believe is better then the both of them and she is a UConn lean for 2021
No problem. ONO will be a senior and she'll need a backup.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
re skill level...don't see them as mutually exclusive. But, do you really believe Miss State without McCowan, or Baylor without Griner, would have gotten close to the Sweet 16, not to mention the WCBB Championship game, without them?
Definitely not mutually exclusive skill and height. My point is that the skill set is vastly more important-once you have adequate size. McCowan was only one of several larger players that Tuck handled in her last season. The others included : Jessica Shepard- Nebraska, Breanna Lewis-Kansas State, Brionna Jones-Maryland, Aliana Coates- South Carolina, & Ruth Hamblin-Oregon State.
To sort of answer your question UCONN doesn't lose to Mississippi State with Tuck in the lineup.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Definitely not mutually exclusive skill and height. My point is that the skill set is vastly more important-once you have adequate size. McCowan was only one of several larger players that Tuck handled in her last season. The others included : Jessica Shepard- Nebraska, Breanna Lewis-Kansas State, Brionna Jones-Maryland, Aliana Coates- South Carolina, & Ruth Hamblin-Oregon State.
To sort of answer your question UCONN doesn't lose to Mississippi State with Tuck in the lineup.

Tuck knew how to utilize her body - in both offensive and defensive positioning - better than almost anyone I can think of in recent years at UCONN. Overall, she was the most fundamentally sound player I've had the pleasure of watching at UCONN, which goes back to Maya's freshman year. (I know many here on the BY have been fans much longer than that.) I did watch some of the great 2002 team's wins, and DT's 2003-04 FF runs, but not enough to judge who if any of those players might have been more sound than Morgan.

Reaction Score
You are so right. Tuck or even Steff in the lineup--a Win!! Thanks.

Reaction Score
She does look somewhat familiar. We'll have to get her in the right shade of blue (American Flag) and a respectable uniform number. No hurry, we have almost two full years for that. Can't be National Treasure without American flag blue in your uniform.
Serious question: How long has it been since MN has had a top 10 prospect in girls basketball.
Oh, say can you see, by the dawns early light ! You got my American fever running high with this posting. I salute YOU..

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Had the pleasure of meeting Morgan on the street, in Dallas, the morning of the semi final. I thanked her for her years of entertainment and play at UConn and that we really needed her to play that last year of eligibility. She said that the team had done quite well without her and I replied by saying she was correct, however shorthanded. Then that evening, we know what happened. I often wondered how she felt about that loss.

I was also NOT surprised that she is as beautiful a young woman up close and personal, as she is on court. Loved her then and wish her nothing but success. She had some very difficult injuries to overcome (or should I say deal with) and I completely understand her wanting to play in the WNBA. My problem is that I want what is best for these young ladies but with my permission, along the way.

Reaction Score
It not about the height, it about the skill level. Give me 6'2" with Morgan Tuck skill set and you might be able to get some things done in the post.
Give me 6'5" with Morgan's, Stewie's, Lou's, ect. skill set and we will all be happy.

Reaction Score
I think having a twin towers option is really important. I am hoping for a Boston-ONO combo to be the next twin towers at UConn.

Reaction Score
I strongly dislike the "twin towers" offense. It is attractive from a fan standpoint but it is not viable as a dynamic offensive strategy.

The Gamecocks used Wilson/Coates early on but they were a much better team with just one of the towers on the floor at a time. They won the National Championship when Coates missed the NCAA's with an injury.

The only exception I can think of in WBB is Baylor's Brown/Cox tandem. But I think that is because Cox is really coming into her own as a tall forward. In fact I think Lauren Cox could make a run at Player of the year.

Reaction Score
Tuck knew how to utilize her body - in both offensive and defensive positioning - better than almost anyone I can think of in recent years at UCONN. Overall, she was the most fundamentally sound player I've had the pleasure of watching at UCONN, which goes back to Maya's freshman year. (I know many here on the BY have been fans much longer than that.) I did watch some of the great 2002 team's wins, and DT's 2003-04 FF runs, but not enough to judge who if any of those players might have been more sound than Morgan.
There is no disputing Tuck's capabilities, and making the most of "utililizing her body", not to mention her brains...I was one of her biggest fans. But, its hard to deny what a mobile, and even somewhat capable 6'8" brings to the table. Especially, if they are "coached up". If you have any doubts, let's watch what Oregon State looks like in a couple of years.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I strongly dislike the "twin towers" offense. It is attractive from a fan standpoint but it is not viable as a dynamic offensive strategy.

The Gamecocks used Wilson/Coates early on but they were a much better team with just one of the towers on the floor at a time. They won the National Championship when Coates missed the NCAA's with an injury.

The only exception I can think of in WBB is Baylor's Brown/Cox tandem. But I think that is because Cox is really coming into her own as a tall forward. In fact I think Lauren Cox could make a run at Player of the year.

Sometimes the "twin towers" visual is a pair of tall, unathletic players planting themselves on the low post. ONO and Boston, for example, would not fit that mold. They are obviously tall, but both possess enough athleticism to be somewhat effective on the perimeter. Boston did a really nice job in the u17s hedging high post ball screens. ONO shows a nice touch facing the basket from as far as 15 feet out.

Having those two (if it comes to fruition) is appealing because of the matchup problems they would cause, the interior shot-blocking defense they would provide and the added rebounding that has been a concern of Geno's in the past few years.

HGN

Reaction Score
sorry but you have to leave room for DeBerry who I believe is better then the both of them and she is a UConn lean for 2021
Ok Charlie....I'll leave room for DeBerry. No problem. I didn't know she was a UConn lean. I thought it was just the angle I was looking at it from. I was thinking DeBerry was standing straight up with the different breezes blowing in all directions, but that The B-Y was blowing its collective breath at her towards Storrs. But if she's now 'leaning' bring her on down. We can always use a uber talented Big. Certainly enough PT with how Geno interchanges his parts between C , PF , and F....Especially against the really big teams like Baylor and Texas.......(Sort of reminds me of how he used the Dolson , Stewie , and Kia Stokes lineup together to PERFECTION a couple of years ago.)

Reaction Score
Ok Charlie....I'll leave room for DeBerry. No problem. I didn't know she was a UConn lean. I thought it was just the angle I was looking at it from. I was thinking DeBerry was standing straight up with the different breezes blowing in all directions, but that The B-Y was blowing its collective breath at her towards Storrs. But if she's now 'leaning' bring her on down. We can always use a uber talented Big. Certainly enough PT with how Geno interchanges his parts between C , PF , and F....Especially against the really big teams like Baylor and Texas..(Sort of reminds me of how he used the Dolson , Stewie , and Kia Stokes lineup together to PERFECTION a couple of years ago.)

I could be mistaken but I believe she's already been on campus and her social media has contained a number of UConn articles so I'd say there is definite interest there

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That, combined with her versatility and dedication to USA Basketball, got her a gold medal in Tenerife.

Reaction Score

I was hoping for Cox after watching her play for USA age group. She looked pretty good, but even she did poorly as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I was hoping for Cox after watching her play for USA age group. She looked pretty good, but even she did poorly as a freshman.

a bit unfair to rate her as a freshman as she had difficulty regulating her diabetes with practices and game activity in addition to some nagging injuries.............she had a much more impressive follow up year...........that said I think she will be even better after Brown graduates...........

Reaction Score
a bit unfair to rate her as a freshman as she had difficulty regulating her diabetes with practices and game activity in addition to some nagging injuries...she had a much more impressive follow up year......that said I think she will be even better after Brown graduates......
Being an OSU Fan, and watching OSU somewhat neutralize Cox & Kalani in the playoffs last year, I am a HUGE COX fan. I believe she will be a 1st round WNBA draft choice should she play at Baylor through her senior year.

Reaction Score
Cox is one of my favorites. I think at times she get's looked over because Brown. She just does so much.

I think a top 3 draft is in her future. Depends on needs and Sabrina. I can't wait to see what ONO turns into under Geno.

If Baylor gets Morris back like expected I like that we can stretch the floor better. Cox working on defending perimeter players this season. Put her in as the center with Smith at PF. Both can stretch the floor and shoot the 3.

Reaction Score
With Breana Beal joining the Gamecocks, I really don't think Haley Jones will commit to South Carolina. But I do think that we will get either Boston or Jones if not both.

Reaction Score
There is no disputing Tuck's capabilities, and making the most of "utililizing her body", not to mention her brains...I was one of her biggest fans. But, its hard to deny what a mobile, and even somewhat capable 6'8" brings to the table. Especially, if they are "coached up". If you have any doubts, let's watch what Oregon State looks like in a couple of years.
Kind of a discussion with no wrong answer. Either is great. Better yet, without getting too greedy, this is UConn so why cant we have both - i.e. 6'8" AND a Morgan Tuck like 6'2" :p

Reaction Score
Cox is one of my favorites. I think at times she get's looked over because Brown. She just does so much.

I think a top 3 draft is in her future. Depends on needs and Sabrina. I can't wait to see what ONO turns into under Geno.

If Baylor gets Morris back like expected I like that we can stretch the floor better. Cox working on defending perimeter players this season. Put her in as the center with Smith at PF. Both can stretch the floor and shoot the 3.
Dallas, as a Dallas area resident, I enjoy watching Baylor and Cox on TV. Yes, I make sure I get SNY so I can watch UConn as well. Predict Cox will be a high draft choice and with money on the line, get in better shape. Not a slight but a prediction that there is a lot of untapped upside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom