Interesting Statistic | The Boneyard

Interesting Statistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Since 2011-12, in games decided by 10+, UCONN is 107-1. In games decided by 9 points or fewer, UCONN is just 2-9. Pretty crazy to see such a sharp contrast between the two records.

Reaction Score
Geno (probably in the postgame presser) said something to the effect that UConn players are not used to be in
the close game situation so don't know how to handle them. I would think that is to be expected in sports.
How many times have you seen a golfer who has never been in contention with the lead down the stretch
of a tournament basically throw up all over himself to lose.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
ESPN this morning had another statistic along the same lines. From 2006-2014, UConn is 0-5 in overtime games against top opponents. Duke, Notre Dame, and now Stanford have all won when they have gotten to overtime against UConn.

Probably indicative of the same thing.

Reaction Score
we should do a poll, on whether it is the coach or player who cannot handle the situation..:)

Reaction Score
Since 2011-12, in games decided by 10+, UCONN is 107-1. In games decided by 9 points or fewer, UCONN is just 2-9. Pretty crazy to see such a sharp contrast between the two records.

I'm not sure what conclusions I should draw from those stats outside of the fact that UConn has blown out the vast majority of their opponents.
For a team with a 109-10 record, I would expect all the losses to be close ones. How many teams are going to blow UConn out ?

Reaction Score
Since it's a team sport, I would think it is both (coach and players), but there is one constant
through all those years, and it's not the players :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So in the past 119 games UConn has lost only one game by more than 10 points. That's really remarkable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what conclusions I should draw from those stats outside of the fact that UConn has blown out the vast majority of their opponents.
For a team with a 109-10 record, I would expect all the losses to be close ones. How many teams are going to blow UConn out ?
True, if we won all the close ones, we would have never lost.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think you are misinterpreting the statistic. It's not that the losses are mostly close, but rather that almost all the close games are losses. In all of the games decided by 9 points or fewer (wins AND losses), UConn is 2-9, meaning they lose 82% of their close games. UConn has only lost 1 game decisively in the past 3 years, which is amazing. Thus they win over 99% of the "blowouts." (By the way, "blowout" loss was just by 13 points.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How about winning about half of those games or at least one instead of none since 2011? :) Should that be a tall order?
They would just make people hate UCONN more.

I think the bigger thing to take from this stat, is that UCONN hardly ever gets blown out. Amazing really.

Reaction Score
I think you are misinterpreting the statistic. It's not that the losses are mostly close, but rather that almost all the close games are losses. In all of the games decided by 9 points or fewer (wins AND losses), UConn is 2-9, meaning they lose 82% of their close games. UConn has only lost 1 game decisively in the past 3 years, which is amazing. Thus they win over 99% of the "blowouts." (By the way, "blowout" loss was just by 13 points.)

I comprehend what you are saying. But is 11 games a sufficient sample to draw a conclusion on ?

Reaction Score
They would just make people hate UCONN more.

I think the bigger thing to take from this stat, is that UCONN hardly ever gets blown out. Amazing really.

It will be embarrassing if you get blown out with a NO.1 recruit on your team!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When we win, we win big. When we lose, we lose small. This is a problem?

Clearly there's something lacking because we don't win small. Geno needs to work on that.

Reaction Score
I think it's a relevant statistic based on how UConn acted in those close losses even if it's a small sample. It would be one thing if UConn was flat out beat in those close games. Many of the losses were decided by UConn errors/brain farts.

It easy to perform when you won the game in the first 35 minutes and team raises the white flag. But in those rare occasions a team has fought back and stayed with UConn until the very few seconds, how the coaches and players react is noteworthy. UConn usually doesn't respond very well. When they need to make the one stop (see St. John's/ND in 2012, ND in 2013, Stanford last night) or one play to win (Hartley careless TO with shot clock off racing down the court out of control in tied game in Denver, yikes on the sense of urgency on the final play last night). One shouldn't draw too many rash conclusions, but it is noteworthy.

This is noteworthy seeing there are so few teams in WCBB who have the talent and coaching to get to that final minute or OT and keep it so close. And while UConn preaches how tough their practices are and how they get put in impossible situations all the time, it's clear you can't replicate a tough tight game situation in practice. It might also be noteworthy because UConn's razor tight substitution patterns seems to suggest UConn never believes it's going to come down to the wire. A rotation of 6-7 leaves you vulnerable in late game situations to foul trouble and fatigue. Perhaps usage of Williams/Ekmark early on for a couple mins would have made no difference. But it would be nice if more than 7 players on the roster could earn the trust of the coaches to play at least a couple mins here.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, it's a Maya thing. With Maya UConn won big and small. Stewie needs to figure out how to do this.

carl adamec @CarlAdamec · 9h 9 hours ago
UConn 0-8 in games decided by 5 points or less or in OT since Maya Moore graduated. When Maya was in Storrs, UConn was 5-1 in such games

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
So, it's a Maya thing. With Maya UConn won big and small. Stewie needs to figure out how to do this.

UConn 0-8 in games decided by 5 points or less or in OT since Maya Moore graduated. When Maya was in Storrs, UConn was 5-1 in such games

Going back a bit further (and I apologize for not having stats to back this up), my memory tells me that during the Diana era, she seemed to will her team to victory in the really close or OT games.

Reaction Score
Remember in 1980 when the Soviet coach didn't pull the goalie at the end of their loss to team USA???

Think about the similarities and you'll have your answer.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I think there really might be something to this theory. No one but Maya would have won that famous DePaul game, for example. And she had a big role in the 1-point win against Griner and Sims at the Civic Center in her senior year.

Reaction Score
we should do a poll, on whether it is the coach or player who cannot handle the situation..:)
It is definitely the coach. In the last 3 seconds last night, the players had no clue. It is up to the coaches to prepare them for those situations.

As I have said for years, Geno is at best a mediocre coach in close games.

Reaction Score
It is definitely the coach. In the last 3 seconds last night, the players had no clue. It is up to the coaches to prepare them for those situations.

As I have said for years, Geno is at best a mediocre coach in close games.

our coach sucks....those 9 titles must've been all flukes:rolleyes:. Geno sucks...please give us a different coach like the one from Duke where her team is filled with All Americans but can't get passed Elite 8. Give us a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom