Interesting Iowa State Stat | The Boneyard

Interesting Iowa State Stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is impressive…..holy cow!

Good news is none of them play defense like our guys……especially Roy's teams!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is quite impressive and yes, those numbers would be impressive if they happened in a practice setting but UNC played zero defense, I don't know much about NC Central but I would be stunned if they can play defense as well as we do and Baylor (similar to UNC in this regard) wants every game to be a track meet. What I do know about Kansas is that all too often they play very soft. I can't speak of K State but I'll need someone to convince me that their defense can match ours.

Reaction Score
The only stat that is going to matter is 0 and 1 against UConn this season. They have given up an average of 82 points per game over the last 8 games. UConn is 20-1 this season when it scores over 70.

Reaction Score
The only stat that is going to matter is 0 and 1 against UConn this season. They have given up an average of 82 points per game over the last 8 games. UConn is 20-1 this season when it scores over 70.

Hopefully they're not comfortable in the 60's……...:oops:

Reaction Score

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
That looks unsustainable.

4 of their last 5 games have come with Niang playing. The last one against UNC (with so so defense) was still riding the emotional train. Now, they're about to come back down to earth.

Reaction Score
It is quite impressive and yes, those numbers would be impressive if they happened in a practice setting but UNC played zero defense, I don't know much about NC Central but I would be stunned if they can play defense as well as we do and Baylor (similar to UNC in this regard) wants every game to be a track meet. What I do know about Kansas is that all too often they play very soft. I can't speak of K State but I'll need someone to convince me that their defense can match ours.
Baylor's zone is possibly the best defense in the country right now. It hasn't been that way all season but the lat 8-9 games they have been phenominal In the conference championship game they drug the pace to nothing. K State has a solid defense but we ran them out of the building in the Big 12 tourney

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
There has to be some regression to the mean, right?

Reaction Score
Baylor's zone is possibly the best defense in the country right now. It hasn't been that way all season but the lat 8-9 games they have been phenominal In the conference championship game they drug the pace to nothing. K State has a solid defense but we ran them out of the building in the Big 12 tourney
Hmm. Thier defense must have been very bad, because, even at this stage of the year, KenPom can be pretty fluid in its rankings (ex. UConn had an offense ranked in the Top 40--played some rough games and was in the 80s, and in a few weeks is in the 50s despite those 2 Louisville clunkers), and Baylor's D is still only ranked 79th.

I haven't seen them much, so I can't say anything about other than the fact that they have athletes, and with athletes you can shut down Creighton, who was McDermott and a bunch of mid-major talent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That looks unsustainable.

So did what UConn did in 2011. Don't expect them to cool off. I don't think there is much chance of either team having any significant lead in the game in the last five minutes. It will be close. We need to hit key shots, make FTs, and rebound. No second chance points to these guys. And no stupid turnovers.

Reaction Score
Hmm. Thier defense must have been very bad, because, even at this stage of the year, KenPom can be pretty fluid in its rankings (ex. UConn had an offense ranked in the Top 40--played some rough games and was in the 80s, and in a few weeks is in the 50s despite those 2 Louisville clunkers), and Baylor's D is still only ranked 79th.

I haven't seen them much, so I can't say anything about other than the fact that they have athletes, and with athletes you can shut down Creighton, who was McDermott and a bunch of mid-major talent.
They struggled when Cherry was hurt and Scott drew is a moron. Once Cherry got healthy he went to a zone and that defense is unreal. So yes, they were up and down until about 10 games left.

Reaction Score
This will be one of the toughest defenses ISU has seen. There is no doubt about that. It will be interesting to see if ISU's spacing helps crack that defense

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sounds like we've got the law of averages on our side.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

ISU's stats can't be argued with lately. That said, one of the best ways to beat a zone is to hit outside shots. If you are doing that, and to ISU's credit they were, then you shouldn't have to many problems.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Naz Long, Kane and unfortunately Niang are simply clutch. I would guess they are the biggest contributors to those %'s
You are right.

Took a look at the play-by-plays, and here's how I think it breaks down, player by player in last 5 minutes from last 5 games:

Naz Long: 7-7 (5-5 from 3)
Melvin Ejim: 7-8 (1-1 from 3)
Georges Niang: 4-4
DeAndre Kane: 2-3
Dustin Hogure: 2-3 (0-1 from 3)
Monte Morris: 1-2 (1-1 from 3)
Matt Thomas: 1-1 (1-1 from 3)

Of the 24 made buckets, there were 14 assists: 7 from Kane, 3 from Niang, 2 from Ejim, and 2 from Morris.

Reaction Score
You are right.

Took a look at the play-by-plays, and here's how I think it breaks down, player by player in last 5 minutes from last 5 games:

Naz Long: 7-7 (5-5 from 3)
Melvin Ejim: 7-8 (1-1 from 3)
Georges Niang: 4-4
DeAndre Kane: 2-3
Dustin Hogure: 2-3 (0-1 from 3)
Monte Morris: 1-2 (1-1 from 3)
Matt Thomas: 1-1 (1-1 from 3)

Of the 24 made buckets, there were 14 assists: 7 from Kane, 3 from Niang, 2 from Ejim, and 2 from Morris.
Long is shooting 67% from three since the Big 12 tourney started. And the assists are why ISU fans really love this team. These guys flat out share the ball and are happier giving the assist than the bucket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom