Interesting Hurley Quote On Charleston Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Hurley Quote On Charleston Tournament

Reaction Score
Interesting. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's misquoted, but this seems like bad mojo to dismiss a couple of decent wins.

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard of motivating your players through the media?

Yes, it's more typically done at the pro level and not to college kids, but he's basically saying "I'm telling everyone that you haven't accomplished ____ and still have a ton to prove".
Definitely needed to bring the guys back to Earth, especially after the last two games. Their heads were getting a little too big with all they’ve accomplished this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks SS for this.

interesting tidbit in there about Gaffney aggravating his ankle which limited his minutes 2nd half. Hopefully only a minor issue that doesn’t significantly impact his play for too many games going forward...
Same ankle as the one he injured this summer?

<<<nope,notthinkingwe’redoomedoranything>>>

Reaction Score

Not that he’s wrong and I don’t have video/context for it, but pretty crazy to hear him say this. Sounds pretty ridiculous/defeatist attitude if you ask me.

Just seeing this quote and I hate it. Hurley was hyping up Buffalo after they beat them and talking about how we looked against good teams, he had the team carrying around a picture of the AAC trophy and now this?

Reaction Score
You have to give DH credit for being honest with himself and the media. He knows this team better than we all do. What’s he going to get by fabricating?

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. I believe RJ Cole is our best player today. I watched him play with the guys 3 times this summer. He’s our best player. He’s also completely in control of everyone around him.
He very well could be our best player but it’s also risky to assume his success at Howard will translate to the high major level. Averaging 25 at Howard doesn’t automatically mean he’ll put up 15+ here. But Cole seems to have great leadership qualities

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Same ankle as the one he injured this summer?

<<<nope,notthinkingwe’redoomedoranything>>>

New regime and we’re still recruiting injury-prone players? Yikes.

Reaction Score
Although I've found some of his moves questionable I am in no way a Hurley detractor but that quote is a tough look, no two ways about it.
With all this, added with the constant mention of needing better players both here and by Hurley in the media, you may have to consider that the players he didn’t recruit may be feeling pretty deflated. I mean when the new coach comes in and says these guys suck, reality or no positive things can happen

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I appreciate his honesty. What he said has proven to be true. He knew back then the problems with the team and determined the were not going away. The problems, Carlton is too soft, Al is infatuated with the sound of a bouncing ball, CV wants to be Kemba instead of CV, Polly can't score off the bounce, Sid has limited BBIQ and little drive to improve, Whalley is undersized with limited skills, Akok, Gaff, and Bouk are too physically immature to provide many minutes. He did have BA who figures to be a serviceable backup guard. really not much on the shelf for this year.

Next year some of the issues go away, Akok, Gaff, and Bouk get bigger. Cole and Springs could be upgrades after a year of practice and conditioning. Dre and Javonte Brown Ferguson show up (although Javonte Brown Ferguson is a project he may get minutes.) And perhaps there is a surprise or two as @Chief00 keeps hinting. The heart of the team will be better coached, more physical, and more entrenched into the system providing in game cohesion.

I'm excited for the future. It's still my opinion that as fans/spectators in all of this, we won't really have a grasp on the program until Akok, Bouk, and Gaff are juniors.

Reaction Score
I appreciate his honesty. What he said has proven to be true. He knew back then the problems with the team and determined the were not going away. The problems, Carlton is too soft, Al is infatuated with the sound of a bouncing ball, CV wants to be Kemba instead of CV, Polly can't score off the bounce, Sid has limited BBQ and little drive to improve, Whalley is undersized with limited skills, Akok, Gaff, and Bouk are too physically immature to provide many minutes. He did have BA who figures to be a serviceable backup guard. really not much on the shelf for this year.

Next year some of the issues go away, Akok, Gaff, and Bouk get bigger. Cole and Springs could be upgrades after a year of practice and conditioning. Dre and Javonte Brown Ferguson show up (although Javonte Brown Ferguson is a project he may get minutes.) And perhaps there is a surprise or two as @Chief00 keeps hinting. The heart of the team will be better coached, more physical, and more entrenched into the system providing in game cohesion.

I'm excited for the future. It's still my opinion that as fans/spectators in all of this, we won't really have a grasp on the program until Akok, Bouk, and Gaff are juniors.
Now this is a realistic take on the matter. We’re in transition from the KO regime and DH is laying a solid foundation for the future. If Akok and Bouk stay 3 years, we will most definitely be back.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I love this. Even though people see this as a dig at the players, it's also Hurley publicly admitting he as coach hasn't done much significant winning this year. This is a public reality check to hopefully light a fire under his butt / team's butt.

He clearly believes coddling the team and giving himself a pat on the back right now for some early season play isn't the right way to motivate the program. Ever since he got here he has been publicly hyping up the players (as did the previous regime), maybe to the team's detriment giving them unearned egos. I know if was was part of this program I'd be playing like I have something to prove after reading this. Will the players feel the same way? Time will tell...

Reaction Score
Interesting. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's misquoted, but this seems like bad mojo to dismiss a couple of decent wins.

He wasn't misquoted. He was just angry and in a negative mood. I'm willing to excuse that after 2 horrible losses. His quotes from yesterday were more positive and realistic. Must win tonight though or things will unravel worse than ever.

Reaction Score
He very well could be our best player but it’s also risky to assume his success at Howard will translate to the high major level. Averaging 25 at Howard doesn’t automatically mean he’ll put up 15+ here. But Cole seems to have great leadership qualities

I’ve seen him play. IMO, he’s our best player. Maybe by next season Akok or Bouk will be able to give him a run for his money, but not today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom