Inside the Huddle with Dan Hurley (Entire Season) | The Boneyard

Inside the Huddle with Dan Hurley (Entire Season)

Reaction Score
@Storrs South : you’re the champ in my book. This video should be made as part of recruiting materials. Who would not want play for him?

Especially like these:

“Our toughness meter has risen, now let’s kick their asses in basketball!”

“Foot stay on the gas!”

Reaction Score
The thing I noticed all year was that Hurley's huddle discussions were usually much more specific than the opposing team's coach. The other coach usually said generic stuff like "you have to do a better job on the boards" or "you have to tighten up the defense". Hurley would take it a step further however and explain specifically why they were getting beat on the boards or how the defense as lacking and what to do to improve it. It really highlighted what an engaged and high level coach Hurley (and the entire staff) is.

Reaction Score
Hurley is to the bb games like maestro to musics, or surgeon to operations.

He may very well end up THE best coach of college basketball when he hangs up the boots, surpassing the ilks like Coach Calhoun , R Williams, Dean smith and K etc.

Yes I’ll stand by my claims.

Reaction Score
The thing I noticed all year was that Hurley's huddle discussions were usually much more specific than the opposing team's coach. The other coach usually said generic stuff like "you have to do a better job on the boards" or "you have to tighten up the defense". Hurley would take it a step further however and explain specifically why they were getting beat on the boards or how the defense as lacking and what to do to improve it. It really highlighted what an engaged and high level coach Hurley (and the entire staff) is.
My best high level school teams had coaches that knew they could tell you precisely whatever technical or strategic elements needed to be addressed. Every varsity and jv guy knew the assignment. My college coaches…….. not so much.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Am watching this right now. I know a lot of people want to give credit to Luke Murray, for the offensive juggernaut that we’ve become but after watching this video. I’m giving Hurley most of the credit because he understands how their system works and why it works. If Luke leaves eventually, we’ll be just fine.

Reaction Score
Something I love out of this whole video is Kimani Young being the ultimate hype man. Hurleys great but all you see is Kimanis hands clapping and hyping the boys up. Gonna be sad when these assistant coaches leave but I’ll be supportive all the way.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley is incredible. No coach wants it more than him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Am watching this right now. I know a lot of people want to give credit to Luke Murray, for the offensive juggernaut that we’ve become but after watching this video. I’m giving Hurley most of the credit because he understands how their system works and why it works. If Luke leaves eventually, we’ll be just fine.
#fireHurley
#theBoneyardneverforgets

CL82

Reaction Score
The one that has stuck with me and has been our rallying cry is

“Foot stays on gas… and up their, right…foot stays on gas.”
"We've shown our first moment of weakness and it's going to decide the game, it's going to decide the game!"

Reaction Score
What a great video. One thing I noticed is how locked in Samson is in the huddle.

Absolutely noticed that as well... But really, most guys were absolutely locked. It's also really cool to see how positive he is. Now granted, we were a freaking juggernaut. But his admonishment is fair and he's also lauding guys for individual moments as well. I would pay good money to have seen a JC compilation over the years.

Reaction Score
Absolutely noticed that as well... But really, most guys were absolutely locked. It's also really cool to see how positive he is. Now granted, we were a freaking juggernaut. But his admonishment is fair and he's also lauding guys for individual moments as well. I would pay good money to have seen a JC compilation over the years.
He is different from Jim Calhoun. They both are very intense and tyrannical in practices. However, Calhoun was also tyrannical during the games while Hurley is more supportive and buddy buddy with his players during the game. This is generally speaking of course.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
#fireHurley
#theBoneyardneverforgets
Luckily I’m senile so I don’t recall what you’re referring to. Nice try though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh, well it was the fact that you called for early to be fired at halftime of the Iona game during the 2022–2023 national championship run.

Don't worry, you don't need to remember because...
#theBoneyardneverforgets

Reaction Score
You may be senile but The Boneyard never forgets. Halftime of the Iona game ring a bell?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley is incredible. No coach wants it more than him.
A lot of coaches want it as much as Hurley. They either don’t invest the time and energy to get his results or they lack the ability to find like minded players and/or they don’t know how to pull the best out of these players. I will say it’s not just Hurley. The credit has to go to the entire coaching staff for finding the correct players and developing them.

Reaction Score
He is different from Jim Calhoun. They both are very intense and tyrannical in practices. However, Calhoun was also tyrannical during the games while Hurley is more supportive and buddy buddy with his players during the game. This is generally speaking of course.
Society and culture has changed, you really can't be a Calhoun type coach anymore.

CL82

Reaction Score
Society and culture has changed, you really can't be a Calhoun type coach anymore.
I don't know, Hurley has a lot of similarities in temperament, intensity, and demanding perfectionism. He's a throwback in many ways to the way his father coached at Saint Anthony.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom