Inside Mühl’s decision to leave UConn WBB - "best year of my life" | The Boneyard

Inside Mühl’s decision to leave UConn WBB - "best year of my life"

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

"I feel like it's been such an emotional year for me, what this program has done for me," Mühl said. "They took me and my team to Croatia to play in front of my people, brought my sister over to play in Gampel, and then Senior Night ... I mean, the whole year was too emotional for me, so many things going on."
"I'm forever grateful and thankful that I was able to share those moments with the whole team. And I'm so thankful to Coach and the whole coaching staff and the whole program, everybody, to be able to make that happen for me. I just felt like with all of that, it was the best year of my life."
"It's not that I want to go home. Coming here was a huge adjustment. It's so hard. But I took a leap of faith my freshman year. I took a leap of faith because of Coach. How much I trusted him as soon as I met him, I'd never experienced that before. I don't trust people that easy. Him being able to give me that form of trust was like, 'I have to go here and if I don't I'm going to regret it.'

There are some other great gems about her relationship with Geno, however I'll leave them for y'all to discover.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing that, some really good stuff from and about Nika in there. When speaking of her decision to leave a couple sentences struck me "I just had that feeling that I've given my all in my time here. It's time for other players..." (bold mine).

Here's one more quote: "I don't even know what to say anymore when it comes to numbers and stats like that," Mühl said. "That's not what drives me. That's not why I play. I play for my teammates and I try to bring everything I can to every game. If I get it, great, I'm really proud of myself. But at the end of the day I just want to win with my teammates. That's it."

Definitely read the article. Her last quote says it all about her relationship with Geno.

Reaction Score

"I feel like it's been such an emotional year for me, what this program has done for me," Mühl said. "They took me and my team to Croatia to play in front of my people, brought my sister over to play in Gampel, and then Senior Night ... I mean, the whole year was too emotional for me, so many things going on."
"I'm forever grateful and thankful that I was able to share those moments with the whole team. And I'm so thankful to Coach and the whole coaching staff and the whole program, everybody, to be able to make that happen for me. I just felt like with all of that, it was the best year of my life."
"It's not that I want to go home. Coming here was a huge adjustment. It's so hard. But I took a leap of faith my freshman year. I took a leap of faith because of Coach. How much I trusted him as soon as I met him, I'd never experienced that before. I don't trust people that easy. Him being able to give me that form of trust was like, 'I have to go here and if I don't I'm going to regret it.'

There are some other great gems about her relationship with Geno, however I'll leave them for y'all to discover.
Thanks for sharing the article. The one thing that popped for me is when she said it is hard playing for Geno, but it will be very hard not to play for him going forward. I wonder just how many former players share similar sentiments.

This is what makes the UConn universe so special. A program with a seemingly endless parade of great players, but even more special as individuals.

Reaction Score
I'm grateful as a fan of UConn WB for the efforts of so many young women through the years, who have offered their best selves to something bigger than themselves. In a sense, what they've done is not at the level of the big movements of history. But their willingness to put themselves into something bigger than self-centeredness is impressive. Kerry, Rebecca, Kara, Nekysha, Shea, Sue, Diana, Swin, Maya, Tina, Renee, Bria, Stephanie, Kia, Barbara... and a few who were just dear for particular things... Maria, Ann, Caroline, Kelly, Kiah Stokes (one of my favorite smiles)... a few like Brianna Pulido and Tierney Lawler (Ansonia, hey!) and Heather Buck...
Then Brianna, Katie Lou, Kaleena, and so many, many more.... Morgan, Moriah, Napheesa, Gabby, Evina, even Lou... I'm leaving out many favorites... Carla... others?
And the point is sometimes as they move on, you smile and see that it's fitting. Sometimes there is more moisture in the eyes.
Not sure why, but Nika has touched, her leaving will be a bit sad...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
If, in the unlikely event Nika's career ends with a National Championship, it would make a truely great sports movie. Focused on her journey from Zagreb to Banner 12, amid the back stories of the other players and superstars foutunes and misfortunes, and her relationship with Geno. Even without the Chip at the end, I'd pony up a good pile to see that.

Reaction Score
I'm grateful as a fan of UConn WB for the efforts of so many young women through the years, who have offered their best selves to something bigger than themselves. In a sense, what they've done is not at the level of the big movements of history. But their willingness to put themselves into something bigger than self-centeredness is impressive. Kerry, Rebecca, Kara, Nekysha, Shea, Sue, Diana, Swin, Maya, Tina, Renee, Bria, Stephanie, Kia, Barbara... and a few who were just dear for particular things... Maria, Ann, Caroline, Kelly, Kiah Stokes (one of my favorite smiles)... a few like Brianna Pulido and Tierney Lawler (Ansonia, hey!) and Heather Buck...
Then Brianna, Katie Lou, Kaleena, and so many, many more.... Morgan, Moriah, Napheesa, Gabby, Evina, even Lou... I'm leaving out many favorites... Carla... others?
Saniya Chong, one of my favorite UConn player.

Saniya Chong.jpg

Reaction Score
Saniya Chong, one of my favorite UConn player.

View attachment 97564
Can't agree more. I absolutely loved watching Saniya play the game. I was fortunate enough to live across the Hudson from her and she was peerless in the Hudson Valley region of New York (pretty much the entire state her last couple years, with the exception of a gangly kid from the Syracuse area who ended up being her best friend and teammate at UConn).

There were a lot of rival coaches that were very happy to see her graduate! She could simply take over the game at will, but was never comfortable being portrayed as the star, always extremely team oriented, modest about her own achievements and an exceptional teammate. I remember a game, during the second half - the other teams strategy was to simply foul her to not let her get her shot, she just kept stepping to the line and knocking them down, something like 25-30 without a miss. She left HS with her name all over the NY state record book.

I was ecstatic when she committed to UConn and my eyes were glued on her every second she was on the court. She was an exceptionally skilled basketball player - she just lacked the driven self confident type of personality that super stars have. She really just loved be part of her teams both Ossining HS and at UConn.

It seems she's very happy post UConn, from instagram posts I've seen. Another really good human being that we were all lucky enough to see play for our Huskys!

Reaction Score
Can't agree more. I absolutely loved watching Saniya play the game. I was fortunate enough to live across the Hudson from her and she was peerless in the Hudson Valley region of New York (pretty much the entire state her last couple years, with the exception of a gangly kid from the Syracuse area who ended up being her best friend and teammate at UConn).

There were a lot of rival coaches that were very happy to see her graduate! She could simply take over the game at will, but was never comfortable being portrayed as the star, always extremely team oriented, modest about her own achievements and an exceptional teammate. I remember a game, during the second half - the other teams strategy was to simply foul her to not let her get her shot, she just kept stepping to the line and knocking them down, something like 25-30 without a miss. She left HS with her name all over the NY state record book.

I was ecstatic when she committed to UConn and my eyes were glued on her every second she was on the court. She was an exceptionally skilled basketball player - she just lacked the driven self confident type of personality that super stars have. She really just loved be part of her teams both Ossining HS and at UConn.

It seems she's very happy post UConn, from instagram posts I've seen. Another really good human being that we were all lucky enough to see play for our Huskys!
When I was in Danbury, long times ago, I heard everyone was talking about a kid in Ossining H can score 60 pts a game. Then I heard she went to UConn.

She didn't get too much focus from Geno and she is not the person to show, or have confident to show herself. At UConn lots people (I heard many good schools) expect she will transfer but she choices to stay in UConn. She played all Lacrosse, Basketball and Volleyball in Ossining H.

Just love this blue labor family's kid.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's one more quote: "I don't even know what to say anymore when it comes to numbers and stats like that," Mühl said. "That's not what drives me. That's not why I play. I play for my teammates and I try to bring everything I can to every game. If I get it, great, I'm really proud of myself. But at the end of the day I just want to win with my teammates. That's it."
That's not only what makes a good teammate, but also a good coworker. I'd almost rather work with a shirker than someone who's really good but is always on the lookout for themselves. Although shirkers also bug the hell out of me.

Nika will go a long in life, even after basketball. Nah, there won't be an "after basketball" for her.

Reaction Score

Watched her very emotional postgame interview where the question was asked; tears were flowing (mine too).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
English is not Nika's native language, but she sure has a knack with it.

"I learned so much from that man, and I'm still learning," Mühl said. "I'm going to be learning from him after I leave. He's everything to me. I love him so much. He's not just my coach, he's my best friend, he's like my grandpa. It's hard to play for him, but it's going to be so hard not to play for him."

Reaction Score
I absolutely understand Nika’s decision and I respect her and her maturity level for it. I agree that this has been a particularly amazing year for her (with or without a NC) and there is really nothing left for her to prove. An exceptional young woman who left an indelible mark on this program. Just another one of the many greats to have played for us — one we have been very lucky to have for all four years.

I’ve seen many players come and go over the years but for some reason these past few years (culminating with Nika and likely AE) have really brought me to tears thinking about their career. Although their accomplishments are NOTHING to sniff at, as a fan I do wish they could have at least one title to their names. I really hope by some grace of some higher being they are able to have a magical run through the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
When I was in Danbury, long times ago, I heard everyone was talking about a kid in Ossining H can score 60 pts a game. Then I heard she went to UConn.

She didn't get too much focus from Geno and she is not the person to show, or have confident to show herself. At UConn lots people (I heard many good schools) expect she will transfer but she choices to stay in UConn. She played all Lacrosse, Basketball and Volleyball in Ossining H.

Just love this blue labor family's kid.
"Blue labor"? Hmm.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I love her so much and just can't imagine the team on the floor without her. Throughout all the injuries, Nika and Aaliyah played just about every game, so shorthanded that they barely got a break. It's funny, but I think at least 20% of the conversation on this forum was about Nika. I'm hoping some of the naysayers have finally come around to understand and enjoy the moments that she can create on the court. She will be missed like one of our greats. Foreign players are special, moving their lives from a controlled environment to one of mystery and the great unknown. That takes a lot of courage, and nobody can say that Nika Muhl lacks courage. She needs to break that assist record to put her in the UConn record books for ever. Do it or not, I will always remember her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom