Indiana next- what to expect | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Indiana next- what to expect

Reaction Score
IU lost three times to Iowa, Creighton beat Iowa at Iowa, UCONN beat Creighton twice by 18 and 20.
So Connecticut should lose to the likes of Monmouth, Abilene Christian, and Missouri State?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said. Indiana, especially Holmes and Berger, Cardano-Hillary, are a joy to watch. Those three players are throwbacks. Berger with the pull up jumper game. Cardano-Hillary with the pesky defense. Holmes just fluid with her game. Footwork. Post work. Solid. Indiana is beatable but UConn can not come in half stepping and thinking that this is going to be an easy game.
It was suggested here many times that UConn should not look past UCF or take them lightly. It turned out to be good advice. Indiana will be a much tougher opponent, and UConn should conduct themselves accordingly.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Cam Brink posted 22 and 21 in Stanford’s win against Indiana. Her length and athleticism really bothered Holmes on both ends. This could be a game where UConn’s posts feast if they get her in foul trouble. I also think Juhasz could potentially have a big game because of her familiarity with Indiana.
In the 2020-21 season, IU and Ohio State played twice and split in the regular season: 78-70 (OSU) and 87-75 (IU). Interestingly, they each won on the other's home court.

In the OSU win, Dorka Juhasz had 19 points and 12 rebounds, while Mackenzie Holmes had 17 points and 10 rebounds, so both double-doubled.

In the IU win, Holmes scored 17 points and grabbed 8 rebounds, while Juhasz scored 11 pts and grabbed 12 rebounds, for another double-double. Still, neither player out-performed each other. Interestingly, IU was led in rebounding in this one by the 5'6" Cardano-Hilary, who grabbed 11.

Reaction Score
Patberg’s freshman classmates at Notre Dame, Arike & Mabrey 2 (Boneyard favorites;)) are entering their 4th season in the wnba this year :eek: while she’s still playing in the NCAA.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Do not compare score as it is meaningless.

Attachments

• F1FA3840-D0D6-4263-BD2C-E7ACB07F31AE.gif
    F1FA3840-D0D6-4263-BD2C-E7ACB07F31AE.gif
    75.1 KB · Views: 99
Reaction Score
IU lost three times to Iowa, Creighton beat Iowa at Iowa, UCONN beat Creighton twice by 18 and 20.
I see your deductive reasoning, but that's often not applicable to WBB, or for most sporting events for that matter. It's all about matchups, more rock/paper/scissors... Actually, UCF presented more of a challenge to UConn than IU because UConn is better against good-structured teams than they are teams who create chaos and play "down in the dirt". But I agree, I like UConn's chances...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
what to expect?
closeup-slicing-red-cabbage-kitchen-knife-slicing-red-cabbage-kitchen-knife-114475300.jpg

in honor of st paddy's week. at my hut, it's week. $1.99 corn beef and 30 cents cabbage will do that to you. i mean, seriously, who can eat more than a day or so of hammentashen? that stuff can wear on you quickly.
notice the red color. in honor of those goofy red and white striped warmup pants that i've seen iu in.
and number 34. don't know her name (why would i? i don't watch them, what rings do they have?), but she looks kinda cagey. slick, too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana is a solid team across the board. Balanced scoring, capable threats from deep, midrange and in the post. They're maybe the floppiest team I've ever seen so prepare to be frustrated since they'll get a few calls to go their way.

This is a throw back, but the matchup with UCONN/Indiana reminds me of the 2006 Sweet 16 when it was 2 seed UCONN at home vs 3 seed Georgia.

Spoiler: Georgia was similarly solid across the board and UCONN had a good but vulnerable team and was playing in front of a loud home crowd. It was an insane finish with 4 lead changes in the final minute, and it ended on a last second off balance 3 by Barbara Turner followed by Georgia almost hit a half court shot to win at the buzzer. Hopefully we get a similarly great game this weekend.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
According to the reporters at the UCF post game presser several Huskies are probably on that team.
Yeah, there was one guy who brought it up twice to their coach. Obviously he had to be a down south reporter since that is the biggest thing he could come up with. A________e.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
why context matters, in the 1st 2 meetings in Late February with one of Indiana's best players missing both games.
I don't subscribe to "this team beat that team therfore" but another team I know of was missing some pretty good players as well.

Reaction Score
Indiana is a solid team across the board. Balanced scoring, capable threats from deep, midrange and in the post. They're maybe the floppiest team I've ever seen so prepare to be frustrated since they'll get a few calls to go their way.

This is a throw back, but the matchup with UCONN/Indiana reminds me of the 2006 Sweet 16 when it was 2 seed UCONN at home vs 3 seed Georgia.

Spoiler: Georgia was similarly solid across the board and UCONN had a good but vulnerable team and was playing in front of a loud home crowd. It was an insane finish with 4 lead changes in the final minute, and it ended on a last second off balance 3 by Barbara Turner followed by Georgia almost hit a half court shot to win at the buzzer. Hopefully we get a similarly great game this weekend.

I don't think the BYers could take a game like after last nights game.

Reaction Score
Ok so I still have FloHoops, nobody say a word:D...turns out we both played a common team. Indiana played Butler on 11/10 and gave up 63 points while scoring 86. We played them on 1/12 and Butler scored 47 while we put up 92. I know it doesn't mean much but it gives me something to watch later on. Paige and Azzi DNP

Reaction Score
The transitive property is not reliable in sports and certainly not when applied six times in succession.

Reaction Score
One thing I would expect is that our three bigs will shoot better. They were 2 for 12 last night! Credit UCF to a degree, but several of those misses were uncontested close shots. And I expect Dorka to drain 1 or three pointers that were missing vs. UCF.
Am I being too optimistic expecting them to revert to their usual results?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A nice smooth game with rhythm. Less chaos and may the team scoring the most points win without any controversies!

Reaction Score
I watch IU a bunch, because of a bB1G subscription and, initially, because I still like Ali Patberg, in either a green or red uniform. Now, I just like the whole dang team

Coco:
  • Berger is, indeed, the queen of the mid-range game and she can get to it in a variety of ways: pull-ups, back-in and turnaround, even some under and ups. She gets fouled a bunch, too.
  • Holmes will do her Kevin McHale thing, too. She looks gangly, but don't be fooled, she's super efficient and all the IU players work getting her a touch at least one of three times down the court.
  • Aleksa Gulbe is, imho, the most improved player over the last two years. Third leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. Looks like and plays like a cross of the Westbeld sisters. She's solid and smart.
  • At this point, Ali Patberg has probably played more HS and college games in Indiana than anyone. She's not the focal point anymore, but can sting you on the run and that odd set/jumper.
  • Smart, smart, experienced. Teri Moren has an older team and they play like one. Won't get rattled. At all. Under pressure, look for Berger to get the ball and good luck taking it from her.
  • Foul shots. 75%. They won't miss many.

HuskyFan1125:
- Cardano-Hillary will, if I read Moren correctly, attach herself to the Husky that they feel controls pace and then they'll be considered one thing. She drives Clark nuts.
Paige, meet your new best friend.
- As per flopping: C-H is not just a pest who falls backwards: she made the all-defense B1G team. Excellent one-on-one defender who also fills passing lanes. C-H moves her feet well, gets in a guard's grill and then rebounds to the tune of nearly 5 a game. Yes, she's 5'6".

Looking forward to this game.....
Edwards and Dorka should have big games… yeah Indiana has been playing together for years, beatable, we have to eliminate mistakes and shoot well… but the Hoosiers have NEVER played UConn so that is huge advantage for us!

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
View from the other side:

True, the Bridgeport regional is not officially a home game for Connecticut, but who’s anyone kidding? This is like swimming with a shark in a fish pond. Not its natural habitat but would you want to do it?
1647984754567.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Indiana starts two graduate students, two seniors, and a junior. I don't remember the number, but they've played an incredible number of games together.

UConn matches up well against the Hoosiers, though. Holmes will get some baskets, rebounds, and blocks, which is fine. Berger will get her pullups, rebounds, and assists. The one thing that worries me is if Patberg and/or Cardono-Hillary get hot from three. Either one of them can sink them in bunches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom