Indiana Fever Question | The Boneyard

Indiana Fever Question

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Let's define a successful season for the Fever is making the playoffs. That means eighth place or higher. That means they have to have a better record than four other teams.

Open for discussion - Who are the four teams you see them beating out?

Reaction Score
They have three of the best (based on draft number) players to come into the league in the last three years. They have size, they have shooters but lack coaching and defensive intensity. They should be a top 4-5 team right now but with their current coach and the discipline of the players they will be lucky to be a top 8 team.

The league in general is letting players mug CC anytime she gets the ball. If Diana was played like CC she would be shooting 20 free throws a game and the other team would be out of players. If the league wants to capitalize on the Clark phenomenon they need to focus on the freedom of movement of the guards or it will be lost.

The did start out with New York in two of the three games to start the season so that was a tough break. They must play tougher defense and get more offense out of Boston if they want to be a serious playoff team this season.

Reaction Score
They have three of the best (based on draft number) players to come into the league in the last three years. They have size, they have shooters but lack coaching and defensive intensity. They should be a top 4-5 team right now but with their current coach and the discipline of the players they will be lucky to be a top 8 team.

The league in general is letting players mug CC anytime she gets the ball. If Diana was played like CC she would be shooting 20 free throws a game and the other team would be out of players. If the league wants to capitalize on the Clark phenomenon they need to focus on the freedom of movement of the guards or it will be lost.

The did start out with New York in two of the three games to start the season so that was a tough break. They must play tougher defense and get more offense out of Boston if they want to be a serious playoff team this season.
They are such a young team. Aside from Mitchell and Wheeler, all of the players have been in the W for 4 years or less. The core group of Boston/Smith/Clark are 22-23 years old. It'll take time. I am not making any judgements on Coach Sides as of yet.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
A successful Fever season is the 7 or 8 seed (record around 0.500 or slightly below), with Indy beating out Washington, Dallas (sorry, Arike), LA, and Chicago. While I don't necessarily see Indy missing the playoffs as a complete failure, they would be considered a failure if they finish 12th.

Their issues on offense have been well documented, but it's their defense that is absolutely horrific. I've said this before, but I'm not sure why a defensive-minded coach like Christie Sides was not given players who have more of a defensive mentality. While Sides has had her notable issues (continuing to put NaLyssa Smith on Breanna Stewart at this point is major coaching malpractice and the very definition of insanity), she doesn't have much to work with on that side of the ball. She doesn't have a Jackie Young or a Betnijah Laney-Hamilton or a Kahleah Copper that she can slot in at the three position to slow down the opposing perimeter attack from the wing nor does she have a Natasha Cloud, Jordin Canada, or Brittney Sykes who can set the tone defensively from the top of the key. And having a player like Cameron Brink or Shakira Austin instead of NaLyssa Smith would help as well.

The offense was better last year, so we know it can improve. But the defense is just as bad or maybe even worse than it was a season ago. That requires better players.

Reaction Score
The mystics and the Sparks they should have no issue beating out. Chicago is scrappier than expected but it’s another team they should place ahead of. I think 9-7 will be a battle between the Mercury, the Lynx, Dallas and the Fever.

Reaction Score
A successful Fever season is the 7 or 8 seed (record around 0.500 or slightly below), with Indy beating out Washington, Dallas (sorry, Arike), LA, and Chicago. While I don't necessarily see Indy missing the playoffs as a complete failure, they would be considered a failure if they finish 12th.

Their issues on offense have been well documented, but it's their defense that is absolutely horrific. I've said this before, but I'm not sure why a defensive-minded coach like Christie Sides was not given players who have more of a defensive mentality. While Sides has had her notable issues (continuing to put NaLyssa Smith on Breanna Stewart at this point is major coaching malpractice and the very definition of insanity), she doesn't have much to work with on that side of the ball. She doesn't have a Jackie Young or a Betnijah Laney-Hamilton or a Kahleah Copper that she can slot in at the three position to slow down the opposing perimeter attack from the wing nor does she have a Natasha Cloud, Jordin Canada, or Brittney Sykes who can set the tone defensively from the top of the key. And having a player like Cameron Brink or Shakira Austin instead of NaLyssa Smith would help as well.

The offense was better last year, so we know it can improve. But the defense is just as bad or maybe even worse than it was a season ago. That requires better players.
They added Caitlin Clark and KLS to their rotation, ofc their defense is worse than last year. The only good defender in their starting line up
is Aliyah.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
They added Caitlin Clark and KLS to their rotation, ofc their defense is worse than last year. The only good defender in their starting line up
is Aliyah.
Agreed, which is why it's major GM malpractice to stick a defensive-minded coach like Christie Sides with limited defensive options. They'd look a lot better with someone like Rebecca Allen at the three.

Reaction Score
Agreed, which is why it's major GM malpractice to stick a defensive-minded coach like Christie Sides with limited defensive options. They'd look a lot better with someone like Rebecca Allen at the three.
Yea but nobody’s going to the Fever before they go to Seattle, New York, the Aces or The Mercury imo. Bec Allen was one of the more sought after free agents this year, no way was she a realistic get for the Fever.

Reaction Score
The fever won 19% of games in 2021, 14% in 2022, and 33% in 2023. They lost Caldwell, Cannon, and Vivian’s from last years rotation. But they’ve added Clark, Samuelson and Fagbenle to the rotation this year. One would say on paper the additions outweigh the subtractions.

I’d say success for them is finishing with 17 or more wins. That puts you in the conversation for the final playoff spot. If they can’t improve on their 13 wins from last year, I’d really question Clark’s ability to impact winning at this level, vs her ability to just get points.

I’d guess the bottom teams from worst to best will be Washington, LA, Chicago, and Indiana.

Reaction Score

I disagree that they should be a top 4-5 team based off their draft picks. This is still a very young team with these young pieces are still finding their roles in the league.

The Fever hasn't been a winning program since Catchings retired, the vets on this team while talented are not exactly winners at the pro level. Having a winning culture is huge when it comes to getting over the hump.

Starting the season off with multiple games against the Sun, Liberty, Storm and one Aces game is very tough for a young team still figuring it out.

If the Fever can build some chemistry and learn each other as they get through this tough 9 game stretch to start the season I believe they could still find enough time to sneak into the playoffs if done right.

As for your comments about officiating I think Clark gets a decent whistle for someone who really doesn't drive too often and as a rookie. As it currently stands Clark goes to the line 3.3 times a game compared to DT's 3.5.

Reaction Score
is Aliyah.
Watching them the issue looks to be the interior defense. Against NY Stewie could have scored every time down the floor. Boston to me looks terrible on defense and even worse on offense. I don't necessarily blame her though, I think their coach has no idea how to build an offense around the talent she has to put on the floor.

Reaction Score
Watching them the issue looks to be the interior defense. Against NY Stewie could have scored every time down the floor. Boston to me looks terrible on defense and even worse on offense. I don't necessarily blame her though, I think their coach has no idea how to build an offense around the talent she has to put on the floor.
I mean Ty Harris saw Clark on her in that fourth quarter and called game. I think with Mitchell back in the line up and looking good teams will start moving the best defender over to her and take a Clark out of the game on offense by going at her more intentionally. Especially with her propensity to pick up fouls.

I expect the Fever to beat the Storm by double digits Wednesday. No one on that team can defend Clark and Jewel’s favorite trick this season is shooting them out of games.

Reaction Score

lol. Who invited this guy? Says the fever should be a top 5 team, blames the coach, says the league should let Clark have all the freedom to do whatever she wants, throws Diana Taurasi shade in there for good mix, with a “the league isn’t capitalizing on the CC hype” for the cherry on top. You’ve covered the gamut of opinions for people who just want to see her do good and that’s it. The team is almost last in every major category, even pace. That isn’t just getting turned around with the snap of a finger. They had just as little time as everyone for training camp. They just not good

Reaction Score
LA
Washington
Seattle
Chicago (but they seem to look better than indy rn WITHOUT Cardoso)

Reaction Score
LA
Washington
Seattle
Chicago (but they seem to look better than indy rn WITHOUT Cardoso)
Can’t imagine Seattle won’t turn it around themselves. I’d put Dallas as a team the Fever shouldn’t have issue beating out.

Reaction Score
The team is almost last in every major category, even pace. That isn’t just getting turned around with the snap of a finger. They had just as little time as everyone for training camp. They just not good
True... I'd love to talk to the genius who decided a schedule that quarantined the Fever would open 0-4 was equitable. The Sun and Liberty will make the lower echelon of the league look pathetic.

That said, the remainder of May's 5 games will give a complete picture as CC and friends sandwich home/ away with the Storm and Sparks around the point guardless Aces.

Reaction Score
lol. Who invited this guy? Says the fever should be a top 5 team, blames the coach, says the league should let Clark have all the freedom to do whatever she wants, throws Diana Taurasi shade in there for good mix, with a “the league isn’t capitalizing on the CC hype” for the cherry on top. You’ve covered the gamut of opinions for people who just want to see her do good and that’s it. The team is almost last in every major category, even pace. That isn’t just getting turned around with the snap of a finger. They had just as little time as everyone for training camp. They just not good
Maybe he’s Caitlin’s dad

Reaction Score
About the Fever: A bit puzzled actually at what the coach is trying to do. Ever since Mitchell joined CC in the backcourt, these two dominate the offense. Where is the balance between guard play and the frontcourt where they presumably have great potential as well?

In today's game against the Sparks, Boston shot the ball 9 times. CC 16 with 10 3pt attempts; Mitchell 15; the two of them 31 which is almost half of the 68 shots the Fever took. The coach should be finding ways to balance this and use what he's got out front or they will never develop balance needed to be a winning team, the first step towards becoming a championship contender.

Last edited:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
About the Fever: A bit puzzled actually at what the coach is trying to do. Ever since Mitchell joined CC in the backcourt, these two dominate the offense. Where is the balance between guard play and the frontcourt where they presumably have great potential as well?

In today's game against the Sparks, Boston shot the ball 9 times. CC 16 with 10 3pt attempts; Mitchell 15; the two of them 31 which is almost half of the 68 shots the Fever took. The coach should be finding ways to balance this and use what he's got out front or they will never develop balance needed to be a winning team, the first step towards becoming a championship contender.
I agree with this.

I'll also add that Christie Sides is supposed to be a defensive-minded coach, but the team has not made any tangible gains on that side of the ball this season. I know that they've added players who aren't defensive-minded (why, Lin Dunn?), but the schemes do not seem to be all that great and the players don't seem to be buying in. The players never look like they're moving on a string. I don't recall her ever using zone to mix up the looks she gives opponents (even Phoenix has done this some this season). It also seems as though she's averse to calling for double teams. And who's actually communicating on defense for them on the court?

Reaction Score
I agree with this.

I'll also add that Christie Sides is supposed to be a defensive-minded coach, but the team has not made any tangible gains on that side of the ball this season. I know that they've added players who aren't defensive-minded (why, Lin Dunn?), but the schemes do not seem to be all that great and the players don't seem to be buying in. The players never look like they're moving on a string. I don't recall her ever using zone to mix up the looks she gives opponents (even Phoenix has done this some this season). It also seems as though she's averse to calling for double teams. And who's actually communicating on defense for them on the court?
It's so disappointing.....even in the disjointed defense and a backcourt dominated offense where its freelancing seems encouraged, there evidence that they have enough good players to be better than their record. It is almost as if they are trying to showcase CC at the expense of good team play that utilizes all its resources efficiently. Boston was far more efficient tonight than the two guards. I am not pro-Boston per se. I do prefer to see good team play, on both sides of the ball. It would be safe to say that Boston did well on the defense tonight as well.

Reaction Score
It's so disappointing.....even in the disjointed defense and a backcourt dominated offense where its freelancing seems encouraged, there evidence that they have enough good players to be better than their record. It is almost as if they are trying to showcase CC at the expense of good team play that utilizes all its resources efficiently. Boston was far more efficient tonight than the two guards. I am not pro-Boston per se. I do prefer to see good team play, on both sides of the ball. It would be safe to say that Boston did well on the defense tonight as well.
I actually think the Fever will win more games when CC has a stat line like the first Sparks game than this one. 12 pts, 10 rebounds and 8 assists. Or something. I’m not surprised she scored 30 tonight and they lost at home to a team they beat on the road last week. And this isn’t a knock on Clark, I’m sure she was happier scoring less points winning than she was tonight. I think it’s clear Sides has no idea how to balance the expectations of fans coming to see a Clark based offense and building an offense (and defense with so many defensive liabilities) that can win games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom