In potential Fox-Big Ten rights deal, the big story may be ESPN | The Boneyard

In potential Fox-Big Ten rights deal, the big story may be ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Follow-up to: Fox, Big Ten Closing In On Media Rights Agreement (Sports Business Daily)

In potential Fox-Big Ten rights deal, the big story may be ESPN

>>ESPN’s lowball bid is the most shocking part of these negotiations and could be the first sign that the network’s cost-cutting measures are starting to affect its rights deals. This isn’t like NASCAR or the Olympics — two properties that ESPN didn’t seek — which kept it from being aggressive in the bidding process. ESPN likes Big Ten programming for its reach and demographics, and its executives have not been shy about saying that they want to keep it. Though it hasn’t happened a lot, ESPN has been outbid before, like on the NCAA tournament, which went to CBS and Turner, and World Cup, which went to Fox.

But we can’t think of another time that ESPN did not place a competitive bid for a property it really wanted. Sources said ESPN’s offer was well below Fox’s. This is the network that has set the parameters for sports rights negotiations since the late 1990s, and it should send shock waves to sports leagues that ESPN is more cost-conscious with its rights fees. The question is how long this belt-tightening will last given that most major sports rights aren’t up for several years. Word is that ESPN already has set up meetings to bid on what remains of the Big Ten’s rights. But if ESPN’s bid wasn’t competitive for the first package, we’re skeptical that it will be competitive on the second one.<<

Reaction Score
What is amazing to me is that FOX seems committed to building FS1 in the exact same way that ESPN built it's sports empire: a mix of broadcasting rights to top pro and college athletics and big name on-air talent.

The problem is that the world in which ESPN's model became successful no longer exists.

FS1 becoming the new ESPN doesn't do anything to address the major challenges that ESPN currently faces.

Just my two cents, but I think the bigger story is FS1 out-ESPNing ESPN without any consideration of the changing media landscape.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
ESPN is low balling because their viewership is higher than FS1 AND leagues can't buy the exposure.

The AAC has viewership with ESPN and no money but that was done partially by design. The Big East is on FS1 and have money but no one sees them. ESPN must be banking on paying less to give the exposure. If the Big 10 does not go with them, then they have other conferences that will jump and they can build up(for much less money).

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN is low balling because their viewership is higher than FS1 AND leagues can't buy the exposure.

The AAC has viewership with ESPN and no money but that was done partially by design. The Big East is on FS1 and have money but no one sees them. ESPN must be banking on paying less to give the exposure. If the Big 10 does not go with them, then they have other conferences that will jump and they can build up(for much less money).

If ESPN is relying on the AAC for content, they'd better figure out a way to keep UConn on board.

Reaction Score

The biggest loser in the B1G/FOX TV Deal is the Big East.

If you think that the network is going to show St. john's-Seton Hall when they just paid 3 Billion to show Michigan-Michigan State you're crazy.

I hope 'Nova likes 11 AM tip off times on Saturdays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If ESPN is relying on the AAC for content, they'd better figure out a way to keep UConn on board.
Yeah, that fact scares me a bit.

I think that ESPN used the Big East/AAC negotiation tactic of take it or leave it. The Big 10 was attractive enough that other bidders ponied up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The biggest loser in the B1G/FOX TV Deal is the Big East.

If you think that the network is going to show St. john's-Seton Hall when they just paid 3 Billion to show Michigan-Michigan State you're crazy.

I hope 'Nova likes 11 AM tip off times on Saturdays.
Or are they the biggest winner, since people may now take the time to figure out where FS1 is on the dial?

Reaction Score
Or are they the biggest winner, since people may now take the time to figure out where FS1 is on the dial?

Honestly they better get used to calling FS2 home...

...and not even NASA can find that place.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Agreed.

Yeah, I'm sure the nation is abuzz to catch Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Penn state, Rutgers hoops.

I could see a Saturday slate of alternating B1G and Big East games on Fox and FS1 with the major programs.

If anything it elevates the top half of the Big East.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is amazing to me is that FOX seems committed to building FS1 in the exact same way that ESPN built it's sports empire: a mix of broadcasting rights to top pro and college athletics and big name on-air talent.

The problem is that the world in which ESPN's model became successful no longer exists.

FS1 becoming the new ESPN doesn't do anything to address the major challenges that ESPN currently faces.

Just my two cents, but I think the bigger story is FS1 out-ESPNing ESPN without any consideration of the changing media landscape.

They seem to be trying to reproduce everything that everyone hates about ESPN.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that fact scares me a bit.

I think that ESPN used the Big East/AAC negotiation tactic of take it or leave it. The Big 10 was attractive enough that other bidders ponied up.

I don't know - seems like a lot of money when you consider all the content they need to air. This isn't Fox of 1993 shocking CBS with its NFL bid. Couldn't miss with that one product. Here they are going to have to air a lot of unwatchable crap. We'll see - but it may erode value quickly.

Reaction Score
. ESPN likes Big Ten programming for its reach and demographics, and its executives have not been shy about saying that they want to keep it. <

I find it amusing that the media always reports everything that people say as 100% truth, and not that they might be speaking strategically.

For all this writer knows, ESPN might have talked up the big10 to get its competitor to increase its bid.

Reaction Score
ESPN made so much money for so long...by losing these deals they can improve margin, and Fox can grow revenue and EBITDA, even if the margins aren't historically great. Both sides can win here. Different points of view.

Reaction Score
ESPN made so much money for so long...by losing these deals they can improve margin, and Fox can grow revenue and EBITDA, even if the margins aren't historically great. Both sides can win here. Different points of view.

EBITDA=Even be in the dough again?

I have never seen that before so if I'm right it is definitely a rain man moment.

Reaction Score
EBITDA=Even be in the dough again?

I have never seen that before so if I'm right it is definitely a rain man moment.

Earnings before Interest, Depreciation, ...

Common business financial statistic, akin to Profits

Reaction Score
Fox getting must-see programming is good for the Big East because it's going to force cable providers to carry FS1 on a more attainable package, resulting in more exposure for the Big East.

Reaction Score
Lets face it, ESPN got fat charging cable companies high rates to carry their channels. Us sports fans could have cared less as long as we could watch our teams somewhere on their platforms. The cord cutting, the majority of which are take it or leave it sports fans, has hit them a lot harder than a newbie like FS1. They own so much content they have to pay for, they have to figure out how to monetize how content is reaching people. They never viewed cord cutting as a legitimate threat it seems.

I think as a newcomer Fox Sports can be selective in which brands they will break the bank for. Them overpaying for the Big 10 was smart. Them not sniffing at the American was smart. They rolled the dice on the Big East and that hasn't exactly paid off. Their UFC stuff does real well for them. They're almost in trial and error mode which is simply a luxury ESPN doesn't have.

Reaction Score
Since the B1G is going to be making over twice as much as the PAC12 if you count all revenues, imagine this scenario....

The B1G finalizes its expansion by claiming the state of California.....

Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

That gives the CA schools more money and more national exposure. All AAU schools. It gives the B1G more money and no worry about demographics ever again.

The PAC12 makes a play for top Big 12 schools to stay competitive. The SEC makes a play for NC and VA to keep pace with the B1G.

The ACC back fills with what's left of the Big 12 and UConn, Cincy, and/or UCF and USF.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm a bit torn on all this.. while ESPN not matching FS1 may seem like a bad sign for ESPN... on the other hand.. is it smart to break the bank when there's plenty of other content that does pretty well out there? For all the Ohio State-Michigan matchups out there you've got more Northwestern-Indiana kind of matchups. That's the bulk of what you're paying for.... not to mention is there any amount of money that wouldn't be overpaying for Skip Bayless?

Reaction Score
I'm a bit torn on all this.. while ESPN not matching FS1 may seem like a bad sign for ESPN... on the other hand.. is it smart to break the bank when there's plenty of other content that does pretty well out there? For all the Ohio State-Michigan matchups out there you've got more Northwestern-Indiana kind of matchups. That's the bulk of what you're paying for.... not to mention is there any amount of money that wouldn't be overpaying for Skip Bayless?

Skip Bayless belongs in jail

Reaction Score
Fox may have full control over the Gavitt Games after next year.........

Big Ten, Big East announce matchups for 2016 Gavitt Games

Big Ten, Big East announce matchups for 2016 Gavitt Games

• By Sean Merriman, BTN.com web
The Big Ten and Big East Conferences have officially announced the matchups for the second annual Gavitt Tipoff Games.

The Gavitt Tipoff Games is an annual early-season series played between the two conferences and named in honor of Dave Gavitt, founder of the BIG EAST and basketball visionary. The series consists of eight men’s basketball games and will be played on Monday, Nov. 14-Friday, Nov. 18 this upcoming season.

This marks the second year of the series, which will span a total of eight years, with games played at home sites.

Below is the complete schedule and some fun notes to get you ready for the 2016 Gavitt Tipoff Games.

*Start times and specific television assignments will be announced at a later date.

Monday, Nov. 14, 2016

Villanova @ Purdue
Villanova, the defending national champion, only had two seniors on its 2014-15 roster in Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu.
2. Purdue is set to return three of its four leading scorers, assuming Caleb Swanigan comes back for his sophomore season. He has entered his name into the 2016 NBA Draft, but has not hired an agent.
3. The last time these two teams played was in 2012, when Villanova defeated Purdue, 89-81, in the semifinals of the 2K Sports Classic.

Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016

Maryland @ Georgetown
Melo Trimble has declared for the 2016 NBA Draft, but has not hired an agent. If he decides to leave early, the Terrapins must replace all five starters from their 2015-16 team, which finished 27-9 and advanced to the Sweet 16.
2. Georgetown missed the NCAA Tournament last season for the second time in the past seven years.
3. These two old rivals played in last year’s Gavitt Tipoff Games, with Maryland pulling off a 75-71 win behind 24 points from Melo Trimble.

Wisconsin @ Creighton
Pending Nigel Hayes’ NBA draft decision, the Badgers are set to return every major contributor from this past year’s Sweet 16 team.
2. Creighton leading scorer Maurice Watson Jr. (14.1 ppg in 2015-16) will join Kansas State transfer Marcus Foster to form what should be one of the top backcourts in the nation.
3. The last time Wisconsin and Creighton played one another was back in 2012, with Creighton pulling off an 84-74 victory over the Badgers.

Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016

Northwestern @ Butler
The Wildcats are expected to get a major boost next season when Vic Law returns after missing the entire 2015-16 season due to injury.
2. Butler has made the NCAA Tournament in eight of the past nine years, including back-to-back national runner-ups in 2010 and 2011.
3. The Wildcats and Bulldogs played in 2014, with Butler defeating Northwestern, 65-56.

Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016

Providence @ Ohio State
Ohio State is expected to return all five starters from this past year’s team, which went 21-14 overall and 11-7 in Big Ten play.
2. Providence must find a way to replace All-American guard Kris Dunn, who is expected to be a top 10 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft.
3. Providence has advanced past the second round of the NCAA Tournament just once (1997) in the past 29 years.

Rutgers @ DePaul
Rutgers guard Corey Sanders has declared for the NBA Draft, but has not hired an agent. If he decides to return to Rutgers, he should be one of the top guards in the conference.
2. DePaul has not appeared in the NCAA Tournament since 2004, when it advanced to the second round before losing to No. 2-seeded UConn.
3. Rutgers, formally of the Big East Conference, used to play DePaul on a regular basis. The last time these two programs played one another was in the first round of the 2013 Big East Tournament. Rutgers won the game by a final score of 76-57.

Seton Hall @ Iowa
Iowa junior guard Peter Jok has declared for the 2016 NBA Draft, but has not hired an agent. If he does choose to leave early and go to the NBA, the Hawkeyes will have to replace their entire starting lineup.
2. Seton Hall made its first NCAA Tournament appearance this past season since back in 2006 under then-head coach Louis Orr.
3. Iowa is set to welcome four-star prospect Tyler Cook as part of the Hawkeyes’ 2016 recruiting class. Cook is the No. 2-ranked player in the state of Missouri, according to ESPN.com.

Friday, Nov. 18, 2016

St. John’s @ Minnesota
Minnesota is set to welcome one of the Big Ten’s top recruiting classes, easily the best class in Richard Pitino’s short stint in Minneapolis.
2. St. John’s recently added former Michigan State transfer Marvin Clark Jr. to its program.
3. These two programs played just two years ago, with the Red Storm beating Minnesota 70-61 in the 2014 NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom