Improvement? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weist + Hughes is better than this staff. We know Foley could coach a bunch of boneyard posters into an adequate line, so why is this line so bad? Cummings is a mess and Diaco knows it and has no confidence in a coach he just hired.

I think Diaco knows enough to know he is in over his head. Not everyone is ready to be a HC, and I think we are learning that Diaco isn't. We knew it would be rocky, but this is a train wreck on the field, and I don't get his recruiting either.

Pointing out that hiring Diaco over Weist was a mistake is not negativity, it is obvious to anyone with eyes. Weist would not have had this learning curve. Negativity is my fear that if Diaco doesn't figure it out, the program will be a smoldering dumpster for the next coach.
Hank Hughes is a better DC than Poindexter...you need to lay off the crack pipe and come back to reality! Defense is NOT the issue with this team...the offensive line is!

Reaction Score
The dilemma that Diaco and Cummings face is do we continue to build his offence around 2 back, a tight end and quarterback under center sets so that we can develop a powerful run game sometime down the road ( next year at the earliest) or does he give in and put his quarterback in the shotgun on every play unless we are inside the ten and throw to 4 wide outs and the back coming out the backfield with a lot of quick passes? It would limit our running game and not take advantage of the 4 skilled running backs on our team but our quarterback would be in a much better position to see the pass rush and the breakdown of the blocking ( which happens on most plays) so that he can make quicker throws. He simply does have enough time when he is under center with our terrible offense line and our tight ends who are all poor blockers. One of the reasons Weist was more successful at the end of the season last year was that he went to this type of offense and abandoned many of the previous coach's pro style sets. You have to play with the cards that you have been dealt and if Diaco wants to win anymore games this year he might have to put some of his ambitious goals on hold until he can develop an offensive line.

Reaction Score
Dex may be the DC on paper. But Diaco is definitely running that aspect.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Weist had a lot of those same pieces playing a lot better.

Reaction Score
I was a big proponent of TJ becoming the next HC. Im not against the Diaco hire, but TJ had the momentum with this team.

Weist also lost 5 games with NFL players on the team, right now we have one.

Reaction Score
Can someone please list last years OL and this years OL so these knuckleheads can have a clue? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Is there a single measurable improvement of Diaco's first four games compared to T.J. Weist's last 4? I think Warde picked the wrong horse.
It's going to take some time, I know nowadays people want success immediately but you have to remember it takes 3-4 years for a coach to really start to turn things around. He is not playing with his recruits (other than a fee freshman). Should he have thrown more, yes but I think 1.) he was worried about the QB getting hurt since the line is atrocious and 2.) I think he wants to establish some type of running game (you aren't gonna beat teams unless you have a balanced attack and can both run and pass). I think he is a good recruiter and has the right staff around him, he just needs time cause he is limited in what he can do cause of the players he has.

Reaction Score
9 penalties. Many pre-snap. Pre-game Diaco said those would be cleaned up. Hmmm??

First road game in a loud stadium when Uconn was on offense. Crowd was small, but they still made some noise. I was there. They had limited penalties the previous 3 games.

C

Chief00

First road game in a loud stadium when Uconn was on offense. Crowd was small, but they still made some noise. I was there. They had limited penalties the previous 3 games.

Quite frankly, in this 4 year nightmare, TJ and Brown, have been the bright coaching spots. In my view if TJ was coaching we would have had one more win so far. Diaco might be ok down the road but it's been a learning on the job trainee look so far.

Reaction Score
Really? Did anyone honestly think this club was going to be that much improved? Cmon, at least give Diaco some time to get his feet on the ground. Most of his players are from the past coach. You have to give him at least a few years to get his own people in the program and experienced. He lost the starting QB. You cannot in good faith throw him to dogs just yet.

Reaction Score
I was there too. It was not loud even when they tried. In fact it was so quiet on some of the posessions it was weird. I was there for the winning FG for the trip to the Fiesta Bowl. That was a loud Ray j stadium. Noise was not an issue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's going to take some time, I know nowadays people want success immediately but you have to remember it takes 3-4 years for a coach to really start to turn things around. He is not playing with his recruits (other than a fee freshman). Should he have thrown more, yes but I think 1.) he was worried about the QB getting hurt since the line is atrocious and 2.) I think he wants to establish some type of running game (you aren't gonna beat teams unless you have a balanced attack and can both run and pass). I think he is a good recruiter and has the right staff around him, he just needs time cause he is limited in what he can do cause of the players he has.

Immediate success? I would take immediate mid-major mediocrity. UConn is one of the 10 worst teams in FBS right now, and the recruiting class is a bunch of kids who were lucky to have MAC offers. I think Diaco knows enough to recognize that his OC is completely over his head, which means he does not have the right staff around him.

This team is much worse than the one Weist left at year end. Maybe Weist had a ceiling and was only a caretaker, but the team was playing well at season's end and capable of beating AAC level competition. Right now, SMU, Tulsa and Tulane are the only teams in the AAC that might be worse than UConn.

Reaction Score
Immediate success? I would take immediate mid-major mediocrity. UConn is one of the 10 worst teams in FBS right now, and the recruiting class is a bunch of kids who were lucky to have MAC offers. I think Diaco knows enough to recognize that his OC is completely over his head, which means he does not have the right staff around him.

This team is much worse than the one Weist left at year end. Maybe Weist had a ceiling and was only a caretaker, but the team was playing well at season's end and capable of beating AAC level competition. Right now, SMU, Tulsa and Tulane are the only teams in the AAC that might be worse than UConn.

If Weist stays on, we still have a new young OL. Cochran was still one concussion from being done. Whitmer is still the same QB. And that leaves this team right where it is today.

Reaction Score
Is there a single measurable improvement of Diaco's first four games compared to T.J. Weist's last 4? I think Warde picked the wrong horse.
From what I am reading today and the fact that is unlikely that UConn will win or even be competitive in the next 3 games, my question is how did UConn allow it's football program to deteriorate so severely? Who was "monitoring" recruiting under the previous regime? I don't believe that Diaco is to blame. The program had sunken into an abyss that we had no idea how deep it was. They let the former coaching staff stay too long. No doubt political pressure played a role, but the since our AD is such a good "monitor" of what other schools are doing, maybe he should have been monitoring the football program as well. It will take a lot more than four games to see any improvement here. Mr. Diaco is using what he has available to get through the season without anyone else getting killed. Whitmer goes down and that's all folks. He cannot risk Boyle with this Oline or there goes next year. He is sacrificing Whitmer but trying not to get him hurt. There is nothing else he can do here.

Reaction Score
Weist had a lot of those same pieces playing a lot better.

Do you think before you speak??????? Or do you just say completely non factual things to try to prove your point.

There have been close two 20 departures since the end of last season.....Oh and that doesn't account for last years Seniors.........Ya Nelson close to 20 underclassman have left.......

Reaction Score
If he doesn't have the pieces to execute his plan, why would he take the job? We need a coach that can execute with the pieces he has, not the pieces he wnats to have because with the football UCONN is playing now, those pieces aren't ever going to come here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you think before you speak??????? Or do you just say completely non factual things to try to prove your point.

There have been close two 20 departures since the end of last season.....Oh and that doesn't account for last years Seniors....Ya Nelson close to 20 underclassman have left..

When a coach runs off players, it is the coach's responsibility, not an excuse.

Reaction Score
When a coach runs off players, it is the coach's responsibility, not an excuse.

That wasn't the argument at hand there nelson......nice try.......I clearly responded to your talk of Weist doing much better with the same pieces....almost had the last zing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom