Impressive UConn stat. Has anyone else in college hoops accomplished this? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Impressive UConn stat. Has anyone else in college hoops accomplished this?

Reaction Score
Stephon's numbers are climbing and Donovan's likely will too if he stays on the court.

15.9 pts Tristen Newton
15.3 pts Cam Spencer
14.5 pts Alex Karaban
12.3 pts Donovan Clingan
10.9 pts Stephon Castle

I went to look up the fab 5 but saw this instead from 1988-1989. I'm sure puke has a number of teams where the starters average double digits, e.g. 2000, but this is impressive

25.6 pts Glen Rice
14.9 pts Rumeal Robinson
12.6 pts Loy Vaught
11.6 pts Terry Mills
12.4 pts Sean Higgins
Not nearly as balanced, but I always found these 89/90 Georgia Tech numbers fascinating.

Dennis Scott 27.7 Pts, 6.6 Reb, 2.0 Ast (1st round 4th overall)
Bryan Oliver 21.3 Pts, 6.0 Reb, 3.3 Ast 2nd round (5th pick, 32nd overall)
Kenny Anderson 20.6 Pts, 5.5 Reb, 8.1 Ast 1st round (2nd pick, 2nd overall)
Malcolm Mackey 7.2 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 0.5 Ast 1st round (27th pick, 27th overall)
Johny McNeil 5.8 Pts, 5.3 Reb, 0.7 Ast (Two year JUCO transfer)

Reaction Score
Since I usually think of the glass as half empty , which is the way the coach views the team in private. I will step out of character and state.
I believe this starting 5 is the best offensive five in UConn history . I go back to the 1950’s so that’s a lot of teams.
I can not recall another group where anyone of the five could take over a game. Not just going off as an anomaly like Brimah scoring 40 against a cupcake but at every tip against anyone it’s a possibility. Preparing a defensive game plan is scary .
The best plan is getting them in foul trouble.
Last year starting 5 team was better defensively and the bench had explosive offensive potential.
Sitting Sanogo and putting in Clingan was devastating to open tents.
100% agree, lots of weapons, nobody you can ignore.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but as an aside, check this out. SHU up by 1 in OT called for a foul with 3 seconds on the clock. What would the fan reaction be today to this foul call. I think most coaches would be certifiable, as would the fans. Just after 27 minutes of the video here

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the 89-90 or 90-91 UNLV teams achieved this feat. Their starting 5 was loaded lead by Larry Johnson. I think the 89-90 team had all 5 starters in double figures with 4 of them averaging 15pts + per game. I believe Greg Anthony was a freshman that year so maybe he didn’t get two 20+ games that season. They won the championship that year and returned everyone but one the following year.
They were fun to watch just like our guys.

pj

Reaction Score
Sorry, but as an aside, check this out. SHU up by 1 in OT called for a foul with 3 seconds on the clock. What would the fan reaction be today to this foul call. I think most coaches would be certifiable, as would the fans. Just after 27 minutes of the video here

No way that would be a foul today. Crazy call.

Reaction Score
Indiana State has three (Swope, Avila and Conwell). Kent has one (but got 20 rebounds last game) and Larry has hit for 19 &16. So they are close. Doubt Larry makes it though.

Reaction Score
Not nearly as balanced, but I always found these 89/90 Georgia Tech numbers fascinating.

Dennis Scott 27.7 Pts, 6.6 Reb, 2.0 Ast (1st round 4th overall)
Bryan Oliver 21.3 Pts, 6.0 Reb, 3.3 Ast 2nd round (5th pick, 32nd overall)
Kenny Anderson 20.6 Pts, 5.5 Reb, 8.1 Ast 1st round (2nd pick, 2nd overall)
Malcolm Mackey 7.2 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 0.5 Ast 1st round (27th pick, 27th overall)
Johny McNeil 5.8 Pts, 5.3 Reb, 0.7 Ast (Two year JUCO transfer)

Great team. Saw them win a close game at the Civic Center against Pitt in the 89-90 ACC/Big East Challenge. I believe they won at the buzzer in on a Brian Oliver putback.

UConn shocked Maryland (and everyone else) in the second game. We blew the Terps off the court. That was just the beginning.

Reaction Score
I think the most balanced starting five I have ever seen at UConn was the 72-73 team.
Custick, Chapman, Foster, Wilson and Al Weston. All averaged 12-16 pts/game. no 3pt or shot clock.
one of the higher scoring teams in the last 50 years. Fun to watch.
That’s was a crazy year because of the balance and no seniors started but although they scored a lot the team wasn’t that great.
1973-74 was the the team that went to the NIT and upset St John‘s at the garden . Foster was unstoppable in that game.
I remember he was the toast of the New York media for awhile
The next Clyde Frazier ,for those who don’t remember he was a guy went from a Southern Illinois unknown to Knick draft pick and super star because of his NIT exploits.
I think Foster was drafted but never made the transition .

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
In regards to 09, Sticks didn't start until Jerome went down for the season, correct? AJP/Dyson/Sticks/Adrien/Thabeet is probably the most potent 5 scoring wise we've had since this season but I don't think it ever aligned that way to start, still a great 5 man group plugging Austrie in Sticks place(and then Dyson), also no coincidence that that was our last dominant regular season from start to finish.
Sticks started from his freshman year on. This team would beat that team by 10.

Reaction Score
This may be the most versatile offensive team we've had 1-5. Some others that come to mind...

94 - Ollie, Sheffer, Donny, Donyell, Travis. That's five pros and you had Ray off the bench for 12/gm and BFair for 7/gm.

95 - Ollie, Sheffer, Ray, Donny, Travis. Same as above with BFair off the bench at 9/gm.

96 - Sheffer, Rudy, Ray, Kirk, Travis... You had the two big scorers in Ray and Doron, two bigs who gave you 10/gm, and then Rudy as a intangible guy.

99 - Khalid, Ricky, Rip, KFree, Jake... Again, two big scorers with Khalid and Rip, KFree was good for 12/gm, and then two intangible guys with Ricky and Jake.

04 - Taliek, Ben, Denham, Boone, Emeka... Ben and Emeka are your two scorers, Denham was good for 10/gm, two intangible guys in Boone and Taliek with CV and Rash coming off the bench for 10/gm.

06 - Marcus, Rash, Denham, Rudy, Hilton... That's four guys who could give you 20 on any night and Hilton who was good for 10/gm.

09 - AJ, Dyson, Sticks, Adrien, Thabeet.. That was a pretty potent offensive 1-5.

14 - Bazz, Boat, Giff, Daniels, Nolan... Four guys who could score and then nobody works a pivot foot like Phil Nolan.
That 94 team in hindsight is absolutely mind blowing with talent. A starting 5 of NBA players and a 6th man became a HOFer. I don't think we'll ever see that again. Maybe its because I was just a kid but I don't think we've ever had another player as exciting to watch as Donyell Marshall... maybe Kemba.

Reaction Score
That 94 team in hindsight is absolutely mind blowing with talent. A starting 5 of NBA players and a 6th man became a HOFer. I don't think we'll ever see that again. Maybe its because I was just a kid but I don't think we've ever had another player as exciting to watch as Donyell Marshall... maybe Kemba.

Donyell was probably the single-most dominant player we've had. We've obviously had other great players, but you could write Donyell down for 25-10 every game and with his size and skillset, he was downright unstoppable most games. I think Kemba is our next highest ppg guy in the JC era, but his shooting, at times (partially out of necessity) was pretty poor and in the low 30%.

Reaction Score
Sticks started from his freshman year on. This team would beat that team by 10.
he didn't originally start when he came back from his 1st semester suspension in the 08-09 season

Reaction Score
That stat is amazing. I am so impressed with how patient Castle was. When guys come into a program as consensus one and dones, if they aren't lighting the world on fire right away you can usually see them pressing and trying to force things. Not him... he has shown a ton of maturity.

I'm also surprised at how effective Cam is on offense with the ball. We knew he would be a great 3 point shooter, but he is so effective and in control in the lane. This team is amazing. As somebody else said, I don't know what you do against them other than try to get guys in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
That’s was a crazy year because of the balance and no seniors started but although they scored a lot the team wasn’t that great.
1973-74 was the the team that went to the NIT and upset St John‘s at the garden . Foster was unstoppable in that game.
I remember he was the toast of the New York media for awhile
The next Clyde Frazier ,for those who don’t remember he was a guy went from a Southern Illinois unknown to Knick draft pick and super star because of his NIT exploits.
I think Foster was drafted but never made the transition .
He was drafted by the Cavaliers but signed with the ABA Sprits of St. Loius. Think he played with Marvin Barnes. Hurt his knee? went to the Nuggets but the injury did him in.

Reaction Score
This may be the most versatile offensive team we've had 1-5. Some others that come to mind...

94 - Ollie, Sheffer, Donny, Donyell, Travis. That's five pros and you had Ray off the bench for 12/gm and BFair for 7/gm.

95 - Ollie, Sheffer, Ray, Donny, Travis. Same as above with BFair off the bench at 9/gm.

96 - Sheffer, Rudy, Ray, Kirk, Travis... You had the two big scorers in Ray and Doron, two bigs who gave you 10/gm, and then Rudy as a intangible guy.

99 - Khalid, Ricky, Rip, KFree, Jake... Again, two big scorers with Khalid and Rip, KFree was good for 12/gm, and then two intangible guys with Ricky and Jake.

04 - Taliek, Ben, Denham, Boone, Emeka... Ben and Emeka are your two scorers, Denham was good for 10/gm, two intangible guys in Boone and Taliek with CV and Rash coming off the bench for 10/gm.

06 - Marcus, Rash, Denham, Rudy, Hilton... That's four guys who could give you 20 on any night and Hilton who was good for 10/gm.

09 - AJ, Dyson, Sticks, Adrien, Thabeet.. That was a pretty potent offensive 1-5.

14 - Bazz, Boat, Giff, Daniels, Nolan... Four guys who could score and then nobody works a pivot foot like Phil Nolan.
Nolan was sneaky the best player on that team

Reaction Score

Worst big call in the history of sports.

Reaction Score
On the subject of impressive stats, we had 10 players make a 3 in the Xavier game. Has that ever happened before (not just for UConn, but any team)?

Reaction Score

There was the one game where Hilton Armstrong scored 26, I think against Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
There was the one game where Hilton Armstrong scored 26, I think against Quinnipiac.

I think with a different team, Hilton could've been an easy 15-18/gm guy. But he knew his role with that team. Still one of my favorite UConn players ever...

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Stephon's numbers are climbing and Donovan's likely will too if he stays on the court.

15.9 pts Tristen Newton
15.3 pts Cam Spencer
14.5 pts Alex Karaban
12.3 pts Donovan Clingan
10.9 pts Stephon Castle

I went to look up the fab 5 but saw this instead from 1988-1989. I'm sure puke has a number of teams where the starters average double digits, e.g. 2000, but this is impressive

25.6 pts Glen Rice
14.9 pts Rumeal Robinson
12.6 pts Loy Vaught
11.6 pts Terry Mills
12.4 pts Sean Higgins
The "Big Dog"! Domination City.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads