Impressive UConn stat. Has anyone else in college hoops accomplished this? | The Boneyard

Impressive UConn stat. Has anyone else in college hoops accomplished this?

Reaction Score
IMG_3601.jpeg

Reaction Score
Awesome. When people refer to Karaban as the "second best player on the team" I have no idea who they consider the best as legit arguments could be made for every starter. Is this our most talented starting lineup 1 through 5 ?

Reaction Score
Awesome. When people refer to Karaban as the "second best player on the team" I have no idea who they consider the best as legit arguments could be made for every starter. Is this our most talented starting lineup 1 through 5 ?

This may be the most versatile offensive team we've had 1-5. Some others that come to mind...

94 - Ollie, Sheffer, Donny, Donyell, Travis. That's five pros and you had Ray off the bench for 12/gm and BFair for 7/gm.

95 - Ollie, Sheffer, Ray, Donny, Travis. Same as above with BFair off the bench at 9/gm.

96 - Sheffer, Rudy, Ray, Kirk, Travis... You had the two big scorers in Ray and Doron, two bigs who gave you 10/gm, and then Rudy as a intangible guy.

99 - Khalid, Ricky, Rip, KFree, Jake... Again, two big scorers with Khalid and Rip, KFree was good for 12/gm, and then two intangible guys with Ricky and Jake.

04 - Taliek, Ben, Denham, Boone, Emeka... Ben and Emeka are your two scorers, Denham was good for 10/gm, two intangible guys in Boone and Taliek with CV and Rash coming off the bench for 10/gm.

06 - Marcus, Rash, Denham, Rudy, Hilton... That's four guys who could give you 20 on any night and Hilton who was good for 10/gm.

09 - AJ, Dyson, Sticks, Adrien, Thabeet.. That was a pretty potent offensive 1-5.

14 - Bazz, Boat, Giff, Daniels, Nolan... Four guys who could score and then nobody works a pivot foot like Phil Nolan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't remember a UCONN starting 5 where everyone can hurt you on offense.

We know 1999 is out of the question because, well, Jake Voskuhl.

2004 had Taliek as a lim fac.

2009 with AJ, Dyson, Sticks, Adrien and Thabeet was probably most likely to have any one of the five drop 20.

Reaction Score
1990 dream team maybe. Smith. Henefeld, Tate George, Rod Sellers, Scott Burrell. Not Sure if Burrell and Sellers would have multiple 20 point games but they would be close to it. This year's team shares the ball like that team did.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's impressive. Newton does lead us in points, rebounds and assists per game, which is amazing. But on points and rebounds, not by much. The 20 point games are a feature of having 3 deadly scorers in Newton, Cam and Alex, plus two guys who can go off. Castle has done it back to back, and maybe he can do it more consistently from here on. I don't think Donovan is a 20 point scorer except in certain matchups. He's a lot more variable. But...pick your poison.

Reaction Score
Come on, give me Okwandu Olander Coombs-McD and freshman napier with Kemba any day
I kid, I kid

Reaction Score
I'm curious how many minutes Donovan is even averaging vs. last season. If could stay out of foul trouble his stat sheets would be nuts.

Reaction Score
It's impressive. Newton does lead us in points, rebounds and assists per game, which is amazing. But on points and rebounds, not by much. The 20 point games are a feature of having 3 deadly scorers in Newton, Cam and Alex, plus two guys who can go off. Castle has done it back to back, and maybe he can do it more consistently from here on. I don't think Donovan is a 20 point scorer except in certain matchups. He's a lot more variable. But...pick your poison.
I’d be happy with 20 minutes from DC.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
To be honest I think Spencer has been our best player overall consistently
You definitely could argue that but a lot of ppl would say newton (the only one on the wooden watch). Newton is currently 4th in kenpom player of the year but the other computers (Torvik and evanmiya) say other starters are more valuable. And many would argue clingan has the biggest impact even though he hasn’t had the best year of individual stats.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
In regards to 09, Sticks didn't start until Jerome went down for the season, correct? AJP/Dyson/Sticks/Adrien/Thabeet is probably the most potent 5 scoring wise we've had since this season but I don't think it ever aligned that way to start, still a great 5 man group plugging Austrie in Sticks place(and then Dyson), also no coincidence that that was our last dominant regular season from start to finish.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You definitely could argue that but a lot of ppl would say newton (the only one on the wooden watch). Newton is currently 4th in kenpom player of the year but the other computers (Torvik and evanmiya) say other starters are more valuable. And many would argue clingan has the biggest impact even though he hasn’t had the best year of individual stats.

Forget that, the more interesting question in my mind is who is the worst player in our starting 5? And by 'worst' I mean 'least awesome.'

Reaction Score
I don't remember a UCONN starting 5 where everyone can hurt you on offense.
Since I usually think of the glass as half empty , which is the way the coach views the team in private. I will step out of character and state.
I believe this starting 5 is the best offensive five in UConn history . I go back to the 1950’s so that’s a lot of teams.
I can not recall another group where anyone of the five could take over a game. Not just going off as an anomaly like Brimah scoring 40 against a cupcake but at every tip against anyone it’s a possibility. Preparing a defensive game plan is scary .
The best plan is getting them in foul trouble.
Last year starting 5 team was better defensively and the bench had explosive offensive potential.
Sitting Sanogo and putting in Clingan was devastating to open tents.

Reaction Score
It can debated like you said, but I think you have to go Tristen by default and then argue the Player of the day based on the opponent and what the Team needs done to get by.

Tristen as default based on: Championship title Game, Pre-season Wooden watch list top 50 (along with Clingan) and Late season Wooden watchlist top 20 (only Husky)!

Reactions: THC

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The 73-74 NCState team is the closest to this team - they had 4 starters who I am sure scored at least 20 pts twice and I wouldn't be surprised if Stoddard did also.

Wooden's Wonderful teams probably did also

Reaction Score
Since I usually think of the glass as half empty , which is the way the coach views the team in private. I will step out of character and state.
I believe this starting 5 is the best offensive five in UConn history . I go back to the 1950’s so that’s a lot of teams.
I can not recall another group where anyone of the five could take over a game. Not just going off as an anomaly like Brimah scoring 40 against a cupcake but at every tip against anyone it’s a possibility. Preparing a defensive game plan is scary .
Last year starting 5 team was better defensively and the bench had explosive offensive potential.
Wow... AZhusky pop has a long memory... This is high praise !

Reaction Score
Forget that, the more interesting question in my mind is who is the worst player in our starting 5? And by 'worst' I mean 'least awesome.'
Evan Miyakawa has tweeted a few times about the best “5th starter” in the country. There is a large gap between Cam Spencer and everyone else. And don’t take calling Cam a “5th starter” as an insult; his site rates him as the 32nd best player in the country. I don’t know how good his player ratings are, but I like the lineup data and filtering options that he has.

Reaction Score
I think the most balanced starting five I have ever seen at UConn was the 72-73 team.
Custick, Chapman, Foster, Wilson and Al Weston. All averaged 12-16 pts/game. no 3pt or shot clock.
one of the higher scoring teams in the last 50 years. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how many minutes Donovan is even averaging vs. last season. If could stay out of foul trouble his stat sheets would be nuts.
This year 19.8 mpg in the 17 games he has played in (15 starts). Last year 13 mpg in the 39 games (all of them) he played in.

Reaction Score
In regards to 09, Sticks didn't start until Jerome went down for the season, correct?
That wasn't my recollection so I looked it up. He started 24 of the 28 games he played in. Wasn't that the year he left the team for a little while? He was working at a company near campus as part of Calhoun's imposed break from the team.

Reaction Score
Stephon's numbers are climbing and Donovan's likely will too if he stays on the court.

15.9 pts Tristen Newton
15.3 pts Cam Spencer
14.5 pts Alex Karaban
12.3 pts Donovan Clingan
10.9 pts Stephon Castle

I went to look up the fab 5 but saw this instead from 1988-1989. I'm sure puke has a number of teams where the starters average double digits, e.g. 2000, but this is impressive

25.6 pts Glen Rice
14.9 pts Rumeal Robinson
12.6 pts Loy Vaught
11.6 pts Terry Mills
12.4 pts Sean Higgins

Reaction Score
That wasn't my recollection so I looked it up. He started 24 of the 28 games he played in. Wasn't that the year he left the team for a little while? He was working at a company near campus as part of Calhoun's imposed break from the team.

yea he missed the first semester, I figured that would have aligned when Dyson went down but that was in February so I think Sticks would have already been inserted back into the starting lineup by then

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom