Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
There’s the very slim possibility that the series’ run could be cut short if the Huskies make an early exit from the big dance. This is March Madness, after all. “HBO and IMG are committed to staying with the Huskies as long as they are playing in the postseason tournament,” Stallone says. “We’ll approach it like a team: one round at a time.”

From the TV Insider article in today's newslinks
Thanks for the clarification/follow-up..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Without nitpicking, a well done start to this series.

This series is for the casual fan. It gives the casual fan a good insight into how difficult it is to play at UConn. And why UConn just wins. We UConn fans know this stuff. And this is great publicity for the team, the coaches, and the university.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the Collier/Chong exclusions will be rectified in upcoming episodes. Are we really complaining about an HBO series that NO ONE ELSE is getting? Really? We get more air time than any other program in the country and this is what we're doing? Complaining?

Reaction Score
Really nice series, nice episode. I think that the omission of Collier in a profile or in interviews had to be, for some reason, her choice. Why, I don't know. But I cannot imagine HBO essentially leaving her out, omitting her, because they thought she wasn't important enough. That just doesn't fly to me. Hopefully, going forward, this will change.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I need my "beauty sleep." Lots and lots of it.....:oops:
For me it's never helped. Perhaps I should try insomnia, or maybe a little apnea.

Reaction Score
HNan...

Like the new mask. Stylish.
upload_2017-3-2_10-28-30.png

JordyG

Reaction Score
I am intrigued by way Geno Auriemma is being presented (portrayed?). He seems almost Shakespearean: eternally troubled, dark private musings, solitary walks down dark corridors, head down. Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird and CD talk about his almost mystical ability to wreak maximum productivity from his players, even players who aren't aware of their greatness.

Exactly like I imagined he would be.
And then he's being held back by CD while screaming "That's a (expletive) call". Shakespeare with a detour through Philly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn - The March To Madness is posted at uconnhuskygames.com:

Now this is what I'm talking about!!!!! Thanks, now the rest of us that don't have, or refuse to buy HBO, can see the piece. :)

Reaction Score
A bit strange. Lots of Geno, Gabby, Kia, Chris and Katie Lou; some of Crystal, zero of Pheesa. The action footage was disappointing. Interviews were vacuous. The camerawork was jerky. Geno came across as a bit of a mystic - lots of scenery chewing, as they say. Also, the first episode takes the season from preseason to almost the present, so a lot of territory was skimpily covered.

The players were engaging. There was a charming scene near the beginning where seemingly the whole team met at Gabby's and Kia's apartment for a group dinner. Katie Lou got an inordinate amount of screen time, to my mind. Liev Schreiber's narration tone was credible.

Personalities aside, the true charm of this year's team is its stunning ball movement, efficient inside play and aggressive defense, none of which came across in the episode. A few feeds and a few outlets were shown, but to nowhere near the effect they could have been.

There is to be another new episode next Wednesday, same time, so maybe they've delve a little more into actual game play with less time to cover.

All in all, I'd rate it a C. Lacking, but acceptable.

Your review and description took the words right out my mouth (except for "vacuous", which is not in my vocabulary). I would add that HBO gave you the impression that Chong wasn't part of the team; terrible slight for a Senior. A grade of C is the best I would do, as I was expecting much more. To my eye, SNY's All-Access programing is put together better and a more compelling watch than what we saw Wednesday evening from HBO (but I still enjoyed watching).

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Lou considers Gabby the team leader. Geno talks about Kia being the leader even though he has wavered on that.

I wonder if the staff found Kia's Glamour photoshoot to be a distraction. Did Kia get paid? I just think it could have been done during the summer.

It has been said already but what HBO did is not a leap over anything that SNY has been doing for a long time.

Chris Dailey looks tired to me. I hope she is ok health wise.

Reaction Score
Just curious, did anybody saw this on a 4k TV? Pretty sure the source is not 4k, but the TV can upscale the HD source to almost 4k. I thought some of the shots were phenomenal. Great documentary offering perspectives not usually available.

Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Lou considers Gabby the team leader. Geno talks about Kia being the leader even though he has wavered on that.

I wonder if the staff found Kia's Glamour photoshoot to be a distraction. Did Kia get paid? I just think it could have been done during the summer.

It has been said already but what HBO did is not a leap over anything that SNY has been doing for a long time.

Chris Dailey looks tired to me. I hope she is ok health wise.

The photo shoot segment was a surprise. Kia is definitely wearing a UCONN uniform so she is representing the university and the team. That would have required administrative approval and probably Geno's as well. If it was going to be a distraction they shouldn't have approved it. There's no way Kia does this on her own. Also, since she's a student-athlete I would also be surprised to find that she was paid (NCAA rules, etc.); I doubt it. BTW, I read somewhere that Geno reviews the film before it airs but I don't know if that means he has editing privileges.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The March to madness was very good. Wow, Gabby is outstanding, she can play ball, cook and take care of the team. The fridge was stocked and the cabinets. Don't let the cute face fool you.

Reaction Score
Just dug up Bob Seger's Turn the page:

Here I am
On the road again
There I am
Up on the stage
Here I go
Playin' star again
There I go
Turn the page

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
A bit strange. Lots of Geno, Gabby, Kia, Chris and Katie Lou; some of Crystal, zero of Pheesa. The action footage was disappointing. Interviews were vacuous. The camerawork was jerky. Geno came across as a bit of a mystic - lots of scenery chewing, as they say. Also, the first episode takes the season from preseason to almost the present, so a lot of territory was skimpily covered.

The players were engaging. There was a charming scene near the beginning where seemingly the whole team met at Gabby's and Kia's apartment for a group dinner. Katie Lou got an inordinate amount of screen time, to my mind. Liev Schreiber's narration tone was credible.

Personalities aside, the true charm of this year's team is its stunning ball movement, efficient inside play and aggressive defense, none of which came across in the episode. A few feeds and a few outlets were shown, but to nowhere near the effect they could have been.

There is to be another new episode next Wednesday, same time, so maybe they've delve a little more into actual game play with less time to cover.

All in all, I'd rate it a C. Lacking, but acceptable.

A vacuous interview can be a high complement for the one being interviewed. Many asking the questions are looking for “gotchas”, or are just plain nosy.

Saniya Chong was asked on SNY if she considered leaving UConn…she was perplexed, or worse, not a vacuous moment for herself. For me, it was a vapid experience to see this young person so caught by a question.

Just saying….

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well, don't forget the one where you get to watch a new movie every night, no matter how many times you've actually seen it!
Hmmmm. It is strange now that you've mentioned it. There is this oddly familiar women that seems to be in my house whenever I wake up. Maybe she has some answers.

Reaction Score
Your review and description took the words right out my mouth (except for "vacuous", which is not in my vocabulary). I would add that HBO gave you the impression that Chong wasn't part of the team; terrible slight for a Senior. A grade of C is the best I would do, as I was expecting much more. To my eye, SNY's All-Access programing is put together better and a more compelling watch than what we saw Wednesday evening from HBO (but I still enjoyed watching).
as long as we are grading I grant you an F 0r a D Sorry

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom