Importance of the Villanova Win | The Boneyard

Importance of the Villanova Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sitting here tonight and the last few nights, that win was so huge on Saturday night, not only for the obvious short term of playing in the next round, but for the program as a whole. Getting back to the Sweet 16 after all the crap that has happened the last 2-3 years. Ollie finally getting the national recognition he deserves. Our name being mentioned again nationally.

With all the talk of fans flocking to the Garden on Friday night...this has really re-energized our fan base. Francesca talked more about Uconn today than he has in years. And he was right...coaches make their marks in the tournament and Ollie making it to this round in his first tournament go around...huge. This will do wonders for recruiting, and also remind everyone that we are still UConn, and we are going no where!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If it was Francesa, it must have been Yuge!
He talked a lot about UCONN, and since it's Fran
Francesa talked a lot about UCONN today, and since it's Francesa, it must have been the same point repeated over and over and over.....He had a caller call last week who said UCONN was gonna make a run after the St. Joe's win and he pretty much laughed at the guy and said we were lucky to have beaten St. Joe's, that they gave us the game. He's a clown.

Reaction Score
On today's show, a Cuse fan called in and complained about Boeheim never adapting to game situations and sticking to what he has always done....Francesa then mentioned what he feels are the greatest coaches of our time: Wooden, K, Dean Smith and then he added Calhoun & said "Yes, I think he is that good".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On today's show, a Cuse fan called in and complained about Boeheim never adapting to game situations and sticking to what he has always done....Francesa then mentioned what he feels are the greatest coaches of our time: Wooden, K, Dean Smith and then he added Calhoun & said "Yes, I think he is that good".

Not too long ago. I rewatched that 2011 Kentucky FF game. And Cal the genius, kept switching the defense every trip down the floor. And the Huskies adapted their sets to the defense on the fly. That's coaching (and execution). And the coaching lesson he handed Stevens in the 2nd half was epic.

Reaction Score
He should without a doubt be on that level. He's better than K in my mind, at least at in game coaching. Absolutely owned him twice on the biggest stages possible.

As for the OP, I think this is our most important tournament since 1999, so it's fantastic we're taking care of business.

Reaction Score
He should without a doubt be on that level. He's better than K in my mind, at least at in game coaching. Absolutely owned him twice on the biggest stages possible.

As for the OP, I think this is our most important tournament since 1999, so it's fantastic we're taking care of business.

Of course JC is on that level. The other three all won at schools with far greater histories and resources than what UConn had before Calhoun got here.

Reaction Score
Great post and spot on - this fan base needed this for so many reasons. For all the recent dents this program has taken that have been immensely discouraging, a run like this solidifies Ollie as a big time coach, will show major conferences what this fan base presents in NYC and firms up the hoops brand in a very vulnerable state. The stars really couldn't have aligned better. I will keep saying it, but the next big time win is getting out of the AAC. A frenzied crowd and a win or two and it puts the train back on the rails. As mentioned, the pedigree of a coach is established in March. It's already a great debut by Ollie, another win or two makes it special.

Reaction Score
Great post and spot on - this fan base needed this for so many reasons. For all the recent dents this program has taken that have been immensely discouraging, a run like this solidifies Ollie as a big time coach, will show major conferences what this fan base presents in NYC and firms up the hoops brand in a very vulnerable state. The stars really couldn't have aligned better. I will keep saying it, but the next big time win is getting out of the AAC. A frenzied crowd and a win or two and it puts the train back on the rails. As mentioned, the pedigree of a coach is established in March. It's already a great debut by Ollie, another win or two makes it special.

Agreed and well stated. I think the crowd on Sunday for the Regional Final (if we get there) will be absolutely incredible. Prob give most UConn fans the chills. I believe if we get to Sunday our crowd will surprise a lot of people and push UConn to the Final4. It will be that special of an environment. Something some of us will never see again in our lifetime.

Reaction Score
We needed this one on so many levels and KO delivered. I would lay down in traffic for that guy! Seriously our program is so fricken clutch we are the opposite of Duke, Syracuse and even Providence. There is a huge cultural difference around our program that oranges and friars will never understand. WE WIN WHEN IT COUNTS!!!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just want to echo everyone's sentiments. Kevin Ollie is such a class act, and he has brought us out of "purgatory" very quickly. He is obviously not just a fantastic coach, but an exceptional human being. Go Huskies. They really looked great vs Villanova- wow!

Reaction Score
Like the OP and felt this way through the season. I often said this year that a S16 should be the goal and with one, UConn will continue it forward momentum. I would be ecstatic with a E8 visit and feel great about our chances. But if they cannot beat a very good Iowa State team I hope I don't start reading about how the sky is falling on the BY. It's already been a year of tremendous progress. But let's whip it out in NYC.

Reaction Score
Like the OP and felt this way through the season. I often said this year that a S16 should be the goal and with one, UConn will continue it forward momentum. I would be ecstatic with a E8 visit and feel great about our chances. But if they cannot beat a very good Iowa State team I hope I don't start reading about how the sky is falling on the BY. It's already been a year of tremendous progress. But let's whip it out in NYC.
It's a winnable game...but it's also a loseable game. Let's focus on WINNING! and then worry about other things after.

Reaction Score
Sweet 16 is nothing to sneeze at but I think this team wants more...MSG will be rocking and I haven't followed ISU at all but something tells me they haven't experienced big time basketball like this before.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
We needed this one on so many levels and KO delivered. I would lay down in traffic for that guy! Seriously our program is so fricken clutch we are the opposite of Duke, Syracuse and even Providence. There is a huge cultural difference around our program that oranges and friars will never understand. WE WIN WHEN IT COUNTS!!!!!
I would run 50 miles with two smart phones!

Reaction Score
Huge win against Nova and congrats to UConn. MSG is the perfect setting for UConn getting back their rightful spot in the national conversation. You guys earned it! It's been said a million times on this board but I'll say it again....Just win!

Reaction Score
After the Houston loss he posted on Twitter, "UConn, Welcome to Conference USA". I had already decided to watch the game instead of celebrating. So I was pissed. I replied to him on Twitter, "how many times did you make the tournament after Manhattan?" And he blocked me from his Twitter account. For being a tough guy he's pretty thin skinned.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
After the Houston loss he posted on Twitter, "UConn, Welcome to Conference USA". I had already decided to watch the game instead of celebrating. So I was pissed. I replied to him on Twitter, "how many times did you make the tournament after Manhattan?" And he blocked me from his Twitter account. For being a tough guy he's pretty thin skinned.
That's a compliment- he's such a Know-it-all. And after Mad Dog left I couldn't listen to him repeat himself - I couldn't, I just couldn't, I really couldn't...... Yada yada yada. Life is too short! Go Huskies!!!!!

Reaction Score
"how many times did you make the tournament after Manhattan?"

I don't understand what this means without context.

Reaction Score
"how many times did you make the tournament after Manhattan?"

I don't understand what this means without context.
He's mixing up Mike Francesa with Fran Fraschilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom