I'm tired of seeing "lackluster effort" in an article | The Boneyard

I'm tired of seeing "lackluster effort" in an article

Reaction Score
It's tolerable for the first exhibition game or two but not after that. If they aren't giving 100%, which some seem to be regardless of what KO may say in public, to me, that's an indictment on both the coaching staff and established players.

It's not about talent. It's all about playing hard, to the best of your ability, every minute, for the team.

This, more than KO's problems with establishing a solid offensive approach, is what's making me mad. It's likely gonna be a very long season...

Reaction Score
It's tolerable for the first exhibition game or two but not after that. If they aren't giving 100%, which some seem to be regardless of what KO may say in public, to me, that's an indictment on both the coaching staff and established players.

It's not about talent. It's all about playing hard, to the best of your ability, every minute, for the team.

This, more than KO's problems with establishing a solid offensive approach, is what's making me mad. It's likely gonna be a very long season...

It most definitely is about talent. UConn doesn't have nearly enough. UConn is not the UConn we have known for decades.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember the viewing (meet & greet with JC and a handful of others) of Born to Lead and the scene where Jake Voskhul spoke about a practice JC ran them through immediately upon returning to campus after a loss where JC felt there wasn't sufficient effort.

During the Arkansas game I kept saying to myself "KO needs to do something similar to JC's midnight practice from hell once this game is over".

Reaction Score

Talent is a big part of it. They got robbed again of a McD AA which hurts but isn't by any means the only reason. Along with the need of better shooters, defenders and smarter players yet again, they do show signs to me of less than 100% at times and to be honest that's usually an indictment on the staff but even more so the leaders as they are usually the guys I see giving a little less. My how things have changed.

Reaction Score
Do we think they didn't play hard tonight? I thought they played hard throughout. They just weren't tall enough to pass over the zone. Had a few defensive lapses mentally, but to me that's about a young team that's not there yet in knowledge, not in-game hustle. Maybe practice effort.

Reaction Score

I agree. I was thinking about this after the Monmouth game and reading the article. After every game the coach and at least 1 player talks about a lack of effort or how they were sluggish to start a game. When I have time I will go back to articles of every game this season and post a quote that talks about the effort of lackadaisical start. This has been a recurring theme the last few years. It's just not a good look to offer up those excuses after every game.

Reaction Score
The talent is not there, that's true. But goddamnit the lazy passes that get picked off at the top of the zone or the unforced turnovers are infuriating. It's hard enough to win when you're overmatched physically and from a talent standpoint, it's damn near impossible to do it when you play with a halfass effort. What's really irritating is there are stretches where they look like they give a ____ on both ends and they're pretty decent; it's just that those stretches rarely last more than a couple minutes, and they typically come after they've dicked around for 20 minutes and dug a hole.

Reaction Score
I agree. I was thinking about this after the Monmouth game and reading the article. After every game the coach and at least 1 player talks about a lack of effort or how they were sluggish to start a game. When I have time I will go back to articles of every game this season and post a quote that talks about the effort of lackadaisical start. This has been a recurring theme the last few years. It's just not a good look to offer up those excuses after every game.

Yeah but they used to say it when JC was the coach too, kids aren't really smart when talking to the press. "We have to come out at 110% from here on in..." is something I've laughed at over the years from the players after an off game, an off start. Nothing new, but the fact is these guys really do need to improve because they suck when they fall behind.

Reaction Score
Yeah but they used to say it when JC was the coach too, kids aren't really smart when talking to the press. "We have to come out at 110% from here on in..." is something I've laughed at over the years from the players after an off game, an off start. Nothing new, but the fact is these guys really do need to improve because they suck when they fall behind.
I guess it's more prevalent now because the team hasn't played well in a lot of games the last few years. In years they are better you obviously don't hear it as much. That's probably more of the reason for it.

Reaction Score
Talent is a big part of it. They got robbed again of a McD AA which hurts but isn't by any means the only reason. Along with the need of better shooters, defenders and smarter players yet again, they do show signs to me of less than 100% at times and to be honest that's usually an indictment on the staff but even more so the leaders as they are usually the guys I see giving a little less. My how things have changed.

Watching Battle find shots at will and drive strongly by and through defenders, and watching their youngsters contribute and at times control the game tells me that it is more of a talent and athleticism issue. The best athlete that sees significant PT for UConn is Anderson. He has the most speed and hop on the team. That is telling as he is a grad transfer. Adams is skilled and finds ways to get his shot off, but he is not a high level athlete. The freshmen for UConn are not ready to contribute, while those for Syracuse made significant impacts. Moyer and Sibide looked more athletic and skilled than Larrier who is 22 years old. Ollie's recruiting pre-Chill was sub-par in terms of pure athletes who can play basketball. Sadly, I don't think Matthews and Akinjo will make enough of a difference next year to turn things around. Where will UConn be next year without Adams and with Gilbert being a huge ?? I don't even want to think about it. Notice, I didn't have Larrier leaving as I don't

Reaction Score
I agree. I remember that one of the things that Jim Calhoun and Geno had in common was their low tolerance for lackadaisical play. Years ago Ricky Moore made a sloppy pass that was almost stolen. He was immediately taken out of the game and did not return. Against Notre Dame on Sunday, Gabby Williams was getting beat on defense and wasn't getting any rebounds. She was taken out of the game for the entire second half. Each of those moves had a positive effect on the team and the player. I'll admit that I like the way that KO encourages his players but sometimes encouragement is not enough.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The talent is not there, that's true. But goddamnit the lazy passes that get picked off at the top of the zone or the unforced turnovers are infuriating. It's hard enough to win when you're overmatched physically and from a talent standpoint, it's damn near impossible to do it when you play with a halfass effort. What's really irritating is there are stretches where they look like they give a ____ on both ends and they're pretty decent; it's just that those stretches rarely last more than a couple minutes, and they typically come after they've dicked around for 20 minutes and dug a hole.
Sounds like a job for the Seattle Seahawks trainer. Adderall for everyone.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm very tired of the defensive lapses and the lackadaisical passing. This team needs far more commitment, focus and effort for all 40 minutes. Perhaps making them run steps until they drop after watching tape of effort mistakes will do the trick.

Reaction Score

What I saw last night was a UConn team that was not talented and was never going to win that game. After 5 minutes in the 1st half it was over. Syracuse was not that good and we were still outclassed. It's a 40 minute game and although we show flashes, we just don't have the players to be a good team and that's Ollie's fault.

Reaction Score
Against Notre Dame on Sunday, Gabby Williams was getting beat on defense and wasn't getting any rebounds. She was taken out of the game for the entire second half. Each of those moves had a positive effect on the team and the player.
Actually Gabby was suffering from a migraine (which probably caused her sub-par play)...it wasn't laziness.

Reaction Score
How are things in LA? My friend's have been sending me some wild videos and pictures.

Reaction Score
I agree. I remember that one of the things that Jim Calhoun and Geno had in common was their low tolerance for lackadaisical play. Years ago Ricky Moore made a sloppy pass that was almost stolen. He was immediately taken out of the game and did not return. Against Notre Dame on Sunday, Gabby Williams was getting beat on defense and wasn't getting any rebounds. She was taken out of the game for the entire second half. Each of those moves had a positive effect on the team and the player. I'll admit that I like the way that KO encourages his players but sometimes encouragement is not enough.

I'll well aware of the issues in comparing the two teams. But one thing that I like about the women that I don't see with the men now is in-game teaching. Often a woman comes out the game, and she sits next to Chris Dailey who's coaching/teaching her about what just happened. When one of KO's guys misses assignments, etc., let one of the assistants spend a few moments with him emphasizing whatever they teach in practice.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
And the really frustrating thing (I don't claim to be the first to point this out) is that this has been a pattern for 3+ seasons now, particularly in some of our bigger games. Half-ass pretty much the first 25 minutes, occasionally show flashes of brilliance, and then run out of gas/wilt down the stretch. And this is the case even with total roster turnover in those 3+ seasons, so it's really hard to fathom that this malaise isn't coming from the top.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Maybe they look good because we are in such a hole the other guys start dicking around

Reaction Score
Do we think they didn't play hard tonight? I thought they played hard throughout. They just weren't tall enough to pass over the zone. Had a few defensive lapses mentally, but to me that's about a young team that's not there yet in knowledge, not in-game hustle. Maybe practice effort.

I thought they played hard in the second half. I thought the first half was as bad a defensive half as I've ever seen a UConn team play in terms of effort.

Reaction Score
Something I've been concerned about for years is that we don't seem to have any gym rats. I was living on campus in 2011 and guys like Kemba, Bazz, Lamb, and Giffey were in the gym getting shots up what seemed like every night. Those guys lived in the gym and put up an insane amount of shots everyday. It's been a while since we've had guys like that it seems. Never hear stories about these guys putting extra work into their shots.

Reaction Score
I think this is the first time a hole and dick were used in a post that wasn’t deleted.

Well done.
If I was a mod I'd delete your post, but you'd probably overrule.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of hearing jalen and KO talk about what went wrong in the game in post game press conferences and say there going to work on it in practice and get better. It's annoying because it's always the same problem "we didn't play together" "our effort wasn't there tonight" "we were too careless with the ball".

Off topic why does it seem like when we go switch from man to zone everyone is not on the same page? An example of this was when Battle had that easy layup in the first half and polley thought it was zone when everyone else was playing man. It was the ninth game of the year last night, not the first.

C

Chief00

When you lack talent it’s easier to get discouraged and that translates to lack of effort. However, that doesn’t explain the slow starts and the lack of preparation. We are very slow to identify known three point shooters early on, yesterday we were careless with the ball and lacked diligence on the boards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom