I'm not crazy about hiring DC for HC. Sounds like more boring football. | The Boneyard

I'm not crazy about hiring DC for HC. Sounds like more boring football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The best teams build from defense up. All three coaches we've hired in the FBS era were defensive minds. But now we have playmakers in place for offense. Need a good OC. I could imagine Diaco knows that after coaching under Brian Kelly. Some people seem to skip over the fact Diaco was an assistant head coach at Notre Dame.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You will enjoy seeing opposing QBs pissing their cups

Reaction Score
TDH, is that you?

No Fairfield, it's not. However, dander isn't wrong. I'm OK (better than OK) with this hire. Job #1 for any HC is recruiting, recruiting and more recruiting. Talent wins in college football way more often than x's and o's.

Having said that, we have clearly had a renaissance of late (last three games) on offense. Real touchdowns and lots of them. Air Cochran has been a huge part of that. G Davis is clearly UConn's best player. The entire receiving corp has come alive. So . . . while I don't care that the new coaches background is on the defensive side of the ball, I will expect that he is smart enough to design and field a modern day college offense - high scoring, skewed slightly towards the passing game, and designed to lead the conference in just about every offensive statistical category. Marketing 101 in today's game - on the field excitement. Play booklet has to be more than RE & PP's 3 pages of run right, run left, run up the middle.

Reaction Score
The best teams build from defense up. All three coaches we've hired in the FBS era were defensive minds. But now we have playmakers in place for offense. Need a good OC. I could imagine Diaco knows that after coaching under Brian Kelly. Some people seem to skip over the fact Diaco was an assistant head coach at Notre Dame.

I wonder if TJ was brought up during the interview? Warde, I know would love to keep him on, and knowing that Diaco and Weist were friends and worked together before, maybe brought it up during the interview? Or maybe Diaco brought it up? Also makes sense why Diaco was hired over Narduzzi. We will see very, very, soon if TJ is staying on as our OC.

Reaction Score
I wonder if TJ was brought up during the interview? Warde, I know would love to keep him on, and knowing that Diaco and Weist were friends and worked together before, maybe brought it up during the interview? Or maybe Diaco brought it up? Also makes sense why Diaco was hired over Narduzzi. We will see very, very, soon if TJ is staying on as our OC.

Seems like lower-than-expected Diaco salary will make room for a bigger TJ one. Who knows? Hope TJ stays but if he doesn't at least keep some continuity with Day.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bill Belichick is a defensive coach. He has won 10 out of the last 11 AFC East titles and 3 out of 5 Super Bowls. His team holds the (current) record for most points in a season, with a 6th round draft pick quarterback who holds the record (currently) for most TD passes in a season.

Brian Billick was an offensive master mind. The 2007 Patriots broke his Minnesota Vikings scoring record (led by Randal Freakin' Cunningham). He won the Super Bowl with a team that did not score an offensive TD for 5 game and a scrap heap QB who's main job duty was to turn around and give the ball to Jamal Lewis.

Good coaches can coach. Period.

Reaction Score
Hope TJ does stay. I've real done a 180 on him. He did a terrific job over the last eight games. Slow start, yes. Should have won the South Florida game, but the resurrection of a DOA offense was outstanding. Hope he is the offensive coordinator and keeps building on Air Cochran and Davis.

Would he have been the right choice as the new head coach? Don't know. But . . . what I do know is UConn couldn't afford to hire someone that may or may not be able to recruit at this level. And that was the gamble, perhaps too much of one, with Weist. But I do love the offense he's developed. 56 forward passes and 45 points. That's a lot of output for an offense that had been dormant for too many years now.

Reaction Score

Good point!

Reaction Score
How many times do you have to hear: "Offense Wins Games, Defense Wins Championships".
Not recently when comes to UConn football. And quietly honestly, it would have been longer than that had West Virginia not fumbled the ball 7 times (including the gift in OT) in the '10 game.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have hope that since Diaco coached for Brian Kelley...he understands the importance of offense. Just look at Florida if you want to see what happens when you have a defensive minded coach who doesn't make the right hire for offense. WM has mentioned the importance of offense before...so I think that the OC hire will be key to Diaco's success.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I consider a 21-3 win to be a dominating win. I enjoy seeing our D sack the opposing QB, stuff the run, force fumbles and make INT's, especially pick-6's. If we get a Donald Brown type running game that eats up the clock it keeps the opposing O off the field, I enjoy that too. TDH gets no joy from any of that. His loss.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard would someone complain about the HC before he even is announced at the press conference. I thought I was the Debbie downer, wow! :rolleyes:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Even though I'll be first to admit after clawson I wanted Herman but let's give superman a chance. You never know maybe he'll hire some b*d OC and we will all be happy.

Reaction Score

When and where did they work together? TJ got to Cinci in 2010 and Diaco was only there for 2009 season. Did they work together somewhere else or do people just keep throwing out incorrect information because they want TJ to stay?

Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard would someone complain about the HC before he even is announced at the press conference. I thought I was the Debbie downer, wow! :rolleyes:
That happens everywhere.

Reaction Score
How many times do you have to hear: "Offense Wins Games, Defense Wins Championships".
I actually think it's the other way around. If you need a two minute offense in the Super Bowl or NFC championship to get that winning field goal or TD, the defense while so important is on the sideline watching. Also, remember the greatest NFL defense in history (arguably), never won a Super Bowl or post season anything. I remember that defense so well, and remember how they just pushed opposing offenses up and down the field almost at will. It was incredible to watch, and I almost became an Eagles fan that year. Bottom line was though, their offense really sucked.

http://collingswood.patch.com/groups/mike-divineys-blog/p/bp--defenses-ferocity-makes-it-best-ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom