I'm happy with our freshman | The Boneyard

I'm happy with our freshman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And Jalen of course. But we just didn't bring forward enough quality to go with them to make it work without Larrier and Gilbert. If Facey and Brimah had made that leap then maybe but it didn't happen. I also like the fact that Jackson and Vital are getting so much time but by definition if that happens we are in trouble as a team. Now I know what KO is thinking. He's like I'm going to put together a rotation that can get us in the tourney and to a final four but that is folly. Bench Facey, play Enoch and the kids and find out what we've got for next year. I'm fine with that.

Reaction Score
Brimah is improved but facey is awful.
I think I would correct that by saying that Brimah hasn't regressed as much as Facey. And that's saying something, since Facey wasn't all that much last year. Brimah should get 6-7 rebounds per game by accident and 8-10 with effort, and simply boxing out. The fact that he hasn't learned that yet to me means he hasn't improved at all.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We still have cuse, Ohio state, auburn, and gtown as major games. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet. I would give a quick hook to the seniors who aren't helping. Being in the AAC we can still do well. The tourney is in Hartford. Ollie needs to figure out the lineups and rotations. But the freshmen should not be getting any shllt. They're forced into action and have played well. Defense is the hardest to learn at this level. We are an extremely young team

Reaction Score
Expected so much more from Facey . Kept waiting , year 1, year 2, and now in year 4 it's pretty much over now . Didn't have the highest expectations , he was Gatorade player of the year in New York or something like that but to regress like this is just hard to figure . Like him alot though and to hope he has a few moments in his last year .

C

Chief00

And Jalen of course. But we just didn't bring forward enough quality to go with them to make it work without Larrier and Gilbert. If Facey and Brimah had made that leap then maybe but it didn't happen. I also like the fact that Jackson and Vital are getting so much time but by definition if that happens we are in trouble as a team. Now I know what KO is thinking. He's like I'm going to put together a rotation that can get us in the tourney and to a final four but that is folly. Bench Facey, play Enoch and the kids and find out what we've got for next year. I'm fine with that.

Chief00 can't really argue with your conclusions other than coaches tend to play seniors regardless of the facts on the ground.

C

Chief00

Vital is blowing my expectations out of the water. Plays hard, can shoot a little, and holding his own out there despite probably expecting to be the 5th guard

Quite frankly, the difference between Vitale and Facey is BB IQ and toughness. Different positions and height but that's why one helps us win games and the other doesn't.

Reaction Score
Chief00 can't really argue with your conclusions other than coaches tend to play seniors regardless of the facts on the ground.

How can they not play the seniors chief? I mean they are out to win games and Amida gives them the best chance as we speak. I would love for Steve to get more time but it van't be handed to him because they need to prep for next year 5 games into the season. Kentan has had some good minutes but he's not overplayed and with our depth he also has to play. If Juwan was ready for 20-25 minutes I think you would see more of him but it looks like that will take time. I mean I admit we are weak with our front court playing so many minutes but they are the best front court offered to us. These kids need help up front, it;s obvious but it's not coming in January 2017.

And Rodney with all of his limitations still can help this team win and deserves the minutes, he's still here. The frosh are getting real good minutes and it will be very valuable for the future. All is fine considering.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
And Rodney with all of his limitations still can help this team win and deserves the minutes, he's still here.
This team needs Rodney and Rodney needs this team.

He will play 35+ minutes out of pure necessity, and will be relied upon to provide as much offense as he can generate. I hope with that kind of green light, he can stop pressing and just play. You can tell when Rodney thinks when he's playing, the exact moment when he's made up his mind to shoot, go crashing to the basket, or try to reach in when he's playing defense. And when he thinks, bad things seem to happen. He, like few other players we've had before, never looks like he's playing instinctually. In my opinion, a player is never more in the zone than when he's deeply in touch with that kind of primally driven reaction behavior.

C

Chief00

How can they not play the seniors chief? I mean they are out to win games and Amida gives them the best chance as we speak. I would love for Steve to get more time but it van't be handed to him because they need to prep for next year 5 games into the season. Kentan has had some good minutes but he's not overplayed and with our depth he also has to play. If Juwan was ready for 20-25 minutes I think you would see more of him but it looks like that will take time. I mean I admit we are weak with our front court playing so many minutes but they are the best front court offered to us. These kids need help up front, it;s obvious but it's not coming in January 2017.

And Rodney with all of his limitations still can help this team win and deserves the minutes, he's still here. The frosh are getting real good minutes and it will be very valuable for the future. All is fine considering.
Again, quite frankly, Steve's production has been a disappointment. While the player is accountable - there is also no doubt the Bigs coaching is very sub par.

Reaction Score
Again, quite frankly, Steve's production has been a disappointment. While the player is accountable - there is also no doubt the Bigs coaching is very sub par.

While a coach or coaches who understands what "bigs" need to do is a must for any team, it would certainly be unfair to rate any coach on the product he's been dealt on this squad. Sorry you talk all about BB IQ in one corner of your mouth and then dismiss it so yu can applaud what Clyde did. Not buying it. Fact is our bigs have a small ceiling and it's that simple. There not an NBA coach out there who is going to suddenly make AB into Kevin McHale or even teach him one of his moves, it's just not there. And they're not going to suddenly help Steve understand how to help and react on defense. Watch other games, kids come in ready and able.

I've gone to the "captain practices"over the year and stumbled on the one-on-one's allowed by the NCAA in which Glen Miller and even Karl Hobbs haven been with big or 2 and they drill low post moves into them for an hour or 2 and repeat them. It's being taught for sure and it's also not catching on for game use because of the students. Way off base on this - you get better prepared players coming in you suddenly have good big man coaches.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think I would correct that by saying that Brimah hasn't regressed as much as Facey. And that's saying something, since Facey wasn't all that much last year. Brimah should get 6-7 rebounds per game by accident and 8-10 with effort, and simply boxing out. The fact that he hasn't learned that yet to me means he hasn't improved at all.
Brimah has showed an improved effort in boxing out. Needs to figure out how to do it without fouling.

Reaction Score
I'd like someone to explain to me how coaches can cure an inside player's "hands of stone"?

Reaction Score
I'd like someone to explain to me how coaches can cure an inside player's "hands of stone"?

I always thought good hands were just a genetic gift. That's until my senior year of high school when I watched a kid I played football with completely transform his ability to catch. He was the definition of stone hands from age 8 until 16. From then on out he worked his tail off, hours per day, just working on catching. He would stay after two-a-days with our QB&WR coach until the sun started to go down just working on catching a football. After two years of this he became one of the most sure-handed receivers on the team and even ended up playing college football on a scholarship. After that it became apparent to me that it is all reps, coaching, and drive. With enough work you can become average at anything.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the difference between Vitale and Facey is BB IQ and toughness. Different positions and height but that's why one helps us win games and the other doesn't.
His name is "Vital." You've been spelling it wrong for months. No big deal, it's expected from a casual fan such as yourself, just thought I would bring it to your attention.

Reaction Score
Brimah has showed an improved effort in boxing out. Needs to figure out how to do it without fouling.

Yes I agree he has. 2 fouls though form behind, one against Ok St where he just threw his forearm up the guys neck and pushed him then the other one vs Oregon where he used the guard in 5-6 feet when he would've had that rebound without the foul just due to size. I liked the first one because it showed as you say more effort, in the past he would've accepted being boxed and retreated at least he's trying to get away with the little shove now he need to learn the "little" stuff, like the knee jab in the a** or thighs for better positioning or a low forearm.

But yes noticeably trying to get more engaged.

Reaction Score
This team needs Rodney and Rodney needs this team.

He will play 35+ minutes out of pure necessity, and will be relied upon to provide as much offense as he can generate. I hope with that kind of green light, he can stop pressing and just play. You can tell when Rodney thinks when he's playing, the exact moment when he's made up his mind to shoot, go crashing to the basket, or try to reach in when he's playing defense. And when he thinks, bad things seem to happen. He, like few other players we've had before, never looks like he's playing instinctually. In my opinion, a player is never more in the zone than when he's deeply in touch with that kind of primally driven reaction behavior.
I agree. Great DI guards are instinctual, intuitive, play one or more moves ahead of everyone else on the court. We've watched Purvis for 3 years now and whether its nerves, talent, or coaching, hes never been this player. Rodney is a read and react player and that isn't going to change this season.

If he is going to be playing 35+ minutes and we want UConn to win, Purvis needs more catch and shoot off open screens and less time with the ball in his hands; I'd also love if he made me eat my words on this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom