I'll Say It... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'll Say It...

Reaction Score
Objectively hard to justify putting us ahead of Kansas if both of us have the same amount of losses. I defend us in that game whenever I get the chance but in the end they have the W.
Nobody actually thinks Kansas is better than UConn. As my KU buddy said, "We played you guys at the perfect time in the perfect location." Kansas just lost to UCF, we're passing them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to think we move up one spot, but I also find it tough to justify putting people above us given the streak that we are on. We probably would've helped our case for the number one slot if we didn't fall asleep for the last five minutes of last nights game. As long as we are ranked in the top four I'm content.

Reaction Score
Nobody actually thinks Kansas is better than UConn. As my KU buddy said, "We played you guys at the perfect time in the perfect location." Kansas just lost to UCF, we're passing them.
I don’t circle many non-UConn games on my calendar, but OK at Kansas is definitely one I’ll be watching.

Can’t remember which postgame show it was but I was flipping around after our game and one of the talking heads made what I thought was a great point. KU has one of the best resumes in terms of wins against top teams this year (UConn, UK, Tenn.,) but they’ve also had a lot of really close ones against incredibly subpar competition. This type of loss has been coming for them, they’ve just staved it off for a while.

Teams are going to start following the cheat code and selling out to defend Hunter, Adams and McCullers and daring Jackson and Harris to beat them. It’s not gonna work every night but I don’t think this is the last head scratcher for KU this year, especially on the road in the B12.

Reaction Score
Objectively hard to justify putting us ahead of Kansas if both of us have the same amount of losses. I defend us in that game whenever I get the chance but in the end they have the W.
It's actually quite easy to justify it, just look at any of the analytics rankings. Just make sure you scroll down far enough because that's where you'll have to go to find Kansas

Reaction Score
Obviously everyone can talk about what they want, but to me this is not the right discussion coming off last night. The right discussion is that we're now 1/4 through the Big East schedule, having played to date without our 7'2" lottery pick, and having played 3 of 5 on the road, and we're still tied for first. One game ahead of Creighton and two ahead of Marquette. Looking at the schedule for the next 5, and assuming (conservatively I hope) that maybe we get DC back for the second half of the conference schedule, we have 3 games we should win at home, Creighton at home and at Nova. Win 1 of those 2, get to 8-2 in conference over the next 3 weeks, and enter the second half no worse than tied for first and ready to start putting all our weapons together for the stretch run.

Pollsters can do what they want. But last night's really strong performance given all the circumstances (and excluding that we decided to take a knee and run out the clock a minute too early, and didn't figure out that that strategy requires not fouling on defense) has put us in a strong position to finally win this damn conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is we'll end up at #2 behind Purdue. Kansas and Houston weren't getting many 1st place votes to begin with, so they'll drop down, but Purdue had 54. Even if they drop most and we move up on most ballots, that's a big gap to make up

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's actually quite easy to justify it, just look at any of the analytics rankings. Just make sure you scroll down far enough because that's where you'll have to go to find Kansas
Not just that, recent wins and losses always take precedence for voters. That changes because it's UConn?

Reaction Score
I don’t circle many non-UConn games on my calendar, but OK at Kansas is definitely one I’ll be watching.

Can’t remember which postgame show it was but I was flipping around after our game and one of the talking heads made what I thought was a great point. KU has one of the best resumes in terms of wins against top teams this year (UConn, UK, Tenn.,) but they’ve also had a lot of really close ones against incredibly subpar competition. This type of loss has been coming for them, they’ve just staved it off for a while.

Teams are going to start following the cheat code and selling out to defend Hunter, Adams and McCullers and daring Jackson and Harris to beat them. It’s not gonna work every night but I don’t think this is the last head scratcher for KU this year, especially on the road in the B12.
Agreed, they don't really have depth. If Dickinson is in foul trouble they're in trouble, they only really have three scorers. I don't think they have the horses to win it all.

Reaction Score
The narrative that we were the only team in the top 5 who didn't lose in siimilar road games will give us some ballast and let us jump up 3 spots. Voters are often looking for social cache to make a move. This makes it straight forward.

It definitely won't be unanimous and I expect we'll be close to Purdue.

One big caveat: This relies on Texas staying a Q1 win. Some voters will look at the quad resumes and we have to keep it at least close there.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The AP poll is about what have you done for me lately. We will be #1 Monday if we beat Georgetown.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The first time we hit No. 1, in 1995, we had recently been pasted by Kansas. It was indeed hard to say then that we deserved the top ranking over Kansas.
This is not that. If we are to rise to No. 1 it will be well justified.

Reaction Score
#'s 1, 2, 3 and 5 have all lost to unranked teams this week, so after we beat Georgetown...let's say it together: "We're # 1!"

Obviously would rather have that rank in April, but still would be a cool in-season honor. Now let's go take care of Mr. Ed on Sunday. Of course, of course.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Outside of the UConn men's basketball team's victorious locker room on Wednesday night, not long after the Huskies had completed their Midwest sweep of Butler and Xavier, Hassan Diarra was informed that Kansas had just been beaten by UCF.

"Kansas lost!?," Diarra shouted. "Oh, wow!"

Then, the realization seemed to enter the senior guard's mind. Kansas' loss, along with losses by Purdue and Houston the day before, meant that all three teams ranked ahead of the Huskies in the AP Top 25 poll had suffered losses in a 24-hour span. Even the team ranked right behind the fourth-ranked Huskies, Tennessee, had lost.

That meant ...

"Nobody say anything," Diarra exclaimed. "We don't want to jinx anything!"

Reaction Score

this is timely. bottom line we dont get our due respect from the AP poll because they dont release a final poll after the tourney like the Coaches Poll does. why not??? in other words, we've never finish the year #1 in the AP. that really hurts us in this #18 overall ranking.

Reaction Score
I’m in the camp that would prefer not be ranked #1. There’s really no benefit other than feeling good for a little bit. I doubt it makes that much difference to a UConn recruit. Invariably we would lose a game then get knocked out of the top spot and all the haters would come out and say “told you UConn is overrated!” I would much rather have that chip on the teams shoulder to use as a motivator.

Reaction Score

this is timely. bottom line we dont get our due respect from the AP poll because they dont release a final poll after the tourney like the Coaches Poll does. why not??? in other words, we've never finish the year #1 in the AP. that really hurts us in this #18 overall ranking.
Not sure how it really hurts us, seems like it would have an incredbly minor impact.

Reaction Score
#'s 1, 2, 3 and 5 have all lost to unranked teams this week, so after we beat Georgetown...let's say it together: "We're # 1!"

Obviously would rather have that rank in April, but still would be a cool in-season honor. Now let's go take care of Mr. Ed on Sunday. Of course, of course.
My guess is we end up at 2 or 3 with Purdue staying at 1. The writers are in love with Purdue and Edey and the Kansas and Houston losses give them an excuse to keep them there. They also love Houston and Sampson and they have only 1 loss. Kansas is going down- of the three losses UCF is the worst.

Reaction Score
I’m in the camp that would prefer not be ranked #1. There’s really no benefit other than feeling good for a little bit. I doubt it makes that much difference to a UConn recruit. Invariably we would lose a game then get knocked out of the top spot and all the haters would come out and say “told you UConn is overrated!” I would much rather have that chip on the teams shoulder to use as a motivator.
That's a defeatist attitude.

We're the defending national champs. They already have the bullseye on their back. We're the best team in the country so get to #1, don't give it up and run through March to a repeat. Stop being Chicken Littles.

Reaction Score
I find the UNC angel to be super annoying. On one hand I hate them alot and think they are super overrated but on the other hand them being ranked top 10 helps us in our own ranking. I think we end up at 2 after it all

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That's a defeatist attitude.

We're the defending national champs. They already have the bullseye on their back. We're the best team in the country so get to #1, don't give it up and run through March to a repeat. Stop being Chicken Littles.
Some of our fanbase loves the little engine that could story with UConn even though we have the best program in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom